“relaxing stay” 4 of 5 stars

12589 Reposo Way, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240   |
Los Angeles, California
“relaxing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I am a returning visitor to the Miracle Manor retreat and had a very relaxing time.
Great location, friendly hosts and fantastic hot mineral jacuzzi & pool make this definitely a great place to enjoy a weekend getaway.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I visited Miracle Manor while attending Stagecoach country music festival with my 19 year old son this past weekend. I am 62 so our big age difference and our mutual enjoyment of our visit is in itself worth a star somewhere on the rating scales.

I had heard of this place for several years but wasn’t sure I was looking for a simple, rumored austere or meditative feeling experience. I like steak and beer, television and hotel bars. This place turned me around though. Kind of like getting hit hard in the face with a feather.

The rooms:
We used my son's status as a student to get a budget rate and stayed in the “budget” rooms so I cannot comment directly on the more typical rooms there but they looked very nice in somewhat of a relaxed version of mid-century modern. Most of the manor is a beautifully transformed old 50’s motel I heard described as earlier with shag carpeting, rabbit eared TV’s and the like. Our room apparently was a converted massage-therapy room that was designed by the architect Michael Rotondi. Unlike the rest of the place these rooms are strictly modern esoteric and utilitarian, but extremely comfortable. The beds looked a little off-putting at first because they are on a slab foundation. Don’t know why but both 19 and 62 year old slept like babies.

The service:
Douglas and Christina are the new managers apparently there for less than a week so still learning their way around. My son “packed” for this trip with a couple of shirts on hangers, cowboy boots in his free hand with changes of clothing stuffed in a backpack and an ipod and toiletries hidden in his boots plus a guitar without a case and a laptop. I asked the managers to leave our room alone because it was impossible for us to put this stuff away since it was all brought to the room in our hands or under our arms. I think Douglas told us “the owners want us to leave the rooms alone for their guests-unless they want fresh linens or towels” We liked the we “will leave you alone” approach.

The spa and pools:
We did not take advantage of the massage opportunities but we did love the hot mineral spring pools and the meditative quality of the environment. Most guests when we visited the pools were deep into their books, thoughts or ipods. We forgot books but it was oddly easy just to float in the water and feel the relaxation take over.

The results:
I think it would be impossible to do anything but relax here even if you weren’t interested in doing so. For several years I have used prescription sleep aids or ibuprofen PM’s to get to sleep. I forgot to bring them with me and was worried that I would be up all night. I imagined myself getting out of bed at 3AM and driving into Palm Springs or wherever to find an all night pharmacy. I did not need it as I fell asleep immediately and woke up better than I have in years. I took a risk the following night and did not purchase any sleep aid and was delightfully shocked that I fell asleep like a baby once again. That’s a miracle.

• Stayed April 2010
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I've been coming to Miracle Manor several times a year for the past seven years. Miracle manor is a semi-rejuvenated old 50's motel with a 21st Century design aesthetic. I like the hot mineral water pools, the simple comfort of the rooms, the excellent massage treatments, comfortable bed and linens, and the healthy continental breakfast. The view over the valley and of the mountains are incredible. One should understand that this is not a full service hotel, but a small facility designed for quiet personal retreats. I always leave feeling rested and relaxed.

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Mill Valley, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

Well, the place is unique and the managers of the inn kindly refunded our deposit when we asked to leave early. Problems? Super hard, I mean really, really hard bed. No blinds/shades on windows and lights left on outside shine in all night long. Neighborhood noise was intrusive from about 5-10 pm. Nice pool and hot pool. Just too tired to enjoy......

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Americas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

This was our second stay at Miracle Manor. It's a little on the pricey side, but last year it was well worth it. This time, to our surprise, even though we stayed for four nights with the kitchen unit included, there was zero room service. Not even the garbage bags in the kitchen were replaced.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

This was my third amazing trip to Miracle Manor Retreat, but this time I brought my mom. This was her first trip to California, and of course the desert. We got rooms 5 and 6, which have a full kitchen between them and made our stay better than perfect. This is a place to relax, enjoy the scenery, take amazing pictures and of course unwind in the thermal waters while catching up on your reading. I assure you that you wont want to leave...and you'll come back, like us! Across the street is Cabot's Trading Post, a museum and gift shop and an amazing place to take pictures. Miracle Manor Retreat offers a continental breakfast...with hard-boiled eggs, a wide selection of amazing organic breads, jams and yogurts, with fresh seasonal fruit and the refreshing cucumber water. There are so many options...you'll have a very late lunch. We've loved this place so much that we bought a bed very similar to the custom made one in the rooms, due to the convenience of under bed storage and how it elongates the room. The managers Greg and Chery are amazing, very friendly and welcoming. The best thing about this place, well other than the pool, simplicity and decor is the location, only 1 hr and 50 minute drive from Pasadena to feel like you are in a different state, due to the change of scenery and weather. There is no noise other that the sounds of nature...what's better than that!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Pasadena, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

We arrived at the hotel with an itinerary of things to see and do nearby. Once we stepped into the mineral waters of the pool, however, we canceled every plan we had just to relax in the warm waters. Something about this place lets you clear your mind and enjoy doing absolutely nothing: perhaps it's the intimate setting, the minimalist styling, or the stunning view of the desert that makes you feel like you're far away from reality.

The rooms are gorgeous: no TVs, clocks, or radios, just a beautiful view of the desert. The staff is very friendly, and our massage was delightful. Their complimentary breakfast included a selection of fresh, organic foods, which was a nice touch.

We left the Manor feeling refreshed and rejuvenated, and with tons of beautiful photographs. Be sure to pack a camera!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Miracle Manor? Share your experiences!