“This is your spot to get away from it all!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Morocco Inn & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Desert Hot Springs
El Morocco Inn & Spa
Save Saved
You added El Morocco Inn & Spa to your Saves list
66810 4th Street, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240   |
Special Offer
Discount Spa Packages!
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
“This is your spot to get away from it all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

It was the end of a busy, hectic year. We therefore made a decision for a 4 day get-a-way but wanted a place where we could simply relax and unwind - shut off the cell phones and detach from work (not an easy task but occassionally necessary to reground ourselves). Obviously, since I am writing a review, we decided on El Morocco. We each packed a bathing suit, 2 changes of clothes, boarded the plane with our carry-on luggage and iPads loaded with books to read, and we were off.
We opted for a car service from the airport rather then renting a car. Based on other reviews we knew there was a small bar fridge and microwave so we asked our driver to take us to a store first for some wine and snacks - however, we found out later that the inn does sell wine and has a small assortment of snacks so this was not really required. My only comment in regards to not renting a vehicle is that there are limited dining options in this area so I am unsure I would do that again, but as we never left the resort (ordered delivery from some local restaurants) this was not a problem for our short visit.
As other reviewers have mentioned, it was a bit of a shock getting to the location. The area that you pass through is reflective of an economy that has had some difficulties. When we arrived our driver was even looking at us as if to ask "Really?". We went to the front door and rang the buzzer while our driver waited to make sure we actually got inside (only guests and staff get a key to get inside the resort). From the moment we actually got inside it was excellent. The staff are calm, relaxed and very professional. The owners were very respectful to guests - if you wanted to talk and engage them in conversation they would, if you preferred to be alone they respected your privacy. We had 3 spa treatments with Gloria and Ruby and were amazed by their skill. I have nothing else to add that other reviewers have not already commented on other than this - if you want total peace and relaxation and to get away from it all with the bonus of a mineral hot tub and a naturally heated pool, this is the place. We will be back the next time we need a reality break. Oh, and since they supply robes and this place is secluded and casual, we pretty much stayed in our robes and bathing suits the entire trip, so unless you plan on leaving the resort you will not need to pack a lot - next time I would pack an extra bathing suit and one less change of clothes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Joshua Tree, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Four of us wanted to start the New Year with a spa experience. We chose El Morocco after looking at reviews and spa websites. I've experienced the large casino/spas and find them sterile and uninteresting. El Morocco was everything we wanted, warm, inviting, cozy, nurturing, and a great value! Bruce greeted us and gave us all the info we needed, and made us feel welcome. The decor and ambiance was a treat for all the senses.
Our massages were the best!!!!! Ruby and Gloria were so skilled and they truly have "healing hands". We had "shiatsu", "whirling dervish" and "raindrop". Prices for one hour were between $100 and $120.
At no extra cost, we were allowed to utilize the pool and the mineral water hot tub until 4 pm. A special tea/lemonade and local water were available at all times.
Ernest was very helpful, and we enjoyed talking with him and keeping him from his "chores".
We received exactly the experience we wanted and will definitely return.
We live in the area, so just did a day trip, but I would reccomend staying at this "boutique" hotel and spa if you are vacationing in the area and want a unique nurturing experience.
Thank you so much El Morocco!

• Stayed January 2013
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

The Morocco Inn and Spa came up every time I searched for a great place to stay in the Desert Hot Springs, Palm Springs area. I poured through the reviews, and many of them said “It’s hard to describe how great this place is until you’ve been there.”

Now that I have experienced the el Morocco Inn and Spa, that is a perfect description. The hotel only currently has 12 rooms, and they only allow over 21 guests which means the most people you will see is 24 people and only adults (we actually only saw about 6-8 people at a time). It has an incredibly intimate feel to it as the staff really wants to get to know you over the course of your stay as you attend their Happy Hour.

As mentioned in previous reviews, the Happy Hour is every day from 5-6 PM where they will wash your hand in warm rose scented water that feels wonderful. They also serve their famous “Morccotinis” in martini glasses with sugar on the rim. My wife loved them (I don’t drink) It is a great time to just relax and talk to everyone. It was a little chilly during our weekend, but they were prepared with super warm blankets for everyone to use and take back to our rooms if we desired. (It’s these little things that add up to a great stay).

We were in the “Arabian Alcove” which had a nice sitting area with a small refrigerator. The sitting area was separated from the bedroom by some Moroccan beads that you walk through to see the nice canopied bed. The bed had some of the softest sheets I have ever felt and was very soft (which might be tough for people who love firm mattresses. The rooms on the bottom floor open right up into the pool area which is fantastic, and we loved how easy it was to go right into the pool or spa at a moment’s notice. They also provide robes for each person. I am not a robe guy personally, but I wore that thing almost the entire weekend. It was so comfortable and warm, but not overly warm as some robes are. It was just a perfect touch. ). The only negative about the room was the bathroom that is small, and had only a stand up shower which really wasn’t that great.

I loved how the Spa was enveloped separately from everything else. It made it feel a lot more intimate and it helped it be not as windy as it was during our weekend. The Spa was a little hot for our tastes (104 according to the sign) so we only could stay in for 10 minutes at the most, but others that were there did not seem affected. I will also say that the spa benches are a little too shallow. I am a taller guy (6’3’’), and when I sat down on the benches, the jets were too low to hit my back. This is obviously not something everyone will experience, but it was the first time I’ve had that happen. The pool was a perfect temperature and was nice and warm. It was also nice for both of them to be open 24 hours.

They had so many amenities it is almost too much to list! They have a continental breakfast in the morning from 8:30 – 10:30. This includes bagels, Danishes, fruit, and juice. They offer Avocados, onions, and tomatoes for the bagels and they were delicious. I did read some complaints about the breakfast here, but my wife and I thought everything was great and fresh. They also have French presses where you make your own coffee. It was available all day and we loved it. My wife and I are big coffee drinkers and enjoyed the French Press and the all day availability of it.

They also have water and their special “Humphrey Bogart” drink available all day. The “Humphrey Bogart” is simply lemonade with mint tea mixed in. I absolutely loved it, my wife, not so much.

Speaking of Humphrey Bogart, they have Casablanca playing all day in the side room next to where they serve breakfast. It has a fireplace and some cushioned benches and pillows to sit and watch the movie. This was a great place for my wife and to eat breakfast and spend some time after dinner.

At 7 PM, the staff leaves. We have never stayed somewhere that this happened at, and I was surprised to find that I loved it. Before they leave they set out cookies, dried dates and apricots, as well as a late night Sherry if you are in the mood for some dessert drinks that you can take at your leisure throughout the night.

They also have a huge library of DVD’s that you can choose from and watch in your room at any time 24 hours a day. You can also bring your own if you wish since every room seems to have a DVD player.

Another great part of the hotel is the huge courtyard which included game such as Bocce Ball, life size chess, and croquet. Also in the courtyard is a huge Moroccan tent. Apparently it is usually a place for reading or relaxing but during our visit they had massage tables in it because they were remodeling one of the rooms. It looked beautiful though.

They do have a sauna, but it is extremely small. It fits 2 people at the most. It is very nice, but it has a see through glass door that you face when you are in it and the sauna itself is placed in the main hallway between the hotel and courtyard. This means if you are in it, everyone who walks through the hall can see you. So there really is no privacy.

My wife and both got massages and were both treated by the therapist Gloria. My wife said when she got back from hers “It was the best massage I have ever had…ever”. She enjoys massages so I trust her experience. I don’t have the same experience with massages, but I thought it was fantastic.

The best part of this hotel is something that is indescribable. When you combine the amazing setting, the fantastic Moroccan theming throughout the hotel, the great room/bed, and the unbeatable hospitality, it becomes a perfect place to stay for couples. Yes, there are some negatives as I’ve listed, but it is hard to find the perfect place anywhere and I strongly feel the positives far outweigh the negatives with this place.

My wife and I have already discussed making this an annual trip we loved it so much. Thank you specifically to the staff for making it such a wonderful mini vacation!

• Stayed November 2012
Encinitas, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband booked us into the Sultan's Suite for two nights and it wasn't nearly long enough! It was one of the best places we have stayed for our anniversary... comfy, relaxing, peaceful and beautiful. The room was lovely, the pool and hot tub were clean and the perfect temperature and open 24 hours a day. The staff was super and the amenities were amazing for the price. Great value with lots of extras. We will stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the El Morocco this time. We keep coming back because it is so relaxing and lovely. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. We love the ambiance the rooms and the hot spring pools. If you are looking for a oasis in the desert this is the place. We plan on visiting again soon. The spa services at the El Morocco are wonderful we highly recommend getting a massage while you are there.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very nice, some have kitchenettes and some have an extra room with a sitting ar...
Freehold, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed in the Sahara Suite for two nights before our wedding as a pre-honeymoon. The Sahara Suite has two bathrooms, bedroom and living area, which we needed as we were able to have enough space to get ready for our wedding day, which happened to be the day we checked out. We wish we had stayed longer. We cannot describe how perfect this place is. We loved the Morroccan decor, the amenities, and the owners and staff. We look forward to going back again and staying in the same suite! I had an emergency tooth extraction during our stay and even though I could not enjoy everything as much as I wanted, the El Morrocco Inn was the place to be while feeling under the weather. The water is very healing as well as the atmosphere! We had a great two-night stay, a beautiful start to our wedding day, and our well-traveled friends and family were impressed by our terrific hideaway. Thank you, Amy and Billy

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This Is a magical inn in the middle of an unlikely residential area. Do not let the location be of concern.We enjoy visiting the surrounding areas of Joshua Tree and Pioneertown (don't miss going to Pappy and Harriet's for great food and live music; see Teddy Quinn's talent revue on Monday evenings) -- this location was perfect to venture out to both. However, once one steps beyond the large wooden door with peacock feathers gently caressing the face, it will prove difficult to leave. It is a surreal experience of comfort and relaxation along with surroundings that provide a sensual delight to the senses. From the authentic and tasteful decor to the fragrant, intoxicating air. Not to forget the warm rose water hand wash ceremony performed by the host at happy hour while sipping delicious Moroccotinis. My husband and I enjoyed the whirlpool bath and lounged by the fire in the evening. Despite a few reviews, I found the breakfast in the morning substantial and of good value. There are also many other treats provided throughout the day. The people who work at the inn are more than helpful and aim to please with kinds words and delightful conversation. They also know when to appreciate that the guests do not want to be disturbed; being mindful to not intrude when appropriate. Ernest made sure to check on us before he left for the evening to make sure everything was perfect. He also shared delightful dialogue during the daily Happy Hour. He truly complimented our visit with his presence. We are frequent travelers and have stayed all over the world; trust, I do not believe one will go wrong with the decision to stay at this gem, for a weekend or a week. Be prepared for an uncomplicated and relaxing stay in a peaceful environment. If one needs to decompress from the stresses of the outside world, this is the place. Note: I feel this is the perfect environment for couples.This is not a place for friends to visit and "party" all night by the pool. There are many other nearby areas that are more suitable to do so. The inn was not crowded (I believe the owners strive for this on purpose); however, those guests who we encountered on the property were friendly and appreciated each other's privacy which honestly, one does not encounter as often while traveling!

Room Tip: While the rooms are quite comfortable and equipped with everything that one needs for their visit, i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to El Morocco Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!