“you could probably do better” 3 of 5 stars

Dunsmuir Lodge
6604 Dunsmuir Avenue, Dunsmuir, CA 96025   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Dunsmuir
Portland, Oregon
“you could probably do better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Headed north we were too tired to keep going so we stopped here. I wish we had kept going because there were more places to choose from just a little farther. The place was quiet & clean but thought the price ($89) was high for what you got. A pedestal sink in the bathroom so no place to put your stuff. One outlet in the bathroom (on the light) that was turned the wrong way for a large plug to fit. We were told we were getting a king sized bed & we were charged the king price. The bed was at best a queen. When we asked about it in the morning, their reply was "that's what we call our king". Well a queen sized bed is not a king no matter what you call it. I give them points for cleanliness but I wouldn't stay there again unless there was no other choice.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I booked this lodge on-line after reading reviews from two sites. It lived up to its billing.

The front desk person was very friendly and helpful. He told us the A/C didn't work in the room we booked so gave us a free upgrade. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The WIFI was a decent speed. The setting is beautiful.

It is evident that management is bending over backwards to encourage new customers. I have stayed in Dunsmuir about a dozen times over the years. This was my best experience with lodging there. I will definitely stay here again on future trips through the area.

Room Tip: Any room is good just depends on size needed.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Don't get me wrong, this part of northern CA is absolutely gorgeous in an isolated, mountainous kinda way. This place is exactly what you'd expect in an isolated part of the state - it's simply a decent-enough little motel with clean rooms, an old but good-enough TV bolted to the bureau, just enough towels, soft-enough sheets, and a terrific meadow/mountain view off the back yard which sports a couple of picnic tables.

The gentleman at check in was pleasant enough, not particularly chatty, but efficient and direct. We arrived on a hot afternoon and walked into a very cool room, thank goodness. As the night got cooler, the AC (which is controlled by the proprietor), turned off and we opened the windows. The walls are paper thin and you're likely to hear the TV and/or conversations of your neighbors. Parking - like most motels - is right in front of your room door.

There's a soda machine and an ice machine on property, and a few decent restaurants about 1/2 mile down the road in the town of Dunsmuir, which is looking a little worse for wear, with quite a few empty storefronts - especially down by the river - due to the recession.

If you're looking to visit Castle Crags State Park and aren't camping in the park, this place is the closest and decently priced. It's just what you'd expect and you won't regret staying there.

Room Tip: Don't worry, they'll put you in the best they have available.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Stopped here for the night on a motorcycle trip from Canada to San Francisco. I phoned ahead to reserve a room, telling the fellow that I didn't need a palace, and price was my main concern. I was given room #10, which apparently is their cheapest. I haven't seen their other rooms, but this one is most definitely the cleanest, nicest room I have stayed in yet. I went for a ride the next day to a nearby town to grab some shaving cream and a couple other random items I had forgotten to pack into my tank bag. While shopping, a girl backed over my motorcycle while parallel parking in front of me, breaking off the kickstand and foot peg. Now stuck in Dunsmuir for a few days while arranging for the new parts to be ordered in at the Honda shop in Redding, the staff here have been overwhelmingly helpful and friendly, from procuring chain lube from thin air, to helping tape up broken parts so that I can still ride locally, to showing me some great little motorcycle roads nearby that I can ride without having to stop or park, being that my bike has no kickstand and must be leaned up against something wherever I stop. One of the owners even went so far as to loan me his GPS unit and mark out some roads for me so I wouldn't get lost. Friendly, Helpful, Clean, Tidy, these folks have turned a negative situation into a wonderful unexpected stay. 5 stars all around and two enthusiastic thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2012
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We got a very late start that day. Over-scheduled, over-loaded, we were already tired when we got on the road. By the time we hit the Siskiyou Mountains it was nearing mid-night. We were exhausted. As we rounded yet another treacherous curve on the dark highway we spotted a sign for the Dunsmuir Lodge.

We pulled off the highway and drove down a short street to the lodge, obviously an older motel, renamed in recent years. All we sought was a decent bed and a not too grungy bathroom.

What we found was a pleasant room with a super-comfortable queen bed and a spotless bathroom with all the needed amenities. As small as the room was it was well appointed with a refrigerator and a table with chairs where we ate a hasty picnic supper.

We slept hard and well. Because the lodge is away from busy I-5, it is very quiet at night. As we tossed our bags in the car early the next morning, we looked around at the attractive grounds of the lodge and decided this may be a place to return to for a longer stay. Close to the mountains for hiking, a clean and bright room at a reasonable price--what more could we ask?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Davie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Beautifully clean room with a huge king bed. Close to I5 and Dunsmuir. It was a nice place to stop and relax for one night on our way to Crater Lake.

• Stayed June 2012
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Customer service was very good, room exceptionally clean for an older lodge. Dunsmuir Lodge had everything needed for an overnight stay including price; coffee, fridge & freezer that worked, A/C, TV etc. I was surprised how updated our room looked compared to the age of the building, I felt the "TLC" that goes into this little lodge. I did hear pipes for approx. 10 minutes & my guess is it was the shower in the adjoining unit, then peace at night. Also, we enjoyed sitting outside and eating at a local brew pub. I'll stay at DL again.

Room Tip: Was happy with room 112 (upstairs)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dunsmuir Lodge? Share your experiences!