“Noisy Room - Not What We Wanted” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Swiss Health Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
Swiss Health Resort
You added Swiss Health Resort to your Saves list
66729 Eighth Street, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240   |
Los Angeles, California
“Noisy Room - Not What We Wanted”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Based on a friend's recommendation, the 5 star reviews on TripAdviser, and a phone conversation with Karl the owner, I decided to book 4 nights at the Swiss Health Resort for my girlfriend and I. During my phone conversation with Karl I explained that we were looking for a *quiet room,* and one of their nicest rooms. I wasn't concerned about spending more money for the "best" room - I haven't had a vacation in over a year and a half, and have never taken my girlfriend on a vacation, so I was looking for something special, and relaxing. Note: relaxing.

During our phone conversation Karl suggested room #1 - their largest suite. He said it was not near the other units (e.g., less neighbor noise) and that it was close to the parking lot. I asked if being next to the parking lot meant their would be any kind of traffic noise - I explained that I really wanted quiet. He said not really and that the windows were double paned. I was a little leery of this, and asked if we could move to another unit if I found the traffic noise or parking lot noise to be too loud. He said yes.

We also asked that our bedding and towels be washed in a nontoxic detergent since we have chemical sensitivities (and I even offered to pay for them to go get some at a local health food store). They agreed to use Arm and Hammer detergent - something they already had - not the best option (it is not a nontoxic detergent), but we decided to go with it.

We arrived around 5 or 6 pm on Saturday evening, and we met Karl. He was nice enough. The first thing I noticed that across the street the neighbors were blaring loud music, which we could hear inside our unit, and also in the pool area. Really? We were not off to a good start already in terms of peace and quiet (I would later find out from another guest who has been to the spa over the years that there is often loud music coming from across the street).

But then, what I really noticed, was all of the traffic buzzing by on the road right outside our windows. The street is a fairly busy street, and our entire unit, especially the bedroom, was *very noisy* with traffic noise. The double-paned windows? A misleading statement - they may have two thin sheets of glass, but they were not sound reducing double paned windows. I have double paned windows in my apartment - they actually reduce noise by quite a bit. But the windows on unit 1 where we were did virtually nothing to reduce noise.

Which brings me to my first complaint: Karl and Ursula have owned the property for over 20 years - they *absolutely should know their units* and should know that you can hear - loudly - traffic noise in unit #1. I wore ear plugs when I went to bed and I could still hear the traffic and feel the rumble of the larger vehicles as they whizzed by! Wow - so NOT what I was expecting or needing! My girlfriend was also appalled at how loud the traffic noise was considering I specifically requested that we not be in a noisy room.

The unit was large, and clean (the entire property is clean - except the turtle pond), but the furniture was outdated. There was a very large cockroach that ran across the kitchen floor, and although there were plenty of dishware for our use (we brought a ton of food), some of it had mouse poop on it so we had to wash those dishes before use.

My girlfriend felt as though the property didn't have enough "beauty" around, and was aghast that the drinking water came out of a hose (as opposed to a faucet) that looked like it was 20 years old.

The next day (Sunday) we decided we should go look at other hot spring locations, and on our way out met Ursula (owner), who asked how everything was going. We explained that we had rough night sleeping, and that we planned to go out and look at some other hot springs, and she said we would not get our money back if we left. She did show us two other rooms that were available: both had twin/full beds (our suite had a king bed) and that didn't work for me.

My girlfriend and I looked at a couple other properties (El Morocco Inn & Spa and Hacienda Hot Springs Inn) and neither really had what we were looking for that would work for the next three nights. However, the manager at the El Morocco (a nice place) did suggest we take a look at the Tuscan Springs Hotel & Spa because she thought that was more in alignment of what we were looking for. However, we were burned out and decided to go back to the Swiss Health Resort and deal with the situation.

We were back in our room for a while and I swam in the pool area (which is decent) and then went back into our room. And then, the traffic noise just was relentless. Cars and trucks rumbling by and I just wanted to pull my hair out, and of course, this stress wasn't making the vacation any fun at all. So we went to the Tuscan Hot Spings Hotel & Spa in the evening, and the moment we walked in, we felt at peace and "at home." After some discussion, we decided our vacation was more important than the lost money, and we booked two nights at the Tuscan. We packed up the essentials and stayed the next two nights there. We would have stayed all three nights but they already had remodel plans for Tuesday, so it was just two nights.

The Tuscan Springs Hotel and Spa was the best! Exactly what we were looking for: a quiet room with modern furnishings and amazing therapeutic waters. I wrote a review on TripAdviser if you want to know more about that spa - I highly recommend it!

We went back to the Swiss Health Resort after our time at the Tuscan Springs and we planned to just stay there that evening and go the next morning. Didn't happen. Again, that traffic noise was just too much - neither of us could relax. So we went over to the Hacienda Hot Springs Inn and booked a night there, and completely checked out of our Swiss Health resort room. Our room was very quiet during our stay at the Hacienda.

I did ask Karl and Ursula if they would refund 50% of our $705, but they said no. The additional rooms at the other two spas was another $630, so, yes, this was an expensive vacation, but we are glad we left the Swiss Health Resort even though we knew it was improbable we would get any money back.

The fundamental two issues I have with Karl and Ursula are that 1) they should know their property and absolutely have known that unit 1 has loud traffic noise in it and therefore should NEVER have booked us into that room once I shared we wanted a quiet room, and 2) once we were there they should have been more flexible about giving a refund if we were not happy with their property. As far as I am concerned, this is a massive fail in terms of just doing good business with customers. If we aren't happy, we aren't happy. If they bought a product for $700 and they didn't get what they expected, I am quite positive they would have requested a refund. And so for this reason, they get a 1 star for poor customer service.

Based on what we saw while there, I think the Swiss Health Spa is for senior citizens on a budget who don't mind traffic noise.

Room Tip: Avoid suite 1 if you don't want to hear loud traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
lsarasohn, Manager at Swiss Health Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
This guest wanted a refund and threatened to write a toxic review on TripAdvisor if we did not comply with his demands. His basic complaint was that his suite was too close to the street and that the street was constantly loud with traffic. This is just not true. We've never had other guests complain about street noise in our front suite and the bedroom in our residence is similarly situated. We know from being here many years: this street is almost always quiet and lightly traveled. After staying one night the guest wanted to cancel the next three and be given a refund. We refused because of our cancellation policy. But we did offer him several other lovely rooms in another area of the hotel, all of which he refused.

This guest and his girl friend found another hotel to stay at the next two nights, but never checked out of the Swiss Health Resort and never turned in their room keys. They went to a third hotel on their last night, but the guest stopped by to swim in our pools on his last day in town. We were surprised when he subsequently called to demand a refund and threatened to damage our reputation by posting a bad review on TripAdvisor. We take great pride in the Swiss Health Resort and have worked hard to make it a superb boutique spa hotel. We are in a quiet location. Our hotel is very clean. We do not have an insect problem or a mouse problem.

We are used to getting great reviews, and one bad review versus fifty-plus rave reviews isn't too terrible. But the Swiss Health Resort didn't deserve this. It is simply untrue and unfair. -- Swiss Health Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

First, about us: Dan is a veteran of the USMC, loves nature and appreciates clean and orderly places. I am a veteran of a high tech career which featured a great deal of travel including 100,000 air miles one year.
We usually prefer AirBnB to motels and hotels. The Swiss Health Resort is the only
exception.

We come here every year to relax. Unlike other DHS spa-motels, KARL and URSULA eschew the minimalist style and provide an environment that is more like a European apartment in Nice or Florence. Their Swiss
heritage shines forth in their magnificently spectacular cleaning. Oh, is this place clean and spotless! C-L-E-A-N without chemical smells or even a smidgen of dust or schmutz. Their choices ring of feng shui style environmentalism and respect for our planet.

This may be our 17th or 18th year here. We consider Karl and Ursula our friends and kindred spirits. The glorious mineral pools, beautiful garden and spotless rooms keep us coming back year after year after year.

The beds are Heaven: temperpedic-style foam mattresses, cotton bedding and 'like new' organic cotton blankets in lieu of icky bedspreads. I. If I had to criticize one thing, it would be that SHR is perhaps TOO relaxing.
But so far, we do not mind.

• Stayed November 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ursla & Karl are excellent hosts. My wife & I stayed for the weekend and had the most enjoyable time, from the restorative mineral waters, to the relaxing pools, to the beautiful koi ponds with turtles, to the meditative pavilion, to the quiet rooms, to the early morning hikes, and the refreshing breakfast, we were thoroughly pampered and in our own little Shang Ra La. Try the water massages they are healing and therapeutic. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms at the end have a little more lite and view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Phila.,Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

What a Gem ! Stayed for 2 nights. This place is awesome! The pools and jacuzzi are refreshed every day by the hot springs. Ursula, the owner has daily walks thru the desert(early morning) and is a wonderful person. I enjoyed her company. The room I stayed in was a garden view with 2 double beds and a full kitchen. Every thing was spotless!

The grounds are beautiful. Koi Pond ,lots of places to sit and relax and enjoy the surroundings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The resort has a lush green garden with great views, waterfall and a pond. The rooms are large and comfortable, have kitchens, Cable TV and FREE high-speed Internet. The outdoor pool is so great that we didn't want to leave. The resort is small and cozy, well run and super clean. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Karl and Ursula possess a rare gift of being able to invite strangers into their midst on a daily basis and make them feel welcome. Their story of taking over this property over 20 years ago is a labor of love and it shows in the details. When you look at the desert around you, and the lush garden you can imagine the patience and dedication it took to make this the welcome retreat you see today.
Our room was a studio suite, with a comfy large bed and a sitting area. The bathroom was much larger than your typical hotel style cramped bathroom. We loved the spacious kitchen in our suite, where we could prepare healthy, organic foods that were familiar to our routine at home.
The pools are immaculate and poolside is very quiet. The resort was at full occupancy during our 4 nights of stay, and yet we often had one of the pools to ourselves. The large outdoor warm pool offers both sunny and shady spots to relax; the indoor medium hot pool has lots of floaty foam toys so you can float weightless in the mineral waters; the hot mineral pool is a perfect hot to melt your tired muscles.
Our room was quiet. There are lots of little spaces you can retreat to on the property or within the gardens to find solitude. Even at full occupancy we never felt intruded upon. The other guests were equally pleasant and we enjoyed meeting others over breakfast by the pool in the mornings.
My favorite feature was the morning hikes in the desert. It is the reason I booked this hotel, and it will be the reason I will return. Vacation should be about healthy, active living, and Swiss Health Resort makes it easy.
This is an ideal location for exploring Palm Springs, Joshua Tree and the surrounding desert activities, all within short driving distance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Swiss Health Resort is in the Spa Zone in Desert Hot Springs. It features 3 pools of varying temperature. One is outside, and the other two are inside. This is a quiet, clean and tranquil place which is perfect for unwinding. It has a picturesque garden with views looking south towards Palm Springs. The rooms are all large and comfortable. Each comes with a large and well equipped kitchen (so you can bring your own food). There are televisions in each room and there is free wifi. The beds are firm and comfortable and towel bath robes are provided. It is almost the definition of 'laid back'. The hotel is run with respectful courtesy and quiet efficiency by the Swiss owners. It is a small resort which adds to its appeal. Perfect for couples wanting to get the stress out of their lives.

Room Tip: The rooms over looking the garden are the most secluded.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Swiss Health Resort? Share your experiences!