“Way overpriced for what you get - needs a major overhaul” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa

You added Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   67425 Two Bunch Palms Trail, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240   |
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Desert Hot Springs
Los Angeles
“Way overpriced for what you get - needs a major overhaul”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I really wanted to like this place. I came here for a much needed last minute getaway, and unfortunately was a bit too hasty in booking this place without doing my usual in depth research. I booked it based on the pictures on their website, the hot springs and the other recent TripAdvisor reviews (although, now that I look closer it seems like all of the glowing reviews have been made by people who have no other reviews to their name - something that is always a red flag for me).

First of all, this place is way overpriced for what you get. Everything is expensive but not because it is intrinsically worth it but rather they need the money coming in to keep the lights on.

This time of year the resorts in the area are dirt cheap because it's so hot. I could have stayed at The Parker, The Viceroy or La Quinta Resort for the same or less than I paid for this place.

The pictures of the rooms on their website looked nothing like the room I got. It had not been updated since the 70s. The room was along the lines of a Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express, maybe even worse. No luxury whatsoever, or even rustic charm, for that matter! Even the coffee setup was Farmer Bros., which only the cheapo motels use! The only things that had been updated were the comforter and the flat screen TV, and honestly, I don't understand what the big deal with flatscreen TVs is. I think the picture quality is awful on most of them, including this one.

I stayed two nights and housekeeping never showed up.

I will give the grounds 5 stars because the setting is beautiful and very peaceful, and I can see how many people overlook all of the not so great qualities of this place for that reason. However, the grotto needs an overhaul too as I felt like an alligator in some rundown zoo with that dated, ugly, blue pool paint all over it. And speaking of the grotto, I was also very disappointed that no one was adhering to the don't talk above a whisper rule. People were talking loudly the whole time and also left their plastic cups all over the place. And none of the employees seemed to care to enforce this rule. Not very relaxing for someone trying to get away from it all!

The "resort" itself has a sad, desperate quality to it. The employees seemed like they either didn't want to be there or were almost apologizing for the way the place was.

I didn't bother eating at the restaurant, as it was as expensive as the top LA restaurants yet looked like the golf course clubhouse at my dad's retirement community in Florida, but I did have an overpriced, mediocre $14 glass of wine there from some winery I'd never heard of. And they know they have you trapped because the town of Desert Hot Springs is a total dump. Your only other options are fast food places, Vons or hole in the wall Mexican restaurants, unless you drive into Palm Springs.

My spa treatment (that I paid almost $200 for) was subpar, especially for how expensive it was. The spa prices are on par with places like the Four Seasons but they're definitely not worth those prices at Two Bunch. The spa itself was a creepy, dark dungeon with cheap slipcovers over the sofas and the showers were like something out of a prison. Granted, their product lines are good, so I'll give them that. However, the product once you get into the room is doled out to the technicians in tiny, plastic ramekins or sample jars, which makes me think management or the owners are super stingy with their product (another cost-cutting method the new owners have employed. After all, they are producers and their job is to cut corners and costs!).

My technician was really nice but not very experienced, which makes me think they don't really have any formal training for their employees to make sure their standards are up to par. The service was something I could have done to myself for much cheaper. The massage was more just like rubbing cream on me and the mini facial was a total joke. There was supposed to be a scalp treatment but I didn't get it. Plus, I was left with mask on my face after the treatment. Luckily I went into the bathroom immediately afterward so I could wash off my face.

It's sad because you can tell this place was probably really amazing at one time, and hopefully someday it'll be again, but until then, I'm going to stay on the other side of the 10.

2 stars for the rooms
5 stars for the grounds (except for the gross, giant cockroaches that come out at night and for the creepy ducks, turtles and fish who are like LA panhandlers, begging for food every time you walk by the pond)
5 stars for Elia who taught the Qigong class
0 stars for the rude guests who refused to be quiet

Room Tip: Make sure to look at the room beforehand. Ask for an updated room (if they even have any).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We came here for my birthday after looking at several other resorts online. I was more than impressed with not only the location and the room but also by the service and most of all the fabulous hot springs in the grotto!!
A bottle of wine was hand delivered to me by the staff in honor of my birthday. I felt that this was a step above and made me feel very special!
I would definitely stay here again! I thoroughly enjoyed the hot springs at night. Staring up at the stars, in the perfect temperature water, with the sounds of waterfalls in the background, made for a perfect evening!

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I was there for a girlfriends' stay over. We had lunch and I recommend the grilled chicken enchiladas. Relaxed in the grotto until my treatment time. Excellent watsu with Matthew. Rooms felt like you were home. Most definitely will return.

• Stayed July 2013
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a fantastic location to be still, rest, restoration, seclusion and digital detoxing. The location is just hidden enough but when you arrive, you feel at home. The serenity is in the air and the waters allow you to sleep soundly. I had the healing earth spa service and it was fantastic! I highly recommend booking this experience. The staff was so genuinely kind and sincere. We enjoyed a glass of wine in the dining room, walked the property, fed the turtles and ducks and learned some history. It is truly a special place.

Room Tip: 415 is great for a girls get-a-way.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I just got back from a two day, solo getaway to Two Bunch Palms. When a yoga retreat I was supposed to go on got canceled last minute I was looking for another place to go for restoration, relaxation and renewal. As a mother of two young kids I wanted a break. My husband has been going to Two Bunch Palms for years and I finally decided to check it out for myself. This place is amazing! It was everything I was looking for. I spent most of my days just floating in the healing waters of the grotto. The setting is just beautiful and feels remote and special. I lazed away a lot of time just sitting in a lounge chair and watching the wind move the trees and listening to the cicadas. I got three spa treatments, all wonderful. A deep tissue massage with Jenny, a cranial sacral with Matthew and a mud bath with Katarina. My room was comfortable and cozy. I was in room 141 which is at the bottom of the property and I loved walking down the dirt path past the duck pond to my room at the end of each day. My only complaint would be the restaurant. The food is very high priced and not necessarily healthy. I would love to see more organic, local and vegetarian options.

All in all this is a unique, gorgeous spot that I can't recommend enough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is simply an extraordinary experience -- an historic place well removed from the noise, traffic and people with focus on relaxation, rejuvination and good food. Service was superb in every way, and the spa treatments were excellent. No cell phone conversations, emphasis on speaking quietly and no smoking in the public areas. I look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are bigger and more modern.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Studio City CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

What more can be said of this "sacred place" except....you must visit sometime in your lifetime...it is that special!! My wife and I have been coming to Two Bunch Palms since 1985 and will continue to make it one of our special destinations. This past weekend we celebrated our 30th Anniversary and would think of no other place to celebrate it except TBP.
For those who have not had the experience of visiting it is a very difficult place to describe. it has its own kind of spiritual energy you feel as soon as you enter the grounds.....all stress seems to disappear and you are at total peace.
We can't say enough about the staff...especially the reception team...Jennifer, Ambrose and Kathy...they make everything about your visit special...thank you. Then we go to the dining room and Rick (who has been a regular for the past 26 years) and one of the most accomplished waiters we have ever known.....he remembers us even if we haven't been back for a year or two.....Kudos to him!!! We also me the new Food and Beverage Manager, Dan, who we feel will be an amazing addition to the management team. Dan totally understands what TBP is all about and already has ideas to help make it that much better.
Two Bunch Palms is unique in every respect and we only hope that others will experience it for the first time and make it a major repeat destination for their lifetime.
We are already planning another trip in October to bring some of our friends for the first time.

Two Bunch Palms....we understand...we appreciate....we respect....and we totally enjoy EVERYTHING you do.......may you live long and thrive!!!

Karen and Michael T

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Two Bunch Palms Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!