“Best the area has to offer.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Gas Card Package
Ranked #2 of 8 hotels in Downey
Smithtown, NY
“Best the area has to offer.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

So here's the thing. If you need to stay In Downey, this is probably as good as it gets. The nice things first- very attractive lobby, good for meeting with coworkers, clients. There is a lovely Koi pond with lots of turtles- nice touch. Breakfast was very well organized, terrific cooked to order omelettes, and fresh fruit. Nicely done.

Rooms are large, dated, a bit dusty. Carpets are just okay but no ones used an edger on them in years it seems.Towels fluffy, showers a bit grungy looking.

Here's the thing that threw me. It's cold here in L.A. right now. I was freezing and went down to the desk to ask for help in adjusting the climate control in my room. I was informed that the hotel is very old and runs on a "two pipe" system. I have no idea what that means other than the end result is that guests have no control over the temperature in their rooms or in the common areas. When the outside temp is 50 or below, the hotel will turn on the heat. If the temp outside is 70 or above, the hotel will turn on the AC.

So, they promptly did their best to make me comfortable and delivered an electric space heater to my suite which was a welcome relief. Still, in all my years of travel I've never heard of such a thing.

As I stated earlier, I still believe the hotel is the best choice in the area. So if you have to be in Downey, I guess this is the place to be. Me? I'll be staying in another town until they freshen the place up and get themselves into this century with the HVAC.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony so you can get fresh air if you need.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Palmdale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I LOVE this place!!! Lived in Downey for many years and always stayed at this very nice gorgeous comfortable hotel for special events!! Beautiful spacious courtyard with atrium and koi fish and turtles! Nice "hang out" bar and restaurant! Free drinks and snacks in evening and FREE full service breakfasts in morning! Chefs make your food to order! ALL included in the price. Very spacious "suite" rooms and all room sofas are an additional bed! Indoor pool and just a very very nice hotel to stay at and all reasonably priced!!! We now live 85miles away and STILL come back to Downey to stay at this hotel!!! =D

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I randomly got a room at this hotel because I was tired & didnt want to continue my way home, the room is very spacious & comes with your own living room. The looby is just beautifull with a pond, really liked this hotel.Alll this for a good price of $169 very worth it

• Stayed May 2012
Petaluma, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Nice enough place, but they have curtains that can get caught in the front door, so be careful when you leave the room. We left for dinner and came back to find our door up with the curtain stuck in the door keeping in open. When I went down to report it, I basically got the blank stare from from the two ladies at the front desk. No calls to maintenance, security, offer of a different room....nothing.

Oh, and check your credit card on the way out. I had purchased the room from them online and yet they still saw the need to charge my card for the room. Wasted my time when they first told me I did not pay for the room and after a few minutes they realized I did.

Room Tip: Make sure you check the door to your room when you leave to make sure the curtain isn't stuck in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
michelle-escobedo, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Los Angeles-Downey, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you fmc_sonoma for your review. I am so sorry about your experience. I can certainly understand and appreciate your concerns.

The safety and security of each of our guests is very important to us. We will continue to monitor the situation to be sure that we are taking every precaution to provide a safe and secure environment for hotel guests.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thought. We value you as a guest, and I do want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! I hope these events will not deter you from choosing our location for future travels, as I hope for your reconsideration.

With Kind Regards,

Michelle Escobedo
Manager on Duty
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here 4 nights for our visit to attend the Rose Bowl game and do some other activities. This hotel was centrally located relative to the locations we needed to travel to across the Los Angeles area. The room was rather large, with a separate bedroom and living room areas. The furniture and carpet was rather old, but everything was clean and the room was generally comfortable for the two of this.

The breakfast was great. Made to order omelets, sausages, pancakes, waffles, fruit, yogurt, a good selection of drinks, and more. Breakfast is served in the very nice indoor courtyard. The courtyard has coy ponds and some turtles with nice stone work and plants. It was nice to have a large open area to eat breakfast rather than a cramped room like many hotels have.

Every day in the early evening the hotel serves free drinks to guests in the courtyard. We sat down for a few beers and rum & cokes when we could make the time. The bartender is a little bit slow but we had our fill of drinks on the house. We also spent some time in the hotel bar on New Year's Eve. It's a convenient place to have some drinks later in the night without leaving the hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is a good embassy suites hotel. The lobby is a fun, authentic feeling mission style with murals inside the arches, sitting areas, fountains and pools with koi and turtles. The rooms were standard with two double beds and the sofa bed, two TVs, nicely appointed bathroom with granite counters. Plenty of room for the five of us. The balcony offered a nice view of downtown LA in the distance. Breakfast was great, and the mangers reception had plentiful sacks and drinks. The area felt quite safe, a Mimi's cafe in the parking lot, other restaurants nearby, and a complete mall a few blocks away. There's a classic Bob's Big Boy and an early original McDonalds on Firestone. We stayed here to go to the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl game. It took about 20-25 minutes taking the 605, which was about a mile away on Firestone. (Hotels closer to Pasadena were booked or too expensive.) This hotel is equidistant to 5, 710, and 605, so it is pretty easy to get to and is easy to get back to a highway. The city of Downey is pretty basic, middle classish with moderate homes, standard banks, stores, churches, schools. All seemed graffiti free and there were no bars on the windows, so the feeling was pretty good. It is not a super cute walking district, more business as usual, although some new restaurants looked like they were opening soon. So overall it's a good family friendly central location in greater Los Angeles. It is not near anything, but it's not that far from everything. The Downey Music Center was adjacent to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing north have a view of downtown, East of the San Gabriel mountains. Up high is better to...
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The older Embassy suites hotels can look very faded even if cared for well. This hotel was not cared for well. Strange furniture, grimy dirt-colored carpets, a shower that hadn't been scoured in years, hvac that turns off entirely if (in the hotel's view) the outside temp is between 55 and 70degF.: just a few of the problems. And that cooked breakfast? Only if you don't value your time, the line was never shorter than 15 people every time I checked. Even profit center items, such as vending machines, were out of order.

The only plus was front desk staff, which seemed to care when I had a request. But they didn't care to ask why I checked out after one night and moved somewhere else due to the accumulated grime throughout the room and the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you Dick R for your recent review. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your disappointment with your recent stay. I want to personally apologize that the hotel was not as clean as our standards demand.

A clean room that has been prepared for our guests is basic for a good stay. I am sorry if this was not your experience. You can be confident that we will follow-up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed as you were.

Again, thank you for making the effort to share your thoughts. We value you as a guest and I want you to know that your concerns are our concerns! I truly hope these events will not deter you from choosing our location for future travels, as I hope for your reconsideration.

Warmest Regards,

Michelle Escobedo
Manager on Duty

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Los Angeles-Downey? Share your experiences!