“A very popular local sushi place” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Pleasanton, California
“A very popular local sushi place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

It's a bit a surprise to find such a popular place in such a sleepy street mall. With probably a half of the stores in that mall vacant Amakara clearly stands out. It is always packed and super busy.

What's the secret? Basically it's the food and the feel. The put some interesting twists on the traditional rolls and they do look and taste good. Also, they have a very modern style - a lot of hard polished surfaces, open kitchen with nice looking guys preparing meals, deep colors, lights - again, that urban downtown chic feels as a bit of a surprise in that small town area, but it's very authentic and works pretty well.

Overall, you might need to wait to be seated for quite a while, but it's worth it.

Visited June 2014

oakland, ca
“Refreshing venue in a non-destination town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Dublin, CA to dine at a Japanese restaurant named Amakara. Being a bedroom town far away from San Francisco, we assumed this was going to be the typical quasi-Japanese restaurant with typical American style fare serving pseudo-Japanese meals.

While the portions were large according to American dining expectations, we were pleasantly surprised with the first dish to arrive promptly after ordering: an edamame appetizer that was lightly oiled, the open flame grilled, and served piping hot with a sprinkling of salt. The portions was sufficient for 4 hungry diners while waiting for our entrées to arrive.

Next came the anko kimo (abbr. ankimo) appetizer. No disappointment for the monkfish liver that has been often compared to duck fois gras by connoisuers.

For the entrée I placed an order for the 'Trio' dinner, a meal comprised of anago (ocean eel), maguro sashimi, and ebi tempura topped over a huge bowl of seasoned (sushi) rice with a choice of miso soup or a fresh garden salad.

First, the anago. The eel was cooked to perfection. Soft, yet not mushy. Aromatic, but not overpowering.

Next, the maguro. I expected a sinewy cut, the typical none prime leftover cut served when not sitting at the sushi bar. Instead, the 7 slices were soft, tender, and a perfect accompaniment with a chopstick full of seasoned rice.

Finally, the ebi tempura. Just two pieces, but the battered shrimp was golden brown, the tempura batter crisp, and the flavor evidencing these were fried in clean, uncontaminated oil.

All the while, our table server was attentive, filling tea cups with regularity and without our having to request service.

This is a restaurant we must return to with so many other choices to sample. We recommend this restaurant.

Visited July 2014
San Ramon, California
“A Really Busy Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Right off the top, if you are looking for a quiet, smaller, more romantic place or just to have some business conversation, then you are choosing the wrong place. This restaurant is large and seems hectic on the 3 occasions we have been there. Aside from that, you will likely enjoy the wide variety of food and the way it is prepared.

We took an occasional break from our favorite Japanese restaurant not far from this one, just to try other restaurants. We had a good experience (food wise) at this place, but it is much too noisy and busy with people running around the place for me to like it as a regular restaurant to visit.

As for the food, there really was a nice variety and all prepared well for each of us. The portions are NOT generous and the price is higher than the two other places we usually go.
Advice, go on a non-busy time of the week. For Friday night and weekends, we suggest some place else.

Giving it the rating mainly for food selection and quality which is really a 4 or 5 to me, yet the busy atmosphere, higher pricing pulls down the rating for us.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Two days in a row”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Was in the area for a 4 day business trip. One of my coworkers recommended it. Tried it on a tues night for dinner and was shocked at how busy the restaurant was. Was able to sit at the bar without a wait. I decided to try the poke, hamachi appetizer and the scallop lemon roll. I enjoyed all three. The hamachi was the best of the 3. I was trying to decide what else to try and thought I would come back on wed. On wed, I returned and tried the tuna ceviche, tataki appetizer and Hamachi again. The ceviche was ok as I was expecting a more traditional dish without all
The lettuce. It turned out to be a salad more than ceviche. I also tried a sashimi sample and was very impressed. I call myself a sushi snob. I didn't find the place to be expensive (most expensive roll was $16). I found the sushi to be fresh and the rolls original. I will pay for that type of quality. Highly recommend

Pleasanton, California
“Awesome Rolls and Place - Expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This place is awesome. For me, this is the best sushi place in Pleasanton. We were five in the group when we went here and ordered quite a number of different rolls to share with. I enjoyed every single bite!.... until the tab came. it was really expensive. our tab costs us almost $200 (including tip) for 5 guys with big appetite on sushi.

Visited May 2014