“Horrible, avoid at all costs!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Downey
Los Angeles, CA
“Horrible, avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

Check in service was terribly delayed by unknowledgeable staff, reservation was screwed up somehow, so they put us in a hot tub room instead of the regular room we reserved.

The hot tub didn't work though, the jets wouldn't turn on at all. the carpet was dirty, the bedding was stained, and when I ask the front desk for new sheets, she told me, I could bring you some new ones, but unfortunately, most of them have stains on them right now. That, in itself, was shocking to hear her say/admit that.

The TV didn't work right, and when I complained about it, she told me to fix it, all I had to was turn the TV around, look and see if the cord was loose, and wiggle it a little bit to fix it... how rude.

The restroom has what looked like someone's boogers/mocos on the wall, and the trashcan had some crumpled up toilet paper in it... the maid must have missed it.

The refrigerator didn't work right, and the inside of the microwave was dirty.

The shower, once we gave up on the hot tub was not any better. The hot water would come and go, giving you that burn/freeze, burn/freeze feeling i get at home when I'm in the shower, and someone flushes the toilet over and over... which was really upsetting.

The customer service at check out was worse than check-in, and the breakfast ended at least 30 minutes earlier than posted, because they ran out of food, they told me. I asked why they had posted hours, and they said it was a guideline, because on busy mornings, they do sometimes run out of food.

good things:

the internet worked well
the corporate customer service was apologetic, and sent me a voucher for half off at a different Choice hotel.

• Liked — The location, and the internet service
  • Disliked — The customer service, the room cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
happycamper222, Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 30, 2008
Problems mentioned in this review do not exist in our hotel at all. All jacuzzis/hot tubs work absolutely fine. We never ever ran out of food during breakfast hours. Its absolutely ridiculous to mislead other people in this way. I urge this person who wrote this review, to call me any time during daytime to discuss this matter with me as to indicate what date he stayed here, to substantiate his false claims. We have many many happy and satisfied clients who come to our hotel regularly and repeatedly to enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay, time and again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2004

I stayed here for a couple of nights over a weekend in mid 2004. The room was pleasant, except that the in-room fridge door wouldn't close all the way so contents wouldn't stay cold. Otherwise, the room was fine. What infuriated me is that when I checked out, the hotel tried to charge me for use of the in-room safe, and they tried to tack on an energy surcharge. When I disputed these fees with them, they showed me the check-in form I had signed when I checked in showing my acceptance. However, they had folded that piece of paper in half, hiding those fees from view. After arguing with the desk clerk for about 10 minutes, they agreed to remove the charges. The energy crisis is long gone in California, and there's no reason to add such a surcharge, especially when it was never disclosed anywhere on the web site or through their 800 operators. I don't reward dishonest business people with repeat business, and I hope you are the same. There were also some "shady" types staying at this hotel, and I made sure I removed anything of value from my car. There are other places nearby that are nicer, and hopefully they don't try to stick you with extra fees.

ManagementRep, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2009
Hi Maynard7,

Thanks for your review. I noticed that this stay experience was reported in Sep 2004. Many things have changed since then. Now, this hotel is being run under a completely new management which is highly professional. Tremendously improved staff service and room quality have helped us win Gold Award for 2008-2009 from Choice Hotels International. I would like to invite you once again to our hotel to experience the quality customer service combined with excellent rooms and amenities.

Regarding extra charges and energy surcharge, there are only two kind of charges that are applied to a guest account, one is 9% Downey occupancy tax and $1 fee per night for Safe Warranty. Occupancy tax is mandatory per City's rules and regulations but safe charges can be removed at check-out upon guest's request, if the guest hasn't used Safe in the room at all. Once again, I look forward to serving your lodging needs in Downey area in near future.

Thanks

Travelers are raving about these Downey hotels

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!