“Real Thai Food on the desert” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Palm Springs, California
“Real Thai Food on the desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

When I tried this restaurant, took me back in memories when I went to Thailand. The food is delicious!

• Visited December 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

66% Recommend
Desert Hot Springs, California
“Best restaurant in Desert Hot Springs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

I'm staying in Desert Hot Springs for a month and have eaten here several times . Soup, appetizers, main courses all fresh, delicious, hot. For appetizers, Chicken Satay juicy, tasty. Pot Stickers delicate & wonderful. Main course Pad Thai with tofu or chicken or shrimp -or combos - sweet & addictive. Lamb tender, good sauces. I could go on, but you get the picture!

• Visited February 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
California
“Horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Several friends had lunch at this place, we all ordered lunch special, during vacation, we don't expect anything fancy,just want to some asian food to get full. First, the waiter/owner doesn't understand English at all, he bring us wrong drinks 3 times, then the main course came, the beef is all bad in each of our plates, it tastes sour and stink, we hesitate to eat it, but some of us already ate one or two pieces and feel not comfortable, we paid for good quality of the food, not the bad food, to be fair, we try to ask the waiter how to solve the problem, he and his wife then came to our table, start yelling to us, we try to argue, then the waiter use the big menu, slapped VERY HARDLY on our table, it threaten all of us, because there are 4 girls and only one guy in our group, we all feel how come can he be so RUDE and CRAZY, one girl is really angry and call the police, she went out of the door to look the address, 2 of us want to stay with her, before we step out of the door, the waiter LOCKED the door and didn't allow us to go out!!!!!!!!! At this moment, we all feel so scary, and there was no other customer at all. We don't know what will happen at this strange place and even whether they have guns or they will do anything bad to us, luckly, the policeman come only in a couple of minutes, otherwise, 5 of us will be constrained and locked inside.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Desert Hot Springs, California
“Unfriendly to Sight Challenged”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Visit date - August 10, 2010, 2:45 PM

Thai Palms Restaurant had been highly recommended by friends, one of which mentioned Thai Palms' lunch special. I'd thought I'd give it a try.

But my visit to Thai Palms came at great disappointment- the result of rude treatment by my waiter, presumed to be the proprietor.

It so happens I am diabetic, my vision impaired by diabetic complications. When I stepped into the darkly lit restaurant from the bright afternoon, I was unable to see much of anything.

My waiter approached, asking "How can I help you?"

"I have trouble seeing" I answer, but before I'm finished, my waiter abruptly interrupts, demanding "Then YOU have to get out."

Of course this is offensive, but keeping my composure, I explain "I came here to get something to eat. But I have trouble seeing, and I cannot even see the tables."

"Oh- then sit here" which there is a table immediately to my left. As my eyes begin to adjust, and I am able to trace the outline of the chair where I sit.

My experience might not have been so bad had the waiter's rudeness ended there, allowing for a simple misunderstanding. But my waiter's condescending attitude continued as he'd brazenly questioned if 'I had the money to pay?' ‘Was I aware that there was restaurant tax?’ and 'Are you sure you want to pay this much?'

NEVER in all my experience in restaurants have I been treated so shabbily. Add, NEVER in my experience with Thai people have I ever met with such contempt- and that's saying a lot having met my first Thai in 1968!

I am a loss to understand. My impression of Thais had always been that of friendly, cultured, and socially refined character. But if I’d met 500 polite Thai people, I suppose it’s reasonable to expect the law of averages would catch up. I just had not expected the equation would balance out all at once, all in one person.

Ultimately, I chose to leave. But before leaving, I let my feelings be known "Look- I'm diabetic- but I'm NOT a bum."

As I leave, the waiter mumbles, "Troublemaker."

!??!

I wound up taking the bus to Palm Springs settling for a fast food Chinese restaurant. By the guidelines of this site, I cannot mention it by name. Let's just say that their symbol is a giant PANDA. It’s fifteen miles and an extra hour bus ride through the summer desert heat. My Chinese fast food cannot compare to authentic Thai cuisine- but at least the service was courteous and respectful.

Lau Shel Nan - aka 'Allen Low'
Desert Hot Springs, California9

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago
“Beautiful Thai restaurant and fresh authentic cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

I really liked this restaurant. They had a great lunch special that included a salad with peanut dressing, spring roll, rice, and your choice of a main dish. I picked the spicey noodle with chicken and it was freshly prepared and tasted great. They also serve dinner. Prices were very reasonable.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere