“atrium great, room pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
WiFi Package
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Downey
Marietta, Georgia
“atrium great, room pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The hotel is centered around a 8-story tall atrium which is the highlight of the hotel. The sights and sounds of a running stream with fish and turtles, seems to welcome you home to relax after a days work. The rooms have nice touches too, a spacious living room, lots of hdtv channels, granite counters, mini kitchen area.

The property is in good condition overall, but showing a little age. The furniture in my room showed a little wear, and there seemed to be some repair work underway on the atrium roof.

They host a lot of events, parties, showers, etc, downstairs that would sometimes feature loud music and boisterous people, but they seemed to be quite conscientious about wrapping up at a reasonable hour, so I never had trouble sleeping.

I can only find some minor points to complain about. My mattress was a bit saggy. The room didn't look unclean, but walking across the carpet my socks would pick up a bit of dirt. And the bathroom is way too small, it took practically a feat of gymnastics to get behind the bathroom door and climb into the shower.

I wouldn't say its a perfect hotel, but the best option in the area for sure. And taking into account the condition and price of other nearby hotels, I thought it was a pretty good value for $150 / night.

282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very nice hotel with very special architecture. Rooms very spacious and clean, more like an appartment than a classic room. Good restaurant and a typical pub serving fine food. Friendly staff. Huge breakfast place, only coffee needs improvement - could not get espresso

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a very welcoming hotel, beautiful facilities and very restful and serene. The staff is gracious and accommodating. The free reception and free FULL breakfast is really and added bonus. This hotel is VERY worth the price of admission!!

Smithtown, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

So here's the thing. If you need to stay In Downey, this is probably as good as it gets. The nice things first- very attractive lobby, good for meeting with coworkers, clients. There is a lovely Koi pond with lots of turtles- nice touch. Breakfast was very well organized, terrific cooked to order omelettes, and fresh fruit. Nicely done.

Rooms are large, dated, a bit dusty. Carpets are just okay but no ones used an edger on them in years it seems.Towels fluffy, showers a bit grungy looking.

Here's the thing that threw me. It's cold here in L.A. right now. I was freezing and went down to the desk to ask for help in adjusting the climate control in my room. I was informed that the hotel is very old and runs on a "two pipe" system. I have no idea what that means other than the end result is that guests have no control over the temperature in their rooms or in the common areas. When the outside temp is 50 or below, the hotel will turn on the heat. If the temp outside is 70 or above, the hotel will turn on the AC.

So, they promptly did their best to make me comfortable and delivered an electric space heater to my suite which was a welcome relief. Still, in all my years of travel I've never heard of such a thing.

As I stated earlier, I still believe the hotel is the best choice in the area. So if you have to be in Downey, I guess this is the place to be. Me? I'll be staying in another town until they freshen the place up and get themselves into this century with the HVAC.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony so you can get fresh air if you need.
Palmdale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I LOVE this place!!! Lived in Downey for many years and always stayed at this very nice gorgeous comfortable hotel for special events!! Beautiful spacious courtyard with atrium and koi fish and turtles! Nice "hang out" bar and restaurant! Free drinks and snacks in evening and FREE full service breakfasts in morning! Chefs make your food to order! ALL included in the price. Very spacious "suite" rooms and all room sofas are an additional bed! Indoor pool and just a very very nice hotel to stay at and all reasonably priced!!! We now live 85miles away and STILL come back to Downey to stay at this hotel!!! =D

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I randomly got a room at this hotel because I was tired & didnt want to continue my way home, the room is very spacious & comes with your own living room. The looby is just beautifull with a pond, really liked this hotel.Alll this for a good price of $169 very worth it

• Stayed May 2012
Petaluma, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Nice enough place, but they have curtains that can get caught in the front door, so be careful when you leave the room. We left for dinner and came back to find our door up with the curtain stuck in the door keeping in open. When I went down to report it, I basically got the blank stare from from the two ladies at the front desk. No calls to maintenance, security, offer of a different room....nothing.

Oh, and check your credit card on the way out. I had purchased the room from them online and yet they still saw the need to charge my card for the room. Wasted my time when they first told me I did not pay for the room and after a few minutes they realized I did.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the door to your room when you leave to make sure the curtain isn't stuck in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
michelle-escobedo, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Los Angeles-Downey, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you fmc_sonoma for your review. I am so sorry about your experience. I can certainly understand and appreciate your concerns.

The safety and security of each of our guests is very important to us. We will continue to monitor the situation to be sure that we are taking every precaution to provide a safe and secure environment for hotel guests.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thought. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! I hope these events will not deter you from choosing our location for future travels, as I hope for your reconsideration.

With Kind Regards,

Michelle Escobedo
Manager on Duty

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Los Angeles-Downey? Share your experiences!