“a magic night in desert hot springs” 5 of 5 stars

Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10805 Palm Drive, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240   |
Ranked #19 of 27 hotels in Desert Hot Springs
arizona
“a magic night in desert hot springs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

If I didn't already leave this review, I hope you get it...a really, really nice place with many hot tubs and a fabulous swimming pool! A spacious room with all the fixin's too! The front desk folks were friendly and so helpful.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thanks for your recommendation! I'm glad you love our guest rooms and amenities. I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to the front desk crew; it'll make their day!

Hope to see you again,

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were here back in April, and it's quite nice to see that folks are taking more time to clean up around the pools. There was a lack of cigarette butts on the ground, which was great. Our main complaint this trip was the unevenness of the water temps in the evening. Both small pools along the room side were below 95 degrees at night, forcing folks into the two small pools by the spa services area. The two 100 degree pools were packed to the gills, so we didn't bother trying to get in. During the day the water temps were fine for all the pools, in the 100 degree range, but at night, they need to be monitored to make sure that people can actually use them without freezing. I did notice the fellow taking water temps during daylight hours; perhaps he can do so after dark to assure warmer tubs when the sun has gone down.

Our room phone kept going off around four thirty in the morning. When it would repeatedly ring during the day with no one on the other end, I called the front desk to ask if they were trying to get a hold of us. They said no, apologized for the issue (I guess they are upgrading the system?), and I unplugged the darned thing. Problem solved.

Restaurant was fine, and since I'd left my suit here last visit, the gift shop was a treasure.

Room Tip: Downstairs by the smaller pools.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
michaelbickford, Owner at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review! I'm so happy to hear you noticed the changes we've been making. We welcome all customer feedback, and it's comments like yours that help us pinpoint areas of improvement.

I appreciate you mentioning you felt the water temperatures were uneven. Monitoring the pools at night is a great idea, and it's definitely something we'll take into consideration.

'Til next time,
Michael, Owner

P.S. Glad the gift shop was helpful to you!
Big Bear City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed at the Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel a place we have stayed many times. It was beginning to look aged and very vintage. We were happy to see they are painting, repairing and putting new deck coat around the pools. Pools were very clean and open 24 hours. The carpet and the linens in the rooms need updating next! But they did put in new air conditioning and shower heads in the room with a view that we stayed in. Coffemaker and refrigerator were a bonus! The staff were incredibly nice, especially Marjorie and Danny. It made our stay more enjoyable. The food in the cafe is very good too.Didn't use the spa services or gift shop this trip but they are available. A great, relaxing visit!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the East side of the Hotel to get the maximum sun on your deck. If traveling with s...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback! It's great to hear you took note of the upgrades we've been working on. We strive to maintain the mid-century modern feel we're known for while keeping our facilities up-to-date, so I appreciate you pointing that out.

I'll be sure to pass your kudos along to Danny, Marjorie and the rest of the staff. They work hard to make each of our guests feel welcome and comfortable, so I know they'll appreciate your review as much as I do! Hope to have you back soon.

Best,
Yorba Linda, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Made a reservation over the memorial day weekend to get away, was attracted to the website and hoping for a nice relaxing time.

Upon entering the lobby to ck in the receptionist did not even bother to welcome us and asked us to wait, she was busy doing something else. While we stood there and waiting she attended to other guests who were walking up to the desk (after we arrived ) to pay for day passes to the pool area. She continued to do so for 20 minutes finally, I told he how much longer was she expecting us to wait since we already had a reservation.

She then handed us 2 sets of keys and told she couldn't register us at this time and just to go to the room. Alarm bells were going of in my hand but to give this hotel a chance I continued thinking I would give them the benefit. This hotel has a central gate that you have to unlock with the keys she gave us. None of the keys she gave us worked so another guest was walking pass the gate and I asked her to open the gate, since I had my bags and it would be easier for me to just go to the room first then sort out the gates later.

Finally I get to the room 210 and try to open the door and only to find there was another guest already in the room. That was the final straw and did if for me, I went back to reception and demanded a refund. She fave us a key that did not open the central gate and sent us to a room that was already occupied.

The receptionist did not even apologize, this was the worst experience ever. We were hungry tired and appalled by the horrible service this hotel provides. We then went up the street to their sister hotel up the street and had a wonderful meal in their restaurant, where Kym our waitress was kind enough to apologize on their behalf. She suggested we consider coming back to the sister hotel but after this experience not to sure

I normally do not post this blogs but after what we went through I do not recommend anyone going there. :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for the heads up on the unacceptable treatment you received. It's hard to know how to respond to your review-- sounds like our computers were down at the time-- but I'm not going to make excuses. Be assured i will pass this on to the ownership, GM and front desk manager. And thank you for mentioning our top-notch Capri Restaurant next door!
grover beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

our group of 4 adults and one 11 year old spent about 5 hours enjoying the hot pools here. I had stayed here as a 4-5 year old in the early 60's, so it was interesting to see the changes. Facilities were clean and staff was constantly scooping leaves from pools. The pools could use a face lift as concrete is getting old. But other than that, we had an enjoyable time-except for the 11 year old who forgot to bring a book! Also, there is a restaurant/sports bar on premises, so you can eat there or have drinks by the pool. We had our food in the car and ate there, but did enjoy the bar! Good deal at $5.00 per person.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Seal Beach, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My family used to visit this hotel back in the 80's. I had long forgotten about it until while suffering with back and sholder problems a family member reminded me that my parents found the waters very healing. I felt a little uneasy booking after reading the reviews. but went ahead and booked anyway. I am so glad I did. Yes, the rooms are a little outdated, but the room was very large and was very clean. Sliding doors to a private patio leading to the pool area was very nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is a good family restaurant with reasonable prices. The pools are old, but the varing of temperatures of the waters in the 8 pools gives every one a choice for comfort. I found the water very healing. I felt great during my stay as well as for days afterward. We went mid-week and found a light crowd and minimal noise. I felt so good that we returned 3 weeks later for another soak and stay. It appears that improvements to the property are being made as we observed work in progress during both stays. If you are looking to go first class, this is not for you, but if you are looking for a clean, family friendly resort with wonderful waters this hotel fits the bill.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was late in reading the reviews for this Hotel My sisters and I were wanting to take a Nostgalia trip and when we were in our 20's this was the place to be, But as I read some of the reviews I was really apprehensive kind of wishing we had not booked. But we went for it, We had the BEST Time, We usually stay in these 5 star Hotels and then we found out this place was not even Trible AAA approved anymore so we were worried, Again we had the BEST Time we really were able to relax no movie stars here, yes it was party central until after 2 but have you ever stayed in downtown Waikiki, Yes the Pools are Old but the water was still healing, One of my sisters has atropied from a stroke she said after the pools she felt so good, As a matter of fact we all felt really good, (Still Do). The restaurant was Good not Great But good enough, We went and listened to Karoke and laughed but we were not brave enough to go up which we later said we did regret! The help was excellent, The music still plays out at the Pool area All the kids were having fun, We didn't have any children with us but none of the kids got on our nerves, Every one was friendly, Our room was spotless, yes it was a bit Vintage, but the sheets were clean the soap smells good. The door was hard to lock but it locked. The TV is old as the hills but we were so tired we fell asleep and slept just fine. We couldn't wait to go the Sunshine Cafe and get Breakfast and back out to the Pool area. Yes there was Smoking and Drinking This is the Speak Easy you have been looking for. But don't get to Crazy they will call the POLICE on you I'm giving this Hotel a 8 not the POSH Hotel of yester Years, But Price wise and a heck of a lot fun! You want Hoity Toity go the Sister Hotel across the Street, You want to just let it all hang out GO to DHS!!

Room Tip: Go to relax not Judge, You will have a better time. If you find BUGS they will not be Bed Bugs your...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you so much for you kind review! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay here.

Been to Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!