“It just doesn't get better than this!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fresno, California
“It just doesn't get better than this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

This is one of THE best Japanese restaurants around. I've eaten here twice now and consistently excellent both times. The food is top quality, fresh and has an excellent presentation. Open only for lunch and dinner so go early or you may have a wait!

Visited September 2012

Bay Area
“Worth the Wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had a great time at Amakara in Dublin. The food is good and the service was good this time. Sometimes it is a bit uneven. The food is, however, consistently excellent. We had to wait about 45 minutes this time. Normally it is about 10-15 minutes. If you like Sushi, this is just a great place to eat!

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin, California
“My favorite restaurant in the East Bay Area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I'm about to give away my best-kept restaurant secret, so I might as well spill all the edamame beans at once...

I live within walking distance of this place and consider myself a regular. They have the yummiest sushi anywhere, a lively atmosphere, and decent service - but when they're busy (which is all the time), you've got to play by their two rules to have the best experience possible, so I'll share those with you now:

1. Great sushi is art, and art takes time. KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO ORDER THE FIRST TIME YOU MEET YOUR SERVER AND PLACE YOUR ENTIRE MEAL ORDER AT ONCE.

2. Are you here on a date? READ THE MENU AHEAD OF TIME AND FOLLOW RULE #1. You'll impress her/him with your efficiency. (btw, chicks can't stand indecisiveness.)

Now, let's script this, and I'll throw in my favorite items on the menu, to get you started:

Server: "Hi, my name is Luna, and I'll be your server tonight. Can I start you off with some drinks?"
You: "Hi Luna. Sure! We're actually going to place our entire order with you now, because we see you're really busy. So, we'd like to order (insert drinks of choice here), along with your grilled edamame and miso soup to start, the tuna ceviche salad next, and then your spicy crunchy rainbow roll" (plus anything else off the menu you'd like to try - you can't go wrong).
Server: "Great! That's really helpful. I'll get your order in with the kitchen right away so they can get started."

Do not show up here starving and throw a tantrum. It's happened before, and it's pathetic. This place is affordable, fabulous, spirited, and likely to be one of your Bay Area favorites, but you need to leave your entitled diner card at home and work within the framework Amakara has to offer. I promise you won't be disappointed (neither will your date).

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bothell, Washington
“Great and Unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have gone to Amakara a number of times, and took my Family while on vacation in the area. They all loved it. I especially like the Grilled Edamame and the Lime Scallops. The service is always great. For the quality the price is reasonable.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Amakara? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Amakara, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.