“needs cleaned up” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10805 Palm Drive, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240   |
Ranked #20 of 27 hotels in Desert Hot Springs
“needs cleaned up”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2005

We have been staying here for several years the bottom floor 24 hour a day access is great it really is poolside. The rooms have always left alot to be desired it is not hardly even a motel six in accomadations, every thing is old and wore out. This year it was not as clean as usual, the outside poolside ares were dirty bird crap and feathers that went for days not washed down or cleaned up pigeon crap in the hot tubs and the grounds all around some minor attempts to clean up in the AM but not much.
Please made it a clean healthy place to visit again.

Clean up the rooms and the inside pool ares and keep it clean.

Stayed April 2005

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2005

Thank goodness for Trip Advisor! With the mixed reviews, I was hesitant to stay at the Desert Hot Springs Resort so we chose to stay in Palm Springs and opt for a day pass at DHS Resort which was the perfect choice. The facilities were average, absolutely no surprise there, and exactly as described by everyone's past reviews. Whoever had said it was more like a Motel 6 was “right on”. The service by the wait staff was exceptional, very attentive, and the bartender made the best mango-raspberry margaritas reasonably priced at $6 each.

Thoughts of a serene, stress releasing atmosphere followed by indulgent massages quickly vanished as we heard the shrieking of children of all ages, which were the majority of the population at the resort when we arrived on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. The main pool was completely cloudy and so murkey you could not see the bottom, and lost its appeal as most of the kids stayed in that one with their floating rafts and various toys which we did not expect to see. A smaller circular soaking pool at a temperate 86 degrees or so was short lived because of kids running and splashing everyone. Not our idea of serene and peaceful! We noticed most of the day pass guests were all adults which confirmed we had made the right decision in not to stay overnight at this particular facility.

The two “Jacuzzi” style pools were crystal clear and a super 104 degrees however they did not have fully operating jets – one only had two operable while the other had three out of a possible eight. It was hard to relax with kids running around and screaming. They were having a blast and I have no problem with that. I have an issue with a facility boasting how serene and relaxing their atmosphere is when it is not. If I wanted screaming kids I would have gone to Disney. Very disappointing.

My daughter and I went to one of the massage rooms that bordered the main pool and shut the door. The room was very appealing and we closed our eyes as we inhaled the sweet smell of massage oil only to be disappointed to learn we could still hear the shrieking of the kids in the pool. Needless to say, we passed on any of the spa features we so looked forward to and decided to get our spa services back home. We left after a couple of short hours and spent time at the quieter hotel pool (Marriott Courtyard, Palm Springs), then out for a fun evening of great food and shopping in Palm Springs.

Perhaps choosing a holiday weekend was our mistake. Next time however, we will probably opt for one of the private spas.

• Stayed September 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2005

Get a contractor in there and shore up the joint.Maybe a concrete deck would be a good investment.I enjoyed the stay after a 20 year stretch.Had me a fine --- women along so what the hell, it was fun.Hope the'll take me back in twenty more years.

• Stayed July 2005
corona, ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

I reserved this hotel for my mom's birthday for the night on July 16. We were promised the hotel would be ready by 3 if it was ready earlier we would get the hotel. I realized at check in it's a schpeel they tell guests. You get your room at 3. We were booked a second floor room... NO ELEVATOR PEOPLE! I had stayed with my mom, my 3 yr old and my 5 month old.... you know the gear you have to lug right?

In the room it's nice.. Needs updating I'm not going to lie. It's like a Best Western. I went to make my babie's bottle, and there were ants on the counter. I called the front desk to change rooms... sorry no can do. The maintence guy came with a Roach Can Spray. We told him OH NO we have babies you can't spray that here. We called the front desk and they said that's all they could do. So we sprayed ourselves after we left for dinner. When we called for towels the next morning, there were ANTS ON THE TOWELS! GROSS. My mom (LOL) wiped them off and said ok who's ready to shower! LOL

Don't expect much from the town. You will have to go to Palm Springs for dinner. Most restaurants are closed for good or closed for the summer. We ate at Nicolo's in Palm Desert. I make better Italian food and I'm not Italian. It served it's purpose I suppose. We went for ice cream in Palm Springs at Cold Stone. All in all we made the best of it and had a nice time and the kids enjoyed the pool. My 3 yr old loved to do Cannon Balls or as she called them "Cataloupes".

P.s. If you go to the front desk from the pool area to check on your room(Woman) wear a cover up.. the guy at the front desk eyes you like Candy. Gross. I'm a mom of 2 and was wearing a once piece at that.... just a word of caution.

• Stayed July 2005
Riverside, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

I challenge you to find any place in the world with better room service at DHS's affordable price! That alone makes this place unbelievable.

The room itself was pretty good -- a decent size with nice accomodations. The patios are terrific and it doesn't get much more "poolside" than this! Our kids had a blast in the main pool and there were several other kids playing. The adults are off in the hot tubs so there is no conflict. The water is as gorgeous and refreshing as advertised! Although the pools were active late, the noise did not bother us in our room at all. There is convenient shopping nearby if you need anything.

My wife got a massage and said it was terrific. We did go for a breakfast service that was unbearably slow, but the food was extremely good once it arrived.

We go on many weekend getaways and thus far, we consider DHS as a runaway #1 for overall resort experience!

• Stayed June 2005
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2005

We came to the desert to escape the cold weather of New York. The Hotel room was clean. We had a small balcony that overlooked the pool area. The pools were great each one was set at a different temperature. The fellow guest were friendly. People talk to you in the pool about everything from gardening to politic to cars. People were laid back and relaxed. We ate at the coffee shop. It wasn't that far off from a Manhattan Coffee shop (eggs, sandwiches, dinner ice cream etc.). It rain some of the days we were there. On the rainy day we went to the malls. I would have been upset if we were at once of those top dollar hotel and it rained. We bought stuff at the gift shop too (tee shirts). All and all we enjoy our stay. We are thinking of going back there in Feb 07.

• Stayed February 2004
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2005

This place is awful....

Rooms filthy, seedy atmosphere. One positive are the staff in the restaurant - although the food is not very nice.

The worst problem for us was the spa. I booked a foot treatment (which the lady removed from a zip lock bag and then sat me in a windowless, tiny room) and a massage. The man who gave me the massage was the strangest man I have ever met and was inappropriate to say the least.

I would not consider staying there ever again - it doesn't match up to even the worst hotel in Palm Springs, and talking to the staff of the hotel it would seem that they would agree with me!

I hate to be so negative because their prices are quite reasonable but this place really is nasty.

Stayed March 2005

Been to Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!