“It's Our Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, California
“It's Our Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

Our 10-Year Anniversary was an absolute treat at the Clarion Del Mar Inn. Reservations went smoothly, very polite and customer oriented individuals who went above and beyong their call of duty with accompanying me with my reservation requests (thank you Katie, Michelle and Pam...YOU LADIES ROCK!!) The front desk crew (David & Cameron) both were equally incredible, polite, friendly, funny and professional in helping my husband and I navigate around the property, get to the nearby landsites, and even the beach and community events. Although, I made reservations for the top floor facing the east (swimming pool/garden), I was so excited to know that we were able to obtain a room which was not only located on the top (3rd floor), but faced the ocean...talk about beautiful...WOW!!!! It doesn't end there, we weren't only blessed with impeccable customer service, private, spacious, and a beautiful room with a spectacular view, but we also received a gift basket compliments of Clarion Del Mar Inn which included many incredible snacks, sweets, chocolates & beverages, beautifully wrapped and accompanied with a personal, hand-written note inscribed "Have a wonderful stay and Happy Anniversary"... be still my beating heart!! We couldn't keep this type of treatment to ourselves, we've told friends and family about our experience, and plan on telling others about our Anniversary Getaway to one of the most beautiful, reasonably priced, comfortable, clean, and friendliest hotels ever. Everybody at Del Mar Inn --heartfelt thanks for such a great time...we were in good hands, and were in such desperate need of this time alone, together!! You're all STARS in our book!!! Keep up the GREAT teamwork :-)

Room Tip: A tip for staying at the Clarion Del Mar Inn is: all rooms are good, any night of the week is especi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Clarion Del Mar Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Dear Bridgette J: Happy belated Anniversary! All I can write is WOW!

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for your ever so kind comments on Tripadvisor. It’s always a great treat to read such praise for our staff & accommodations; our staff members take pride in achieving these types of comments & work ever so hard for each & every guest visiting our boutique hotel located in the Sea Side Village of Del Mar.

We sincerely hope you visit again before, during or after your anniversary.
Clarion Del Mar Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed at the Clarion Del Mar Inn for the first time last week and loved it so much I thought I should write my first ever review on Trip Advisor. My room was an Ocean View room with a balcony - very comfortable. The bed and bedding was so nice that I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning. The location is great too! 10-15 minutes from downtown San Diego. The staff was pleasant and helpful. It is a very majestic location and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Clarion Del Mar Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2012
Dear SuzeeD: Thank you for your thoughtful comments on tripadvisor. Our Sea Side Village Location Hotel offers those wishing for the ultimate BLUE WATER & human comforts only found in our location. Our beds made with only top quality in mind for our visitors.

Keep an eye out for manager specials as we’re constantly making improvements to better our facility for guests and visitors alike.

We look forward to you visiting The Clarion Del Mar Inn Hotel again at your earliest opportunity.
Culver City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

I spend 1 night at the Clarion Del Mar - and have no compliants. The rooms were comfortable, clean and priced well. The receptionists were friendly and helpful. The hotel was quiet. My room faced the pool - and above that is Camino Del Mar - but I heard very little noise from the road. The hotel is not right in the center of town - but midway between the town of Del Mar and Torrey Pines State Reserve (which was on my list to visit). I did not take advantage of the continental breakfast - but instead drove to the Torrey Pines Lodge for breakfast in The Grill - adjacent to the golf course.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Clarion Del Mar Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Dear CareThere: Thank you for your generous comments on TripAdvisor. By reading your comments, it seems you were interested in visiting one of the greatest golf courses in the world – Torrey Pones Golf Course!
We’re only minutes away from the course, so, the thought of you wanting to visit & enjoy one of the local eateries is understood.
If Golfing is on your plate of items to do, you’re staying at the perfect hotel; The Clarion Del Mar Inn.
Hope to have you visit again into the future.
Clarion Del Mar Inn

PS: It’s nice to know we’re in good company with Spain, Portugal & Costa Rica. My son has visited also, says they’re also incredible to visit.
prague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This Clarion has above all excellent customer service and is good value for a place which is within 15mins of San Diego's main attractions. It's a mock tudor property which still has a few of the original touches, otherwise it's what you'd expect for this price range. Rooms at the back have an ocean view, you're close enough to hear the waves...and the occassional train hooting it's siren on the way past. Breakfast is nice, plenty of choice and the lady will make you a smoothie if you'd like, just ask!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

The Del Mar Inn is now a Clarion property. It is nestled along the main street, walking distance from the main strip of restaurants and shops. Free parking in the back of the property. Do not expect to be on the water, this hotel is a few blocks in land.

The Inn is an older hotel, and it shows. Like many older hotels, it's a little darker, with older fixtures. The staff is very friendly, and accommodating. I came here for a wedding which started at the exact time of check-in. They switched me to another room so I had time to get ready.

The room I got was clean enough. For the price (which was the government rate), it was plenty fine. However, I think if I had to pay the full/AAA/best price, which were all >$100, I think I would have been a little less forgiving for this property.

Look at the pics, and you'll see what the rooms are all about. The water pressure was very weak. There was a mini fridge in the room with nothing in it, which was perfect for all of my Farmers Market goodies.

Location wise, it's was fine. There is a Saturday Farmers Market that sold produce and a few food stands.

I'm not sure if I would stay here again. Again, I put everything into context. It was adequate for the price I paid, but I would not stay here if I had to pay more.

Room Tip: From the prior reviews, I believe you should ask for a top floor ocean view. I had a pool view, whic...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Clarion Del Mar Inn, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
Dear AlwaysbeTraveling: Thank you for your TripAdvisor Comments; they’re greatly appreciated – particularly by a senior traveler like yourself! You comment on what we’re doing right, wrong, and how to improve ourselves. Water pressure has been corrected via new moen shower fixtures.

Your kind comments regarding our local Famers Market is appreciated as they’re local farmers who want to offer their best goods & services possible. With the holiday season in full swing, I sincerely hope you and your family will always be traveling safely & securely.

Happy Holidays!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Four of our families decided to all meet at this hotel for a reunion. It was a wonderful choice. Each family had their own space when they needed it. The place is spotless both in the rooms and on the grounds. It is perfectly located. Far enough away to be quiet, yet the beach and restaurants and stores are a short walk away. The staff is very professional, but not in your face: rather, there when you need them.

Also, it is conveniently located if you want to do things in the greater San Diego area. It is so nice to have a clean, quiet hotel to return to after a hectic day with easy parking and a hot pool in which to relax. It was perfect, and we travel a lot.

Room Tip: If you want a kitchenette, you have to ask for the pots and pans. We did not use ours as the restau...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Clarion Del Mar Inn, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear Jim R: Thank you for your kind review; sharing your experiences with so many on TripAdvisor while visiting our lovely hotel in the Sea Side Village of Del Mar.

So much to see and do; all in one place, it’s extraordinary!

Very happy to read you and your family members had such a successful event while visiting and reconnecting, we’re honored to assist when necessary and be a part of such fond memories. Hoping you had an opportunity to use our library for visiting or even the outside veranda at the Garden Room during our Beautiful Sunny Southern California Weather.

All and all, Thank you choosing The Clarion Del Mar Inn for your Family Reunion. Hope to have you visit again in the near future.
San Bruno, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Some background: I'm a business traveler and am on the road about every-other week. I preferred (past tense) Choice Hotels because they typically are clean, comfortable and convenient. I've stayed 35 nights in Comfort Inn/Suites and Clarions this year.

I've stayed at this hotel probably ten nights in 2011. Unfortunately i made a reservation using the advanced booking in order to stay within company expense policy. Also unfortunately the boss asked me to cancel my trip and stay in the office to work on budget formulation.

In spite of the nights at this property, and in spite of my status (Diamond) at Choice Hotels they would not let me out of the rooms even with 5 days notice. Even though I wasn't asking to cancel, but to change to two weeks later. keep the money, just let me move my stay. No such luck with the general manager and Choice Privileges wouldn't step in, either.
In my opinion I'm going to trade with partners that provide seamless customer service. I don't want to battle for amenities or loyalty rewards. I almost forgot to mention that since i didn't show they didn't award me my loyalty points. I see: charge me $215 for a room i didn't use and then not give me the points associated with the dollars spent???
Me and my money are going elsewhere.
BTW, the decor is terribly dated. They gave me a room under construction with workers' tools still in there and there's a dankness to some of the rooms.
Proximity to the beach and restaurants is the only upside.
Ken Laszczak

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
silversurfer-delmar, Manager at Clarion Del Mar Inn, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
Dear lkenlaz: Thank you for your TripAdvisor Comments. Comments like yours inform us what we’re doing right, wrong and how to improve ourselves to better service our guests.

As a seasoned veteran traveler, I’m confident you’re aware of restricted discounts via Airlines, Vehicle Rentals Agencies and Hotel Chains.

In this instance, like so many other guests taking advantage of our advance purchase rate, was the circumstances. This is very similar to On Line Travel Agencies, Coupon Programs, Advance Purchase Programs/Discounts etc. with restrictions “including no changes, modifications or transfers which could not be allowed per hotel policy”.

This is very similar to other Hotel Chains with deep discounted rates & programs with no alterations, modifications or transfers. In this instance, this was exactly the case, no changes were allowed.
I believe one of my Managers on Duty explained this matter to you as did a representative from Choice Hotels International via telephone.

I sincerely hope you offer us another opportunity to have you visit as we’re confident prior to this event you were satisfied with our services as a Diamond award status member.

Looking forward to serving you again while visiting The Beautiful Sea Side Village of Del Mar/La Jolla.
Clarion Del Mar Inn

Been to Clarion Del Mar Inn? Share your experiences!