“Magical Grounds, Great Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   67425 Two Bunch Palms Trail, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240   |
Ranked #12 of 27 hotels in Desert Hot Springs
southern california
“Magical Grounds, Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We have been visiting Two Bunch several times a year for nearly 2 decades and were concerned that the new owner would change the things that make Two Bunch different from "every other resort": those things are quiet; space; excellent spa staff and calm!

We spent last week in TBP's Casablanca which has not been renovated, but is spacious and was (as always) comfortable.The estheticians at Two Bunch are wonderful and completely professional; the staff is still reminding "talkers" to be quiet and the koi pond is still beautiful. It is a special place and none of that has been compromised. As for the changes, the restaurant renovation is tasteful and beautiful; the bar looks great and the new Chef (Charly) will make TBP's restaurant "Essence" one of the best in the Palm Springs area. He is truly talented.

If you are looking for a "scene" or a formal resort atmosphere, Two Bunch is not for you. It's a quiet place and is unlike any other resort we have visited. We hope the new owner will continue the renovations with the special nature of Two Bunch in mind. It's a great place to slow down and we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Rianna R, Corporate Director of Brand & Communication at Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 days ago
We are delighted to have Chef Charly on board and we are so excited to feature his new menu. As for the renovations, we are definitely keeping all those points in mind and executing every change with the intention of honoring our waters and tradition. We thank you for being such loyal guests all these years and hope to continue being your home away from home.

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

the 1993 movie, The Player features this getaway. The location is exclusive, the front-gate security is amazing. Most of the clientele comes here to be alone, and relax totally. Its for couples or singles, there is a rule, whispers only, to promote relaxation. The waters are wonderful, and there are many spa treatments, as well as Yoga classes. We loved our 2 days, the restaurant was great, we felt the value was good, even tho we are not part of the Hollywood crowd, we felt exclusive, valued and now relaxed,we will be back next year, in room 17. We saw the wild Road Runner bird, and the water turtles. This is an old resort, portions are being remodeled each season, its NOT the shiny Hilton....thank goodness, it has history, character and class. Its a one of a kind place

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
In experiencing our property, we hope that every guest walks away feeling better than when they came in. Every guest is a VIP to us. Please come back sooner than next year!
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was my first experience in a mud bath, so I am without words really. Thank you to the entire team that made me and my friend Amiee feel welcome and uber special. Spa Director Beverly, thank you for your communication and taking care of setting up this special day of treats! Your team is fabulous.

When we first arrived we were a little lost, but Nina found us wandering around by the enchanting elephant fountain and began painting our faces with green pasty goo so that we blended in with thee other green face guests wandering around the property. I think we upset the front desk lady because we couldn't locate the spa. She was not pleased with us, but only wasted a few moments of her time. I think we were just so excited to get to our treatment that we did not listen to directions. But had we listened, we never would have met up with Miss Nina!

We then made our way to the actual Spa and checked in, changed into our robes to roam around until our mud bath. We found turtles and ducks and sipped ice water while enjoying the view before heading over to our mud bath experience.

We were introduced to our therapists; Amiee was pared with Michael (who is lovely and kind & has been with Two Bunch for 14 years!), and I was partnered with Miss Ginger (really knows her stuff). Amiee and I were escorted to our mud bath cabana overlooking the serene landscape where we undressed and wiggled our way deep into the mud (giggling thee entire time). I'm not sure why I felt like testing Michael, but I did. I asked him to make it rain (thinking there has to be something he cannot do to make it an even better experience, but I was wrong) and he did just that. Michael made it rain. Before we knew it Amiee & I were laying deep in the heated mud bath, overlooking the desert scape, (and clear skies) with mineral water rain pouring down all around us. It was amazing...and Michael was such a great sport!

We then showered off and climbed onto the tables in a separate cabana for our arnica wrap and massage...Oh my goodness...sooooo amazing! When it was complete it was so hard not to yell out "Again, again! Ginger found those knots in my neck. I could feel that she was paying attention to me which was a nice feeling.

Thank you all so much for the lovely experience, and we will definitely return!!!

Also a shout out to Miss Mariela who served us very well in the restaurant. I highly recommend the Cajun salmon caesar. Delish!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Your experience is what we always hope to achieve and we are so happy to hear that. The green clay is a Two Bunch Palms tradition and our spa is recognized for its special brand of healers - Matthew (aka Michael :-)) is our lead therapist and he sets the bar. Nina is our lead aesthetician and has been with Two Bunch for more than 20 years. We hope you will return soon. We love spoiling our repeat guests!
Los Alamitos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

When we first arrived, checking in was pretty easy. They have water with cucumber which was so refreshing since it was very hot. At the front desk they told us this was a quite resort. Don't talk louder then a whisper. At first it sounded weird but that's one of the many reasons this place is so relaxing.

My wife and I stayed in Villa 9. At first impression the room could use an up grade. But we got used to the room and it was not a big deal. The A/C worked fine which was very important since it was super hot.

The fact that the mineral pools are basically open 24 hours was awesome. It was so amazing to get in the pools in the middle of the night. The pools were never crowded. There was plenty of water stations around the pools to keep hydrating

We meant some friendly people which was nice. My wife had a facial and she loved it. From the minute we arrived I was so relaxed. My wife and I will definitely be back.

There is no partying here. This place is for relaxing only. If you really want to get away from the city light and traffic. This is the place to go.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Rianna R, Corporate Director of Brand & Communication at Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
That is good news about your plans to return. By then we hope to have you stay in one of our rooms that have been refreshed. Thank you!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is one of kind place, that is being updated and remodeled, but still a good destination for a relaxed getaway. The staff is very friendly and the massage therapists are first rate. We had a couple massage and the Roman Tub treatment at the end as well as the heavenly Watso.
The grounds, grotto and pond areas are very unique, and the signs asking people to keep a 'whisper voice' and no cell phones or loud conversations are a welcome policy.....this is an adult resort, with an upscale restaurant that served delicious meals. Not all rooms have been upgraded, but still they are very clean and roomy, and of course some are better then others, as we actually upgraded to a nicer room once we got there. It's a wonderful getaway, only a couple of hours from LA.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the center area of the resort away from the road.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Do you know that it takes about the same time for our LA Guests to get here (if they time it right) than it is to drive from Century City to Santa Monica during rush hour? We hope you'll plan another trip in mid-August when the new set of rooms come online. We should also be coming out with a new spa menu of services by fall.
Malibu, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As usual two bunch palms is a paradise for those who want to RELAX. If you want to party, sing and dance, go somewhere else....this is the time to reflect and rejoice. You may be put off at first because signs ask that you keep your voice to a whisper...but once you get into the mineral pool, close your eyes and just float you will find that place where there is no phone, no horns, no loud noises...just peaceful bliss. If bliss is what you are looking for, come here, if not, that is ok too, just choose a different place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for capturing the essence of who we are... we hope you will return soon to share that bliss with others.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

- poor customer service and hospitality
- misinformation and uniformed staff
- grounds infested with cockroaches (by grotto)

Purchased an Amazon deal for two nights at TBP. When I booked the room, they conveniently were 'sold out' of the ones associated with the deal for the nights I wanted (which was a Monday and Tuesday in the off-season so it shouldn't have been crowded), but offered me the option to upgrade for $30 more p/night. Since I only had those particular two nights free for vacation, I purchased the upgrade to a standard grotto room. Seemed fine since most of the reviews on this site said to get a grotto room anyway.

When we checked in, we previewed a couple of the rooms to be certain what we wanted. I'd also read that every room is different and unique so, if possible, check out as many as you can before deciding. None of the standard rooms that we saw (13A and 16A--Tripadvisor reviewer favorites) looked appealing. They seemed small, dated, creepy, and had a weird smell. Because of the reviews I'd read that mentioned cockroaches around the property, I wanted to stay a bit away from the grotto because (call me crazy) it would make sense that that's where they would 'loiter'--by darkness and heat. We settled on suite 16 and opted to pay even more to upgrade hoping for a better space.

I won't bother commenting on the rooms in depth because I know that the property is currently undergoing a massive renovation and was told that all of the rooms were going to be refurbished this month (June/July 2014). However, in short, our room was dated and not cozy or charming at all. There were no rugs (not even area for decoration) in either room which gave it a cold vibe. Pics on the website show much more decoration in the suites. The couch and chair were old beat up leather (not in a cute or vintage way) with no throw blankets or pillows to give a homey vibe or to use while watching TV at night. Our patio's screen door fell off when we opened it and it was filthy. It just felt like the property and individual patios/backyards weren't well maintained. Simply put, not at all worth the $190 that we paid p/night.

Our first night at dinner, we were one of maybe three couples total dining in the restaurant. I liked the aesthetics of the new restaurant and I'd say the food was a 6/7 out of 10. But, they ran out of THREE different major items (the beef dish, one of the three prix fixe restaurant week desserts, and something else that I can't remember). Not uncommon at BUSY restaurants. But, here? When we jokingly complained under our breath, the female server said with levity, "I just work here. Write a review" and proceeded to walk away. That was our first taste of poor service at TBP. It also seemed like it wasn't the first time she'd had complaints with that response.

Oh, and a mouse ran under our table outside.

It was either that dinner server or our breakfast server who kept using the words, "I think so..." when answering our questions about wine or meats or prices. We'd ask specifics and she'd reply with, "I think the meat is grass fed" or, "I think the chicken is $10 extra", etc. Shouldn't they KNOW?!

After dinner, we changed and ventured over to the grotto for a soak. I'd remembered reading one reviewers account of cockroaches surrounding the grotto at night (one of my fears), but tried to forget about it and enjoy myself. His story involved putting a beer down on the side, turning his back on it for moments, then turning back to grab it only to find a roach crawling on it. When my boyfriend put his glass of wine down, I got nervous. We waded for all of thirty seconds then went for the wine and saw A ROACH crawling on it! Gross. We got out of the grotto, grabbed some towels, then proceeded to dry off. Suddenly, I saw a roach crawling on my boyfriend's shoulder. Then, a few little guys around our path when I looked down. We'd had enough and darted for our room (attempting to avoid all the roaches on our path to our room). We even put a towel under the door to seal it so that nothing could crawl in. Needless to say, that put me on edge the whole time.

That theme continued for the next two days once the sun set. Roaches came out at night and by the dozens. I know that they're normal in warmer climates and by water/food. But, if we can see them in such great numbers, that means the place is infested. For me, that's a reason to never go back unless the grounds are bombed. Cockroaches spread disease with their feces.

The spa was lacking. It didn't feel relaxing or tranquil to me. Was just a creepy underground place to get a massage. We both had the side by side mud bath which seemed like a good idea when I booked it. It was my fault for not asking sanitary/hygienic questions about the mud. Once I was in, it dawned on me to inquire about the frequency of the mud getting changed. When I was told only once a week (not in between each person), all of my relaxed muscles post massage tightened up and I felt nauseous. It was hard for the remaining 20 minutes to ignore the fact that I was mud bathing in many other people's skin cells/sweat, naked business, etc. Once in a lifetime.

Side note: I'd asked about the grotto and mentioned that I'd read several times that it was chlorinated. The front desk said, "only once in a blue moon to sterilize." A woman overheard my conversation and chimed in saying that the spa employees told her, "absolutely" re: chlorination. Total misinformed staff giving mixed information.

When we lounged by the "cool pool" during the day, we inquired about food and drink service. Nobody could give us a straight answer about whether or not someone would come around. One person said, "yes, until 3pm someone comes around." We never saw anyone all day, so we asked. Someone else said, "no one does service by the pool." Annoyed, we ended up getting up and going to the restaurant each time we wanted a beer or a snack. Frustrating when you're on vacation trying to relax.

Oh, and did I mention the fact that almost everyone on the staff told us how the grounds are haunted and shared several different guest's terrifying ghost stories when we asked about it? Yep.

It was a bizarro stay/adventure to say the least and only tolerable because I was with my boyfriend and we always have fun together. But, I'll never go back there again. I'll stick with someplace with better hospitality and less/not infested with bugs (or rodents).

Room Tip: I would've liked to have stayed in the rooms above the property (i.e. 7). They looked more charm...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Rianna R, Corporate Director of Brand & Communication at Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We regret that you had this experience and we have been actively reaching out to you. We look forward to speaking with you and resolving this matter.

Been to Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!