“Nice Change of Pace - Rob F.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Dunsmuir
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Redding, California
“Nice Change of Pace - Rob F.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

2013/09/22. Family outing - 3 adults, no kids. First visit here for two of the three. Took a scenic drive up from Redding. Arrived without a reservation around 5:30. Was seated at one of the one or two remaining unreserved tables. Reservation recommended. Quiet and inviting environment. Unique cuisine. They take a risk with items that you wouldn't consider to have universal appeal, like a beet salad for instance, but half the fun is getting away from the mundane. Had the filet medallions with croquettes and the roasted chicken on a bed of lentils. Baked eggplant based appetizer. All were delicious. Bottle of very nice Rexx Hill Pinot Noir. Wanted also a glass of sweeter white for my elderly mother, but the only two options on the wine list were not available. Went with a Dow's Ruby Port dessert aperitif as a substitute. Both the bottle of Pinot and the glass of Port were within the realm of reason on pricing, considering the regular retail prices of both, and the markups most restaurants make on wines. Other comments: Attentive service, bordering on hovering at times. Probably wouldn't recommend for a family outing with younger kids. Didn't see mac and cheese on the menu :) If you are looking for a change of pace and a little adventure in dinning, you will enjoy this restaurant. Dinner for three plus wine and appetizer, with tip - $150. Between $$-$$$. Would definitely recommend to friends and family.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Francisco, California
“amazing, go there if you can!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

delicious food (I had the tuna, my wife the fettuccine), romantic atmosphere having dinner in the garden under pergola with grapes, cute town.

Visited August 2013
Georgetown TX
“In Austin TX now”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

this is the best place in the US and SA good wine list and great people. have a glass of Rose for me can't wait till I can get back. Rooster and I miss you all

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
norcal
“Ate there last week...going again tonight because it was so good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This place is definitely worth a repeat. I have eaten here several times in the past and always enjoyed the visit. We ate here last week and the everything was excellent. Even though they have a good wine list, we always bring a great Napa Cab and order something new from the wine list. If you order a bottle from the list, they do not charge corkage,,,awesome...what a great excuse to have two bottle of wine and try something new. The beet salad was incredible. the corn beignets are tasty. The pasta special and the filet were both outstanding and the three (oh yea) deserts were all very good. I love creme brule and this did not disappoint. Service was perfect. I had to go to Las Vegas for the week as i do quite often...Let me say I did not have a meal near this good (at any price) in Vegas and I went to several good steak houses. The most recent poster obviously does not have experience eating quality high end food or having the option of trying "strange" foods like tripe or squid. I live in Mount Shasta but I travel and eat at many high end restaurants quite often. I would put this place up against most of them at triple the price...I would eat here once a week if I was home that much...looking forward to two weeks in a row...awesome

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mt Shasta CA
“Pretentious, Over-priced & Not That Good!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I read the great reviews for this place and decided to revisit Cafe Maddalena after having a bad experience several years ago. I should have saved myself the time and expense. Not much has improved.
First I read the posted on-line menu, saw that there were several items that sounded yummy. Unfortunately none of them were still on the menu, which was very tiny in selection and non-appealing to me or my friend. Why is it that "chefs" think weird is gourmet?? And odd sides are enchanting? I am very adventurous in trying new food but it has to taste good beyond just being "unique". Cafe Maddalena failed.
I ordered an over-priced entree that, at least sounded edible, just because my friend and I were starving and didn't want to have to go some place else. My dogs enjoyed the majority of it, as I took most of it home and whipped up my own dinner. My friend's dinner also when to the dogs - hers.
In addition to the blah food, my waiter was very condescending and snooty. He didn't even inform us of the night's specials. I only heard about them, after I had ordered, by over-hearing a different waiter tell the table next to me. Too bad, I would have ordered the (much more expensive) special had I known about it.
To all the reviewers who love this place - I hope you discover GOOD food sometime in your life.
I shan't be visiting Cafe Maddalena again.

• Visited July 2013