“Great hotel but horrible Internet that is not even free” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Gas Card Package
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Downey
Fresno CA
“Great hotel but horrible Internet that is not even free”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hotel is great, nice big rooms, good location close to stores and restaurants. Great breakfast and good service. Only problem I have with your hotel is absolutely horrible internet. The hotel charges $10 a night for access to internet that is extremely slow. I had internet speeds of 300 kbs, I stayed the previous night in Holiday Inn Express with free wifi (internet speeds 50-100 times faster). If you charge for internet at least offer reliable and fast internet. You need to realize that most of your customers during the week are business travelers. Good and fast internet is a must !!! I wouldn't stay here again unless I have to because of your internet. I do lots of my work from the computer and I shouldn't have to go to Starbucks to get access to internet. Your internet was a joke, I can get faster internet on my phone using 3G speeds.

Room Tip: rooms on the side of the building not facing the atrium are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
michelle-escobedo, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Los Angeles-Downey, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you M_GO_BLUE_A2 for your review of our property!

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory experience you had with our wifi connection. Be assured, your comments have been shared with our General Manager for further review. I would love to issue a credit for the internet fees during your stay. If you could email or call me with your confirmation number, I will happily issue the credit. I am available 5 days a week typically from 3PM to 11PM PST.

Thank you so much for your time.

Email: Michelle.Escobedo@Hilton.com
Phone: 562.861.1900

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
NoCal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here again because other Hilton properties did not accept my employer's rate. Checking in after midnight and a couple was ahead of me. The clerk continued to chat, and chat, and chat with the couple until they finally stepped away. This is the only Hilton property to ask for my work ID. Anyway get a high room, but once I stepped into the room, there was a stale type smell, a smell they probably have not been able to get rid of for years. Hallway carpets probably have not been changed for decades. One of the TV remotes did not work and the coffee creamer in the room turned to curd, wasn't a pleasant sight, lucky I didn't drink any of it. Oh, I have never seen a place that has three security guards at night and an armed one during the day. Hmmmm, maybe I should pass this place next time.

• Stayed September 2012
michelle-escobedo, Manager at Embassy Suites Hotel Los Angeles-Downey, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you TravelingChumley for providing feedback about your most recent stay with us! I would like to assure you that your comments have been shared with our entire staff and the issues you are reporting have been addressed. I would like to add that we never employ armored security. It's possible you saw an armed guard during the day hours as Dunbar does pick-up from our hotel regularly. Please feel free to contact me or the Manager on Duty by calling the hotel directly at 562.861.1900 should you like to discuss this matter futher. We will be more than happy to assist in any way we can!

Thank you so much for your time.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just came back after a family holiday staying 10 nights, perfect base for all the sights of LA. Rooms large and excellent service. Free breakfast and free drinks in the evening, absolutely perfect !!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you Chris186451 for your review of our property! We are very glad to hear you and your family had a wonderful time. Be assured, your feedback will be shared with our staff! Feel free to contact our Manager on Duty if there is anything further you would like to discuss.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This Embassy Suites does an excellent job of living up to what one comes to expect from this chain. The rooms were nice, contemporary and comfortable. The bed afforded an excellent night’s sleep.

The bathroom has a large county, but is fairly cramped with the toilet being right between the vanity and the walk-in shower. You have to pretty much fully close the door to get in the shower.

The crab cakes and steak I ordered for dinner one of the nights were just excellent – perfectly cooked and filling.

The cooked-to-order breakfast was good and quick, however, as seems more and more common, there is no real hot buffet – anything you want is served in the same line as the cooked-to-order grill. Not a bad thing necessarily, just something I see more and more with Embassy’s.

I would stay here again if business brought me to the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you bastian97 for your review of our property! I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and will choose us again! You can be assured that your feedback will be shared with our staff. Feel free to contact our Manager on Duty if there is anything further you would like to discuss by calling 562.861.1900.

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed in Embassy Suites\Downey during recent business trip to LA. Hotel is first rate and rooms were quite large & well-maintained. Business center is first class and the staff was very helpful. Location is great for anything in area. Would stay there again. Parking fills quickly.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quiet
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our hotel! Feel free to contact our Manager on Duty should you like to discuss your stay futher by calling 562.861.1900.

Thank you for choosing Embasy Suites - Downey!

With Kind Regards,

Blacksburg, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed at this embassy suites for 2 nights on an August weekend. We had a king suite with sofa bed on the 5th floor.

The hotel is clean and the area/parking etc. seemed safe. It is by no means close to LA tourist destinations (hollywood, beaches, etc.), but the Citadel outlets are within 5 miles. Keep in mind that LA highways are always clogged so a google map distance of 20mins to Santa Monica beach can easily be an hr drive (even on a weekend), which was the case for us.

First off the good things, the warm breakfast with cook to order eggs etc. is a welcome amenity. The atrium area waterscape with fish and turtles is a plus and can keep kids busy for a while. The pool area was over-crowded during our visit and seemed unsafely wet. We did not swim. Ample parking is available. A Ralph's supermarket is 5-minute away so groceries/milk for kids can be easily obtained.

The room was spacious, and had the usual suite amenities of a kitchenette with microwave and fridge. Plenty of chairs and desks were available. The sofa-bed was on the lower-end of things, but workable for kids. The living room and the bedroom both had flat screen tvs. The restroom/shower was small, although clean. Overall, we paid a on-sale rate and couldn't complain much.

WIFI costs $10 plus per day, which is ridiculous. Luckily, they had a attwifi hotspot available (don't know whether it was at the hotel or was coming from some office building nearby), but ut worked fine with our iphone. I really hate hotels that charge fro WIFI these days, so for that this place gets all thumbs down.

The service was lousy. We asked for extra towels, which we only got after calling several times. Every time we were told they are on their way, and then nothing. We asked for a crib, but never got it (no body said its not available, it just didn't come). We were too busy enjoying LA and too tired to keep asking so we managed without it.

The real problem is that the noise from the pool area that we can hear in our room. That was very disturbing, as it went on till at least midnight if not later. May be our room was on the same corner of the building as pool, though several stories up, but still, this was not welcome.

Overall, an economical (if on sale) stay with good breakfast options. I would probably go hear again if with family but will ask for a room away from the pool.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the pool area (corner). Get one which doesn't overlook the atrium (corner r...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is extremely important to us! I was glad to ready that there were aspects of our property and your stay that you and your family enjoyed. I would like to assure you that your comments have been shared with our staff and the issues you have reported have been addressed. Please feel free to contact our Manager on Duty should you like to discuss your stay further by calling 562.861.1900.

Thank you so much for choosing Embassy Suites - Downey!
We look forward to serving you again!

With Kind Regards,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

we stayed here for 2 weeks in our trip to LA. The hotel is in the middle between LA and Orange County. Hotel staff was friendly and ready to answer all inquires. Rooms are large and comfortable. It also has a large parking lot which is free.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you monana66 for your review of our property!

I was glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your time with us! You can be assured that your feedback will be shared with our staff. Feel free to contact our Manager on Duty if there is anything further you would like to discuss by calling 562.861.1900.

Michelle.Escobedo@Hilton.com

Been to Embassy Suites Hotel Los Angeles-Downey? Share your experiences!