We've been staying here forever, as we just love Desert Hot Springs. But this past visit had me pensive about a return trip. I've given this place plenty of rave reviews over the years, but this last trip was a letdown. Which is a shame, as I'd hate to have to go find another place to stay in DHS.
First night there, the heater/AC did not work at all. You need the fan on to keep outside noises at bay, and since the unit wouldn't turn on, no luck on that. Ended up that the front desk needs to manually throw a switch so you can work it? WTF? They forgot to do so, consequently the ringing phone (or alarm) next door woke me up at six am. That totally sucked, as I had planned on sleeping in for a change. So it goes.
Later on during our second day there, the sink would not drain at all. The maintenance guy came in and said that old fish and other foods were clogging it. Seems that whoever cooked in there, on a hotplate, just washed their crap down the drain, where it got embedded.
Fridge was OK but the plastic shelving was broken, so you couldn't stash much food/drinks in there.
TV remote would only work if you stood in front of the tube. Very much a drag if you want to lie around and not manually switch channels. No channel guide in the room, so we had to call the front desk to find Comedy Central. If the remote had actually worked, we could have channel surfed, but that was not the case.
I asked the night manager if we could borrow the old crappy plastic table on our patio, to do some night skywatching. We had planned on putting our daughter's telescope on it, as opposed to balancing it on the back of our tailgate. He was very hesitant to let us take it off the property. We are spending $150 a night, surely we don't need to steal a ten dollar old plastic table, do we? I did not care for this at all.
People smoke all over the place, which is fine by me, BUT...it's totally gross when there are cigarette butts on the cement, right by the pools. Why can't people put their butts in the trashcan? Super gross, especially when it's next to the laptop pool, where there are plenty of kids.
Young lifeguard did something that was a complete turnoff to me and everyone else who was watching. A cockroach darted by one of the smaller pools, and instead of just letting the insect dash into the flower beds, he repeatedly tried to squash it. It took him three tries, and after he killed it, he left the dead carcass there. A good blast of wind would sail that thing right into one of the pools. Not thinking in the least.
I never thought we'd be thinking of trying a different hotel in DHS, but it seems that the time has come to do so. What a shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel is famous for its natural hot mineral water! So come for the day and use our eight natural hot mineral pools. A classic example of retro 60s architecture, the Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel features fifty comfortable rooms wrapped around a large courtyard with towering palms and eight shimmering natural hot mineral spring pools open 24 hours. Spa-goers and sun worshipers come from far and wide to partake in the restful and relaxing atmosphere.Spas are nice, but natural mineral spring spas are paradise! We offer the desert’s most extensive and affordable spa therapies and beauty treatments in a fun, casual setting.You’ll also enjoy indoor and outdoor dining at the Sunshine Café, or sip your favorite beverage in the Sports Lounge or poolside while you sun and soak.And the Desert Hot Springs Spa is pet friendly! We also offer room service and wireless Internet for your convenience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Desert Hot Springs Hotel Desert Hot Springs
- Desert Hot Springs Spa Hotel CA