“Affordable, Clean, Safe and Very Hospitable Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn

Save Saved
You added Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2211 Girard St., Delano, CA 93215 (Formerly Comfort Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 6 hotels in Delano
Bay Area, CA
“Affordable, Clean, Safe and Very Hospitable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

En route to Sequoia National Park, my boyfriend and I stopped in Delano for the night. The Best Western was full, so our second try was with the Rodeway Inn. Even though it was late at night, the manager was prompt and courteous in booking us a room. The room was spotless and huge. In the morning, the complimentary breakfast was ample. Overall, the stay was quite pleasant, and definitely a bargain considering how cheap it was!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Conesus, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

We're a western New Youk couple that just completed a 25th anniversary/second honeymoon trip in California - 18 days that included 10 different motels. Some were quite expensive and some were quite nice - but this one was top value - inexpensive and totally enjoyable. Our room at the Rodeway was spotless and included all the amenities - as one would expect. Less expected were the neat and clean grounds, the safe and secure feel of the place, and the well-maintained pool (they need one - Delano is hot!). Finally, Sunny, the hotel operator, was as helpful and couteous as can be - he even volunteered to call a place we wanted to visit - he found the number, then gathered and explained to us directions from the motel to the rural outpost we were seeking. a VERY ENJOYABLE VISIT

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Duluth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

Not many choices to choose from in Delano. I am Choice Member, so I'd figure that I could safely stay at this Rodeway Inn, in Delano. Boy was I wrong. This was the filthiest place I've ever stayed at. The person at the counter was rude and had a real bad attitude. The whole place smelled really bad. I tried to cancel, but they charged me anyway, so I ended up staying the night. I guess it was the only way this place made money, by charging unknowing people for the rooms that they never stayed in. I contacted Choice Hotel customer relation to complain and they said each place is independently owned, so there was nothing they could do. They did offer to give me a $25 coupon for stay at other locations, which was a very nice gesture. I respectfully rejected the offer, since my stay left such a bad impression. So if you want to spend $65 to $85 for a night (that's with triple A and whatever discounts for a single. They charge more for additional people) if you don't mind fighting with whatever is crawling around, if you can put up with nothing working in your room' and if moldy stinky smell of rotten carpet doesn't bother you, so you can save $10, then this is the place for you. I should have checked out the reviews before I stayed here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
garden grove
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

I made reservation for 2 nights at this hotel. At check-in, I noticed how filthy everything was, and tried to cancel. The general manager wouldn't let me. He said he would do me a favor by letting me cancel the 2nd night, but must charge me for the first night. I decided to go ahead and stay. As I expected, the room was filty, towels were not clean, and there was a horrible smell.
I went across the street and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and it was a huge difference. I paid an additional $15, but along with that I got breakfast, clean room, fitness center, and an awesome night of sleep.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2008

I have stayed at the Roadway Inn before, one or two times a year for the last five years, this time the rooms (we had 3) were not very clean, carpet dirty, rooms dusty, refrigerator didn't work, towels old and worn-out and the Vending Machine did not work. The rooms cost $89.99 plus tax at 10% total of $98.99.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rocklin, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2007

I come to Delano about once every 3-6 months, and we've always stayed
at the Roadway Inn. It's never been spectacular, but then it's not expected to be, and really all we look for is a comfortable and safe place to sleep.

This time there just seemed to be a lot of small things that bugged me. The drain stopper was missing from the sink, burn marks on the bathtub (how the heck do you burn a bathtub?), the alarm clock didn't
work (luckily I travel with my own) and the drapes hung so low on the window they blew all over when I had the AC on. I finally tucked them up under and on the window ledge.

Even though I had the AC set to "auto", it seemed to be defective and never shut off. When I'd manually shut it off the room would be too hot to stand within 15-20 minutes. Mostly I'd say that's a design
error in insulation (and drapes for the window), and all little
"niggling annoyances" I could -and probably would have- overlooked and forgotten about.

The final straw was when I came back to the room about 4pm, after having a very grueling and long day, and wanted to take a nap. My room (205) was directly over the small pool. I could sleep through playing, splashing, rough-housing...and I never once even heard the freeway noise, even though the motel is right next to the freeway. But there was no way I could sleep through kids SCREAMING, non-stop, for two solid hours!

I was so tired, I kept trying to go back to sleep...but no dice. Finally two hours later I called the front desk to complain. Mind you, the front desk is immediately adjacent to the pool! There's no way they couldn't have heard that too! And I hate to stop someone else's fun, but there was no cause for the screaming. None.

I do credit the fact that they honored my request to NOT have maid service. I travel with expensive computer equipment, and I used to work at the Hilton. Even at an upscale hotel, maids can carelessly leave the room door open and walk away, etc. I now always travel with my own towels, etc. Besides...who wants to use hotel towels???

In travel as the rest of life, you get what you pay for. But all things considered, the rooms aren't worth what's being charged. I can pay $10-15 more and stay at a much nicer hotel, which is what I'll be doing the next time I'm in Delano.

Stayed May 2007
Sacramento, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2005

I had booked this hotel based on a prior visit. The hotel property was sold out maybe due to the fact that I was going to a 50th wedding anniversary in the city. In fact, all the major named hotels were booked solid. On a prior visit, the hotel was maybe half full. Since it was a booked hotel, I was expecting problems. Well, just one.

The door that connects to other rooms is not sound-proofed very well. I can clearly hear my neighbor's conversations and his singing in the shower. =) In addition to that, I can hear the TV. I thought to myself - I could live with this for just one night. I was only there for one night, and fortunately for me, I fell asleep without any problems. For those with problems with noise, you may want to reconsider this property. Because it was sold out, we also had another guest over us. It sounded as if there were kids jumping up and down up there. The building is not very good in terms of soundproofing.

All in all, in relation to what we paid ($55 a night for a govt rate) to what we received in the room (king size bed, large room, table & 2 chairs, TV with so many cable channels, continental breakfast, coffee in the room, frig, iron & ironing board, & great water pressure), the price we paid was an excellent value.

I would maybe stay at this property and request an upper floor (it's only 2 stories) and a room with no connecting doors (if that's even possible).

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!