“once you go youll never go back” 1 of 5 stars

Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10805 Palm Drive, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240   |
Ranked #20 of 27 hotels in Desert Hot Springs
edina, minnesota
“once you go youll never go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

years ago we went for a week. the rooms were not great but the water in the pools was warm and clean mineral water for good joint and pain relief. the food was decent for the price. the staff was overworked as their were understaffed so bad service was not their fault really. Recently went back knowing it was not the best but the water was the draw for us. OMG what a terrible waste of our money that we saved for this trip. The faucet leaked, the toilet was tricky to flush.
We went to the store to get cleaning supplies to clean the room. the floor in the bathroom had hair on it. The people next door to us told us at the pool they had bugs.The very old televisons were still there with very few channels and a bad remote.Oh yes the refrig did not keep cold. The patio furniture did not match and was missing several of the plastic straps you sit on. The screen door was completely off track my husband spend time on it twice and got it better. Now after cleaning we decided to make the best of it...the beautiful little brochure on the desk reminded us of the wonderful "miracle water" and we again prepared ourselves for our special trip. The water advertised was a lie. The main pool advertised even in the room as 87 or 86( should look it up) was soo cold. we asked the maintenance guys who were there as well as the desk staff...they dont do that anymore. Worse the smell of chlorine in every spa and especially in the main pool. This is advertised as aquaifer water that they cool off. Now they tell us it they dont pay to heat it anymore. one family at the pool said it used to be aquaifer water that was cooled down so they did not heat they were told it is city water with chlorine and then mixed with aquaifer and heated which costs them so that is a budget cut ...so that did not match. the miracle water image at all. In the small spas... most yes most of the jets do not work and they just say yes that happens... we were there a week nothing was fixed. the service in the bar and restaurant is good at breakfast and very very slow at late lunch or dinner. the bartender guy and the main female waitress both have major attitude. they do not want to serve on the patio although it is set for service as it is challenging to spread everyone in and out for the servers. Room service is very bad as the same people had to leave for that including that mouthy bartender.. The place is run down, unclean everywhere including the forks on the table. The miracle waters donot exist. They are understaffed which may be why they are so mouthy.You are advised not to walk around off property as it is unsafe..as we drove around to try to find a decent restaurant we found it all to be very true. we drove to the next town for meals other than breakfast. Thank you tripadvisor for having this site...we are happy to help others. Forgot to mention heavy drinking and smoking cigars in the pools near the rooms at all hours permitted in their policy. someone took our lawn chairs left our gate open and we had to find them in the morning. Very very noisy. we were there late spring 2012

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, albeit it a pretty bad one. I wish you had called the desk and asked for a room change, but we may have been sold out when you were here. However, maintenance is always just a call away and usually responds within 3 minutes.
As far as the water goes, it is bona fide pure mineral water which we do cool down to different temperatures before pumping into the mineral spring pools. The chlorine content is a State rule. We would love to do without it, because it leads people to believe they’re in just regular swimming pool water, but we must add the minimum chlorine required daily.
Regarding the restaurant & room service, I am forwarding your review to the relevant manager for some remedial action and training.
Thank you again for this constructive review. Be assured it is not going unnoticed and will be acted upon immediately.

217 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Phelan, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

so I have frequented this establishment for a couple months. Yes it is true, it is white trash central. But their have been no problems with other guests or day users. Kids galore which was fine since I have 2 small ones myself. My issues are with the hotel and most of the staff. I have spent close to a grand here in the last month just visiting for a few days at a time. Currently this will be my last stay. When I called and made my original reservation I asked if there were any specials... They didn't offer any. On my third day my children wanted to stay again and I went to the front desk to pay and seen a advertisment stating that pay 2 nights get the 3rd free. When I asked about it the lady behind the desk was brash and short. She stated that you had to ask for it when you called to make your original reservation. What really? I asked if there were any specials. Then she said that you had to get the discount from the internet. So I went back to my room reseached their website and several other websites, none of them had that offer. when I returned she threw away the advertisment and I was told there was nothing they could do......REALLY.
Onto my room. My countertop is cracked, not like a little crack but completely cracked in half. You have to hold down the handle on the toilet the entire time the toilet is flushing, Now the worst of all. My wonderful shower is full of the "body" (to put it nicely) hair, shampoo and body soap from the person above me. I have complained and it just doesn't seem to matter. As far as that saying of you get what you pay for... Well I have paid over $300.00 for these 3 days. So I would expect a little more from the staff than what I have got. So much for being a premium return guest, apparently they don't really want my money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
krystalb, Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2012
In response to your complaints about the amount of money you spent, we
have no promise to honor any rate other than what you signed for at
check in. Most promotions must be made for redemption in the future
and cannot be handed right to you at check out. We are a family spa
with many nice hotel ammenities like complimentary wifi and 24 use of
the pools for hotel guests. I am not sure that the level of
disruption from the day travelers continued on all throughout your
stay.
We do offer promotions and specials on our websites and many travel
sites. You can send us your email and we will include them for future
use. If you would like to come see what we can do for you in light of
your recent experience, we also manage another resort that may be just
the romantic quiet retreat you have been looking for.
Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

This hotel is NOT anything close to a "spa." The rooms are very outdated and old. You know a hotel is old when they give you physical key instead of a key card. The bed was uncomfortable and the towels were no softer than sandpaper and that is not an exageration! They actually hurt to dry off with. There was no iron or ironing board in the room which I expect in any hotel room. Also, the pools are open to the public for a daily fee so I felt like we were at the public swimming pool. Not what I would expect from someplace that calls themselves a "spa." Overall, I horrible hotel. Will NOT stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
We're sorry you didn't appreciate the ambiance of our hotel. We have some of the finest natural mineral springs in the world and, yes, the most reasonable day spa rates in the region. Our spa therapists and technicians are all certified and hand-picked. Most of them also work at far more expensive spas in the desert. Our reviews suggest we're running one of the nicest spas in the desert. I'll ask housekeeping to add more softener when they dry the towels. And yes, no ironing boards...sorry.
The World
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel is:
1. Dirty run down place that is rivaled only by the hourly motel next door.
2. A place where the "healing waters" contain enough chlorine to remove the paint of a freight truck.
3. A sad and desperate place in ultimate disrepair littered and abused to the point of exhaustion.
4. A watering hole for all those inebriated people you see in the TV show "Cops".
5. Overpriced for a motel 6 with a few pools.
or
6. All of the above.

You know you picked the wrong place when the first words out of your wife's mouth in the morning in are "get me out of here". The rooms are scary and smelly. The "sacred healing waters" of this money pit which are open to not only hotel guests but the general public are chalked full of Ricky Lake type action stars soaking up the desert air while they embroil their spouses in domestic disputes. This place is loud, smelly, unclean and literally disgusting. The area is also unsafe and full of undesirable criminals. Definitely not worth it at any price.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less chance of robbery or home invasion by the people next door. Lock your doors...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
We apologize for your unsatisfactory experience. We're a family-owned and operated hotel with a long history of happy regulars and new guests who appreciate the fun, casual atmosphere we provide at very reasonable rates. I am passing the photo of the broken towel fixture on to maintenance for repair.
Twentynine Palms, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

The hotel was not very attractive or updated. The hot springs were hot and had a good selection of pools and temperatures. The price was very good. I would definitely recommend for a day trip. Not sure about staying overnight. Had a wonderful massage for a good price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

Great value for spa visit. Nice they have the option for day visits. Really reasonable pricing. Could us a facelift, but I guess that keeps the prices cheap. Decent food for lunch at the restaurant. Not sure I would stay at the hotel though.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We've been staying here forever, as we just love Desert Hot Springs. But this past visit had me pensive about a return trip. I've given this place plenty of rave reviews over the years, but this last trip was a letdown. Which is a shame, as I'd hate to have to go find another place to stay in DHS.

First night there, the heater/AC did not work at all. You need the fan on to keep outside noises at bay, and since the unit wouldn't turn on, no luck on that. Ended up that the front desk needs to manually throw a switch so you can work it? WTF? They forgot to do so, consequently the ringing phone (or alarm) next door woke me up at six am. That totally sucked, as I had planned on sleeping in for a change. So it goes.

Later on during our second day there, the sink would not drain at all. The maintenance guy came in and said that old fish and other foods were clogging it. Seems that whoever cooked in there, on a hotplate, just washed their crap down the drain, where it got embedded.

Fridge was OK but the plastic shelving was broken, so you couldn't stash much food/drinks in there.

TV remote would only work if you stood in front of the tube. Very much a drag if you want to lie around and not manually switch channels. No channel guide in the room, so we had to call the front desk to find Comedy Central. If the remote had actually worked, we could have channel surfed, but that was not the case.

I asked the night manager if we could borrow the old crappy plastic table on our patio, to do some night skywatching. We had planned on putting our daughter's telescope on it, as opposed to balancing it on the back of our tailgate. He was very hesitant to let us take it off the property. We are spending $150 a night, surely we don't need to steal a ten dollar old plastic table, do we? I did not care for this at all.

People smoke all over the place, which is fine by me, BUT...it's totally gross when there are cigarette butts on the cement, right by the pools. Why can't people put their butts in the trashcan? Super gross, especially when it's next to the laptop pool, where there are plenty of kids.

Young lifeguard did something that was a complete turnoff to me and everyone else who was watching. A cockroach darted by one of the smaller pools, and instead of just letting the insect dash into the flower beds, he repeatedly tried to squash it. It took him three tries, and after he killed it, he left the dead carcass there. A good blast of wind would sail that thing right into one of the pools. Not thinking in the least.

I never thought we'd be thinking of trying a different hotel in DHS, but it seems that the time has come to do so. What a shame.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
carsonparlan, Public Relations Manager at Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2012
This is an especially hard review to respond to, as you have apparently been a very happy
Guest with us for some years now. I am forwarding your review to all responsible department heads, and we will give it serious discussion at our next company meeting. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, as we take all customer feedback very seriously. Hopefully it will help us to improve in the areas you discussed, and it goes without saying that we hope you will return and give us another chance to convert you back into the loyal, regular guest you once were.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Desert Hot Springs
Quiet, Mid-rang...
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
Miracle Springs Resort and Spa
#15 of 27 in Desert Hot Springs
3.5 of 5 stars 499 reviews
Charming, Quiet...
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Water Spa
Aqua Soleil Hotel & Mineral Wate...
#16 of 27 in Desert Hot Springs
Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa
Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa
#12 of 27 in Desert Hot Springs
4.5 of 5 stars 165 reviews

Been to Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!