“A Jewel in Delano....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Delano
Sacramento, California
“A Jewel in Delano....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Ok, if you must stay in Delano.....This is a good choice. For the money, you get a clean comfortabe room with a great bathroom and shower. The TV's need to be upgraded to hanging flat screens to free up some counter space, but the rooms always seemed clean with no oders. The beds and coverings are nice and I slept well. They do have an adequate pool and hot tub outside. They also have breakfast,starting pretty early, powdered eggs and sausage and such. I think I stayed there the better part of three weeks off and on in Aug. and would totally stay again if I had the good (or miss) fortune of being sent to the area to work. The staff was friendly and helpful, and always looked tidy and put-together. Also there is a pizza place accross the parking lot with a quality feeling bar attached to it where I sang kareoke on Wed. nights!!!! You won't leave there feeling dissapointed or neglected. Thumbs up, fo sho.

Room Tip: I like upstairs myself. The cars and work trucks back right up to your window on the first.....
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
N California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I've endured so many cramped breakfast dining areas that this was a real treat. Plenty of space between tables, ample room around the serving area, lots of windows for natural lighting -- and a gas fireplace for ambience! A genuine Kern County hot breakfast complete with biscuits and gravy, eggs, and sausage.

And a quality stay in general. Very clean. Courteous service. Comfortable chair and attractive modern art in room, plus about ten pillows (what's that about?). Quiet except for some minor train noise, not enough to be a problem.
Price seemed a little high for Delano (AAA discount was just a few $$), but it was worth the splurge. Only gripe was the usual blocky building surrounded by asphalt. Could have used a small landscaped courtyard.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

If you're traveling to Delano, this hotel is very clean, new and modern, good breakfast, and pleasant staff. Highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dixon, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I reserved three rooms for two nights so that my family would have a place to stay in Delano while we attended my Mother's funeral. We got to the hotel the day before the funeral. It was very hot (as usual in Delano) and we thought it would be great for our granddaughter to go swimming to cool down and get her mind of the death of her great grandmother. We went to the pool and discovered that the pool water was green, you could not see the bottom of the pool, and bugs were on the surface of the water. My granddaughter obviously did not use the pool and the pool shouldn't have been open (based on State Health Codes) since the bottom of the pool was not visible. The night before the funeral, at 1:30 a.m. we were awakened by noise coming from the room that was next to ours. It was obvious that a party that ended elsewhere had now moved to the room next to ours. My wife notified the front desk of the hotel with her cell phone since the phone in our hotel room did not work. After the noise and partying continued, my wife called a second time to complain. The noise continued so I called the front desk. The noise continued so I got dressed and paid a visit the employee that was working at the front desk. Finally, at about 2:45 p.m. the noise ended. It took my wife and me quite some time to get back to sleep. After the funeral, I met with the hotel manager to express my dissatisfaction (primarily about being kept awake by the party). He did adjust the bill for one of the three rooms. However, he said that hotel staff was limited to what it could do regarding noise and partying that kept other guests awake. He basically felt that the hotel could do no more than to call the offending room and "ask" them to keep the noise down. I told him that the hotel certainly could and should do more than that. It was quiet around our room the last night of our stay, but next to my daughter's room that night there was noise and partying that lasted into the wee hours of the morning despite her calls to hotel staff. If you want to party and keep others awake, this is the hotel for you. If you like to swim in green, murky water, this is the hotel for you. If you actually want a good night's sleep, I suggest the Best Western down the road. Also, keep in mind that the Holiday Inn Express is the most expensive hotel in Delano.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011 via mobile

This tops the chart for the most disgusting swimming pool I have ever seen. There was so much algae and grime you couldn't see one foot into the pool. The pool was green. Ewww. When the manager was questioned about the dirty pool they were defensive and insisted that they had a pool cleaning service. Clearly that's a joke. The night staff also allowed a very loud party to occur in one of the rooms. Surrounding rooms were kept awake until four am. Again, staff did nothing about this. If you should dare to stay here I would advise you bring your own pillow. The pillows here are the most uncomfortable I have ever seen.

• Stayed July 2011
Oceanside, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Do not book a room with these people. All Holiday Inn Express hotels are independently owned and operated. I was led to believe that the SUITE that I booked was a 2 room suite, and found out that it was just one room, and located in the loudest part of the hotel. Right on the highway...like 100 feet from the highway, and then another main freeway right behind that highway. The manager of the hotel would not do anything to accomodate us, and would not even consider moving us to a room at the back of the hotel where it was quiet. Just kept telling us that we booked the room online, and would have to stay where we booked. When we called the main office of Holiday Inn Express, then we were told that since we booked online, then they could not help us. They told us that we could only talk to the hotel manager in Delano. The hotel manager told us that since we booked online, then he could not discuss it with us, and that we would need to call HI express customer service. Ping pong anyone?

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
lankfordGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Delano Hwy 99, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
I want to clarify a few inaccurate statements you've posted about our hotel, you said we are 100 feet away from the freeway when in fact we are 200 yards away with businesses and parking lots in between. Also you made your reservation online through an advanced purchase discounted rate which prohibits you from making any further changes with your reservation. Management did advised you of your purchase and even offered you another room even though you checked in two days prior to your reservation date, you declined the change because it was an inconvenience for your party. Our staff works very hard to service our guests, perhaps the frustration of booking online and not with us affected your impression of the hotel.
We hope to see you in future travels when you can more fully experience our facility.
CALI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

I have to say the rooms are decent, nothing special, the place smells wonderful, the rooms were clean. The outside looks very appealing. The sad part is the pool and hot tub, it was FILTHY, we did get in but boy was I happy to shower, I got in the hot tub one knight only because the lights were not working, the next morning was when I saw how cloudy that water was. My daughters had tons of fun in the pool but as a mother, I knew they would be scrubbed raw after I saw things/bugs floating and also at the bottom of the pool. There was also broken equipment, there was water splashing all over the place, and the water level in the hot tub seemed to be getting lower and lower. If it's summer and you want to enjoy the pool...don't go here!!! Other than that like I said the rooms were pretty nice...the good thing there was a Magoo's Pizza and a liquor store walking distance, and that pizza, chicken, and potato wedges were finger lickin' good!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Our pool today is crystal blue and our spa as well, since I've taken over management we've made a lot of positive changes and have added extra amenities for our guests.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Delano Hwy 99? Share your experiences!