“horrible experience” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Yorba Linda, California
“horrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Made a reservation over the memorial day weekend to get away, was attracted to the website and hoping for a nice relaxing time.

Upon entering the lobby to ck in the receptionist did not even bother to welcome us and asked us to wait, she was busy doing something else. While we stood there and waiting she attended to other guests who were walking up to the desk (after we arrived ) to pay for day passes to the pool area. She continued to do so for 20 minutes finally, I told he how much longer was she expecting us to wait since we already had a reservation.

She then handed us 2 sets of keys and told she couldn't register us at this time and just to go to the room. Alarm bells were going of in my hand but to give this hotel a chance I continued thinking I would give them the benefit. This hotel has a central gate that you have to unlock with the keys she gave us. None of the keys she gave us worked so another guest was walking pass the gate and I asked her to open the gate, since I had my bags and it would be easier for me to just go to the room first then sort out the gates later.

Finally I get to the room 210 and try to open the door and only to find there was another guest already in the room. That was the final straw and did if for me, I went back to reception and demanded a refund. She fave us a key that did not open the central gate and sent us to a room that was already occupied.

The receptionist did not even apologize, this was the worst experience ever. We were hungry tired and appalled by the horrible service this hotel provides. We then went up the street to their sister hotel up the street and had a wonderful meal in their restaurant, where Kym our waitress was kind enough to apologize on their behalf. She suggested we consider coming back to the sister hotel but after this experience not to sure

I normally do not post this blogs but after what we went through I do not recommend anyone going there. :(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for the heads up on the unacceptable treatment you received. It's hard to know how to respond to your review-- sounds like our computers were down at the time-- but I'm not going to make excuses. Be assured i will pass this on to the ownership, GM and front desk manager. And thank you for mentioning our top-notch Capri Restaurant next door!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
grover beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

our group of 4 adults and one 11 year old spent about 5 hours enjoying the hot pools here. I had stayed here as a 4-5 year old in the early 60's, so it was interesting to see the changes. Facilities were clean and staff was constantly scooping leaves from pools. The pools could use a face lift as concrete is getting old. But other than that, we had an enjoyable time-except for the 11 year old who forgot to bring a book! Also, there is a restaurant/sports bar on premises, so you can eat there or have drinks by the pool. We had our food in the car and ate there, but did enjoy the bar! Good deal at $5.00 per person.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Seal Beach, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My family used to visit this hotel back in the 80's. I had long forgotten about it until while suffering with back and sholder problems a family member reminded me that my parents found the waters very healing. I felt a little uneasy booking after reading the reviews. but went ahead and booked anyway. I am so glad I did. Yes, the rooms are a little outdated, but the room was very large and was very clean. Sliding doors to a private patio leading to the pool area was very nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is a good family restaurant with reasonable prices. The pools are old, but the varing of temperatures of the waters in the 8 pools gives every one a choice for comfort. I found the water very healing. I felt great during my stay as well as for days afterward. We went mid-week and found a light crowd and minimal noise. I felt so good that we returned 3 weeks later for another soak and stay. It appears that improvements to the property are being made as we observed work in progress during both stays. If you are looking to go first class, this is not for you, but if you are looking for a clean, family friendly resort with wonderful waters this hotel fits the bill.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was late in reading the reviews for this Hotel My sisters and I were wanting to take a Nostgalia trip and when we were in our 20's this was the place to be, But as I read some of the reviews I was really apprehensive kind of wishing we had not booked. But we went for it, We had the BEST Time, We usually stay in these 5 star Hotels and then we found out this place was not even Trible AAA approved anymore so we were worried, Again we had the BEST Time we really were able to relax no movie stars here, yes it was party central until after 2 but have you ever stayed in downtown Waikiki, Yes the Pools are Old but the water was still healing, One of my sisters has atropied from a stroke she said after the pools she felt so good, As a matter of fact we all felt really good, (Still Do). The restaurant was Good not Great But good enough, We went and listened to Karoke and laughed but we were not brave enough to go up which we later said we did regret! The help was excellent, The music still plays out at the Pool area All the kids were having fun, We didn't have any children with us but none of the kids got on our nerves, Every one was friendly, Our room was spotless, yes it was a bit Vintage, but the sheets were clean the soap smells good. The door was hard to lock but it locked. The TV is old as the hills but we were so tired we fell asleep and slept just fine. We couldn't wait to go the Sunshine Cafe and get Breakfast and back out to the Pool area. Yes there was Smoking and Drinking This is the Speak Easy you have been looking for. But don't get to Crazy they will call the POLICE on you I'm giving this Hotel a 8 not the POSH Hotel of yester Years, But Price wise and a heck of a lot fun! You want Hoity Toity go the Sister Hotel across the Street, You want to just let it all hang out GO to DHS!!

Room Tip: Go to relax not Judge, You will have a better time. If you find BUGS they will not be Bed Bugs your...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you so much for you kind review! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay here.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

sometimes it is true that "what you pay is what you get." If you pay the very low cost to come here for the day, you get a very low experience. I love the desert and have been coming to the desert for years with my family. this place gave me such yucky memories that I have been reluctant to go back. It is ugly, the people are really creepy and the whole thing is just a bummer. really run down and scummy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
edina, minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

years ago we went for a week. the rooms were not great but the water in the pools was warm and clean mineral water for good joint and pain relief. the food was decent for the price. the staff was overworked as their were understaffed so bad service was not their fault really. Recently went back knowing it was not the best but the water was the draw for us. OMG what a terrible waste of our money that we saved for this trip. The faucet leaked, the toilet was tricky to flush.
We went to the store to get cleaning supplies to clean the room. the floor in the bathroom had hair on it. The people next door to us told us at the pool they had bugs.The very old televisons were still there with very few channels and a bad remote.Oh yes the refrig did not keep cold. The patio furniture did not match and was missing several of the plastic straps you sit on. The screen door was completely off track my husband spend time on it twice and got it better. Now after cleaning we decided to make the best of it...the beautiful little brochure on the desk reminded us of the wonderful "miracle water" and we again prepared ourselves for our special trip. The water advertised was a lie. The main pool advertised even in the room as 87 or 86( should look it up) was soo cold. we asked the maintenance guys who were there as well as the desk staff...they dont do that anymore. Worse the smell of chlorine in every spa and especially in the main pool. This is advertised as aquaifer water that they cool off. Now they tell us it they dont pay to heat it anymore. one family at the pool said it used to be aquaifer water that was cooled down so they did not heat they were told it is city water with chlorine and then mixed with aquaifer and heated which costs them so that is a budget cut ...so that did not match. the miracle water image at all. In the small spas... most yes most of the jets do not work and they just say yes that happens... we were there a week nothing was fixed. the service in the bar and restaurant is good at breakfast and very very slow at late lunch or dinner. the bartender guy and the main female waitress both have major attitude. they do not want to serve on the patio although it is set for service as it is challenging to spread everyone in and out for the servers. Room service is very bad as the same people had to leave for that including that mouthy bartender.. The place is run down, unclean everywhere including the forks on the table. The miracle waters donot exist. They are understaffed which may be why they are so mouthy.You are advised not to walk around off property as it is unsafe..as we drove around to try to find a decent restaurant we found it all to be very true. we drove to the next town for meals other than breakfast. Thank you tripadvisor for having this site...we are happy to help others. Forgot to mention heavy drinking and smoking cigars in the pools near the rooms at all hours permitted in their policy. someone took our lawn chairs left our gate open and we had to find them in the morning. Very very noisy. we were there late spring 2012

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, albeit it a pretty bad one. I wish you had called the desk and asked for a room change, but we may have been sold out when you were here. However, maintenance is always just a call away and usually responds within 3 minutes.
As far as the water goes, it is bona fide pure mineral water which we do cool down to different temperatures before pumping into the mineral spring pools. The chlorine content is a State rule. We would love to do without it, because it leads people to believe they’re in just regular swimming pool water, but we must add the minimum chlorine required daily.
Regarding the restaurant & room service, I am forwarding your review to the relevant manager for some remedial action and training.
Thank you again for this constructive review. Be assured it is not going unnoticed and will be acted upon immediately.
Phelan, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

so I have frequented this establishment for a couple months. Yes it is true, it is white trash central. But their have been no problems with other guests or day users. Kids galore which was fine since I have 2 small ones myself. My issues are with the hotel and most of the staff. I have spent close to a grand here in the last month just visiting for a few days at a time. Currently this will be my last stay. When I called and made my original reservation I asked if there were any specials... They didn't offer any. On my third day my children wanted to stay again and I went to the front desk to pay and seen a advertisment stating that pay 2 nights get the 3rd free. When I asked about it the lady behind the desk was brash and short. She stated that you had to ask for it when you called to make your original reservation. What really? I asked if there were any specials. Then she said that you had to get the discount from the internet. So I went back to my room reseached their website and several other websites, none of them had that offer. when I returned she threw away the advertisment and I was told there was nothing they could do......REALLY.
Onto my room. My countertop is cracked, not like a little crack but completely cracked in half. You have to hold down the handle on the toilet the entire time the toilet is flushing, Now the worst of all. My wonderful shower is full of the "body" (to put it nicely) hair, shampoo and body soap from the person above me. I have complained and it just doesn't seem to matter. As far as that saying of you get what you pay for... Well I have paid over $300.00 for these 3 days. So I would expect a little more from the staff than what I have got. So much for being a premium return guest, apparently they don't really want my money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
krystalb, Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
In response to your complaints about the amount of money you spent, we
have no promise to honor any rate other than what you signed for at
check in. Most promotions must be made for redemption in the future
and cannot be handed right to you at check out. We are a family spa
with many nice hotel ammenities like complimentary wifi and 24 use of
the pools for hotel guests. I am not sure that the level of
disruption from the day travelers continued on all throughout your
stay.
We do offer promotions and specials on our websites and many travel
sites. You can send us your email and we will include them for future
use. If you would like to come see what we can do for you in light of
your recent experience, we also manage another resort that may be just
the romantic quiet retreat you have been looking for.

Been to Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!