“Went Downhill Big time! Plus super Rude Bartender Josie!” 1 of 5 stars

Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10805 Palm Drive, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240   |
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Redlands, California
“Went Downhill Big time! Plus super Rude Bartender Josie!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

First let me begin to say that I have been a regular guest at DHS Spa for over 12 years now.

So, my friend and I checked in and the lady at the front desk was nice, the lady in the gift shop was nice and Brandi the bartender was nice.
I've been bartending over 7 years and in the restaurant industry over 10. My friend has been a server about 10 years as well; we appreciate good service and nice people.

The food was cheap but not very good.
The pools were really dirty...way worse than ever.
Our room was really cheap...but not very nice at all...very old...not too clean.
It was loud, lots of kids and a lot of people do smoke in the spa areas.
There was actually a sign on the pool fence saying if you diarrhea not to go in the spas....that obviously turned me off immediately.
Plus you can't bring in any food or drinks anymore.

But all this is forgivable, kind of was expecting it...Until we met the bartender, Josie. She was awful. She was rude, short with us and insulting. Towards the end of the night I went to close my tab with her. She ran my card and handed me the receipt to sign (with no itemized receipt). I noticed it was pretty high. I a little surprised since I knew we closed out earlier with another bartender and my friend also had a tab open. So I asked to see my itemized receipt. She was immediately defensive and said mockingly "you have been drinking for like 5 hours", she tone of voice was so demeaning and judgmental. We had drank a few but we were at a spa resort looking to relax as adults and not have a bartender make us feel bad about that. It's her job to be courteous to her customers.

Anyway, she gave me the itemized and I instantly saw her mistake, over rang a "surprise" drink and a vodka drink. I know 100% I only had one of her surprise and knew how many vodkas I had. So I politely corrected her. My friend then got her tab and she had one too many vodka drinks as well. Josie instantly got defensive again and sneeringly said if we can't keep track of what we drink we shouldn't have a tab open. She said many rude things like this in front of other customers at the bar. She started yelling at us! I have never been treated so rudely! I told her what, how and when I ordered each drink and proved she made a mistake. She did admit she over rang one drink and took it off the bill. I told her about the other 2vodka drinks and she would not remove them. I told her if she wouldn't I would have to talk to her manager. Her voice was raised so loud and everyone was staring at us so we were humiliated and felt like cheapskates so my friend told her to just put the drinks in question on her bill. I was outraged, not about the money, about the way she spoke to us! She has no right to yell at us and talk down to us like we are stupid. Yes, we were buzzed, but I went over it all night and today, she was in the wrong. 100% I thought about it and remembered each drink. But even if I was in the wrong (which I was not) her behavior is inexcusable.

I went to speak to the manager, Jim came in I told him the story about the extra drink charges and how rude, insulting and patronizing Josie had been to my friend and I. He didn't even really apologize. He went to the bar to speak with Josie. When he came back he said he "couldn't reverse the charges" but he wrote on the back of his business card 3 free well drinks on our next visit. I told him he didn't understand, 1.) We will never be coming back and 2.) We don't care about the money, that was not the big deal, we were simply outraged by her horrific customer service. Jim actually almost snapped at me saying "what do you want me to do?!". I said he should write her up for her bad attitude and awful service and he should reverse the charges. He said he couldn't do it because he didn't even work at this hotel and worked at one up the street. After talking awhile it was apparent that he wouldn't or couldn't do anything about how Josie treated us. I could tell he thought we were just young dumb drunk girls and didn't care to fix the situation.

Basically, we had the worst experience in a bar ever and will never be back. I really think Josie rings in extra drinks and does not give an itemized receipt because most of her customers are under the influence on alcohol and don't notice. Another lady says she was also double charged. Customers just see the recommended gratuity, 15% 18% or 20%, pick one and sign the slip. Therefor she gets a bigger tip then deserved.

Please beware of Josie! Do NOT give her your credit card!!!! She is not honest and incredibly rude!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I appreciate you getting in touch with me, just as you did on Yelp. Let me first start by apologizing for the unusually rude service you experienced at our bar. As a regular patron of ours for over a decade, you know we're capable of much better. This no doubt was a frustrating ordeal for you, and for that I am very sorry.

You're absolutely right: It's never acceptable for an employee in the service industry to yell at a customer. We strive to treat our guests with nothing but the utmost respect, and the fact that you felt taken advantage of certainly isn't in line with our practices and policies. Please know that I plan on speaking with Josie and Jim personally so we can avoid situations like this going forward.

Our guests are important to us, and the last thing we want is for anyone to feel like we're trying to pull the wool over their eyes. We'd never intentionally ring up extra drinks or try to slip one over on a customer. I'm sorry if you felt like that's what we were trying to do; I can assure you that wasn't our intention.

Michael, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

In the course of thirty years, I have gone often to the Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel. I have cherished memories of frequent trips with my parents to the hotel and recall when there were metal lounge chairs in the pools that expelled pressurized water for 0.25 cents and you had to push the button for the pool jets to come on. The Spa was a friendly place, with great water, nice people, clean and well managed. Being nostalgic, I looked it up on the web finding this site and after reading the ratings and replies, I thought I would add my experience.
5 years ago, I began visiting the Spa weekly as a day use guest, ate regularly at the cafe and stayed as a hotel guest. In the course of time, I got to know the other regular customers by name and enjoyed soaking and socializing. I keep up with many of them.
I saw the place change from what was a treasure going downhill to a disaster. I am sad to say that I would never know what I would find the day we went there, the upkeep, maintenance and service was inconsistent and kept decreasing.

I stopped staying in the rooms because something always broke or did not work like the a/c or tv or something needed cleaning. Then the same happened with the day use areas, the showers were dirty more than clean, the shower heads broken, the pools were not maintained, or too cold or hot, or the jets not working, the tile falling off, the pools overflowing with water, debris not removed, etc.
When in town, I used to purchase my dinner at the Café for me and my family after we decided not to stay at the hotel anymore. Then the quality of the food dropped.
So we found another favorite Spa to frequent. Sad.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
While it's great to hear you have so many fond memories of our hotel, I'm disappointed that you feel like it's gone downhill over the years. It's loyal customers like you who've helped us grow as a local business, and the last thing I want is for you to be put off by the condition of our pools and rooms. We're always working to improve our facilities while maintaining the mid-century modern feel we're known for, and I hope you'll give us another chance to put our best foot forward so you can experience our upgrades firsthand. I know we've got what it takes to impress you again!

Mesa, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have been there a couple of times. I had thought maybe it was a bad day for me or the hotel. Yet after going back a third time. Two were day passes to the spa, while my girlfriend had services.
I then had a service. The massage rooms are tiny and noisy. They have individual air condition units that Blow loud the whole service.
The locker rooms, shower bathroom are filthy dirty. The Hot tubs lack jets, half with pressure,half without.. NO ONE takes a shower nor are they encouraged to. People exit from the Sauna to the jacuzzi and dip in to the Jacuzzi as it is their own bathtub. No showers outside to even rinse before going. The chemicals used are too slim to overcome that kind of fecal matter immersion
The Chaise lounges are stained with dirt. Never pressure washed. Still got sticky food and ?? stuck to the straps and arms. The 3 dollar Tuesday is when Homeless come. I have seen them wash their laundry in the jacuzzi's. Hang socks on the chairs,etc. Saw that the second time I was there. Why I tried a third, with a service is beyond me. Must have lost my mind? Or thought that for a 50. savings for two was worth it. NOT!
Skip it, head over to Morongo Casino 25 minutes down the 10 Fwy. Sage Spa. The 25% more cost for services will be long forgotten after you have a nice day, with clean facilities and helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
I'm disappointed to hear you were less than thrilled with your experiences at our hotel. Please be assured that cleanliness is a top priority to us, and we take every precaution to ensure that our guests are relaxing in a healthy environment. Our customers are important to us, and the last thing we want is for anyone to feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

That being said, I appreciate you speaking up about what you've observed. We understand that there's always room to improve, and I can assure you your feedback will be put to good use.

Winthrop, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We had a room right by the seven pools, and could see when the crowds had thinned enough for us to enjoy a quiet soak. We checked in on a Sunday afternoon, and didn't want to dip in the pools because of the crowds and noise. In the evening, night and morning, we pretty much had the pools to ourselves.
We recommend booking online - we saved more than 50% off the rack rate. I think weekdays would have fewer crowds.

Room Tip: We liked our room by the pools. When we wanted a mountain view, we could just go out the front door.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thanks for your recommendation! I'm sorry you were put off by the crowds and noise, but I'm glad you eventually got to relax in our pools. Other reviewers certainly will appreciate your tips!

Safe travels,
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This used to be a nice hotel with its thermal pools. No longer. The owner figures that by charging individuals five bucks a day to populate the place that he need not renovate or provide good service to hotel guests. My TV got half the channels. I asked at the front desk if my remote was bad and they said no, it was the TV but no offer to fix it. Sliding door on balcony would never close properly letting in the wind which is well known there. If you stay ,do not get a pool view room because the "crowd noise" continues after 10 pm. The good news if the low cost massages and the cute little café.

Room Tip: Try next door at the Miracle Springs Hotel - same ownership.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review. While it's great to hear you enjoy our cafe and spa, I'm sorry your most recent stay didn't meet your expectations. We like for everyone to have a great time when they stay with us, and I'm disappointed this wasn't the case for you.

That being said, I can assure you our day pass program hasn't affected our renovation efforts or the way we treat our customers. We're always working on upgrades to keep the hotel up-to-date, but it sounds like you were in one of the rooms we have yet to work on. Hopefully you'll give us another chance so you can see your feedback in motion!

Safe travels,
south staffs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Tired rooms but you come here for the great nine , yes nine pools of various temperatures which the rooms overlook.
If the rooms had a makeover this would have a 5 star rating .
Come here for the spa's not the rooms

Room Tip: Its worth staying in the poor rooms as the pools are just fantastic.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thanks for your review. While it's great to hear you recommend our mineral pools, I'm sorry you were disappointed in our rooms. We're always working on upgrades to keep our mid-century modern hotel in tip-top shape; hopefully next time you visit you'll be able to see your feedback in action!

All the best,
Pacifica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were concerned after reading some negative Yelps after we booked and before we checked in. We were very pleasantly surprised after we got there. At least one negative Yelp issue seemed to have been totally invented; this problem did NOT exist.
Plusses: large assortment of choices in the restaurant, which has outdoor tables with service by the palms and pools. This included an adequate selection of food my vegan husband could eat. This was not true of the more upscale hotel where our friends stayed, the Aqua Soleil, where the menu was very limited even for omnivores. There are 8 pools with different temperatures in each! They get vacuumed and cleaned every morning, with testing throughout the day. I had a wonderful deep tissue massage, which compared favorably in both quality and price to the one at Aqua Soleil. We would stay here again.
Cons: the hotel is in need of restoration/repair. The shower in our room screeched LOUDLY when used. Cigarette smoking is permitted by the pools, which get very crowded with "day" users, a few of whom stay until as late as midnight.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a pool view, not a mountain (parking lot) view. If you don't mind g...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay and were pleasantly surprised by our hotel. We want each of our guests to have a great time when they visit us, and it sounds like you did just that.

It was our pleasure to accommodate your husband's dietary needs. I'm also thrilled that you were pleased with your massage and the crisp, clean pool. Our staff works hard to make sure everyone has an exceptional experience, and I know they'll be as thankful for your review as I am.

As far as the repairs are concerned, we're in the process of replacing the shower heads in our guest rooms. We're also working on upgrades to our pool areas and air conditioners; hopefully those projects will be complete by your next visit!

'Til then,
Michael, Owner

Been to Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!