“Pleasant ambiance, quite good food - ignore the location” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
SF Bay Area
“Pleasant ambiance, quite good food - ignore the location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We decided to meet another couple half-way for lunch and picked Dublin. Based on TripAdvisor and its caveats we selected Khyber Pass Kabobs - it is located in an old, run down strip mall, which does not present an welcoming invitation for the restaurant. However, once inside we were seated in a pleasant surrounding with decor indigenous to Afghanistan and the outside is forgotten. There is traditional table seating as well as an area where one can dine native - seated on the floor.

Service was very good and extremely hospitable. A flat bread was offered with a mild red sauce for dipping as well as a spicier green sauce of cilantro, green pepper, vinegar and some other seasonings - they were similar to some Mexican sauces but had their own unique flavor and were very good.

We started with a generous sized "chopped" salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion and a hint of mint. A unique blend and preparation of iced tea was the beverage of choice and was very good. For entrees beef kabobs and Quablili Pallow (lamb shank), a house specialty, were chosen and they too were very good.

When we finished eating a complimentary tea was offered along with rice pudding for dessert - very good a very nice way to end the lunch.

We had a very nice lunch and would gladly return again for very good, moderately priced Afghani food.

• Visited December 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“All around OUTSTANDING!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend, sister and I stopped by while driving through Dublin. We LoVEd it!!! Everything we ordered was absolutely perfect! Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
Nor Cal
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Oh my... We stopped by this place on our way back to San Ramon. At first we were a little apprehensive because it’s located in a strip mall and looked very dark. We stood at the entrance for what felt like eternity without anyone attempting to help us. I am not someone who likes to wait and I almost walked out of this place. I am so glad we didn't. Sooner after a very nice lady who happened to be the owner came out from the back at sat us. She asked us if we had ever been there and the moment we said no she just started bring dishes out of the back for us to try. The food was absolutely amazing but the best part was learning about her and her husband and how they started this restaurant. I highly recommend this place if you’re looking for something different and great food.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Eavabug
San Jose, California
“I must of came during a bad time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Second Experience eating Afghan food, and first time at Khyber Pass. I came on a Wednesday evening for dinner and had ordered the Beef Tikka Kabob. I really enjoyed the rice, and the beef was cooked perfectly. It took a while for the food to come out, and I was surprised because there were only two other tables taken.

I really hate to poorly rate on the service because I know that everyone loves the food and people who work there, but in all honesty, there were a few things that were not "great."
The young waitress was courteous, but she was very forgetful; she forgot my drink, and I had to ask for it twice. We had ordered Bolani, and the waitress had also forgotten to give us this... which we found out later that we had paid for it. Also, one of the meals came much later than the rest. It also took a while for her to come back to take our dessert order.

So, the food was great!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Morgan L
San Leandro, California
“I guess you could call me a regular now!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

I have had the lamb, beef... Well most of the menu since my last review. I have never felt disappointed with any choice I've made! My wife also loves their food! I work in Dublin every Wednesday evening and I try to stop in weekly if time permits!

• Visited September 2013