“Loved this property!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

You added Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   710 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014 (Formerly Stratford Inn of Del Mar)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
“Loved this property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I found this little hotel on Hotels.com, and after reading some of the TA reviews was a little concerned. My Wed night stay was $190 on Hotels.com, which was just a tad lower than other places in the vicinity, and since it was just one night I decided to take a the risk and book it. I'm so glad I did. Upon check in I was greeted by a very friendly front desk person, who answered all my questions with no attitude at all. ( IE Am I walking distance to restaurants? Closest coffee shop? Internet? etc etc) One of the perks of this hotel is that PARKING IS FREE! Very rarely do I find a hotel in such an area where parking is free and where it's so easy to find a spot, it was so lovey and convenient. Next, upon arriving in the very spacious room, I find all the bath products are Aveda...bonus! I also notice that there is a Keurig coffee maker with local coffees,a fridge and a microwave in the room. Lastly, the internet is also free-which is SUCH a relief. Having complimentary parking/coffee/internet saved me at least $30 or more.

There are so many places to eat, shop and drink walking distance from this hotel, along with being just a few blocks from the beach. There's lovely little fire pits near the pool deck with couches, so if you come with friends you can relax at the hotel with a btl of wine. The breakfast was good, nothing very creative, but still hit the spot, and about $13 for an entree. My server was FANTASTIC. He was so friendly, brought me a to go cup for my coffee, and even filled up my Nalgene water bottle for me, which prevented me having to stop and spend money at a gas station. So many perks, I'll be back!

Room Tip: I had a corner room on the 2nd floor, it was very quiet. Even though I was a single person staying...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed at this property when it was a Best Western so I knew the location and room size. I realized it was purchased and remodeled which I was happy about so I went to Expedia to book a room. I saw an ocean view king and booked it. It was almost $400 a night so I expected a view. What we got was a view of the hotel parking lot, an old apartment building and a sliver of ocean beyond its rooftop. I complained and was told the hotel was booked but that the manager would offer us a $40 breakfast voucher per night and that I needed to contact Expedia. I contacted Expedia and after three calls I learned that there was nothing they could do except give me a $25 courteousy credit.

We accepted the vouchers and used the first one without event. The second day the restaurant was closed for breakfast because the cook didn't show up. We were told to use them for lunch or dinner so we had to rearrange our schedule or loose the credit. The third day it took over 30 minutes to receive our order and the restaurant was empty. The manager contacted me directly the evening before we were leaving and said since it was our anniversary is there anything else he could do. I told him a bottle of champagne would be nice. He sent up a bottle, albeit the cheapest one on the menu. I don't think there was anything else he could have done except perhaps a better bottle of champagne. His hands we tied, but the company was definitely misrepresenting the ocean view!!

The rooms were nicely furnished although a coffee table would have been nice. The kitchen was poorly equipt. Plastic silverware and paper plates Two water glasses and no wine glasses. A little tacky for a "boutique hotel" Also the pool towels were small and worn out.

Definitely a disappointment!!!

Room Tip: The manager said the rooms on the South side have a better ocean view,but I didn't see them so I...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Man Lai T, Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback about our property. I apologize for the booking challenges you experienced with Expedia and I am very sorry to hear that the room was not what you expected. During the summer we do sell out rather quickly and do not always have all room types available for booking.

I am also embarrassed to hear that your experience with our restaurant was not a good one and I will definitely speak to my team about it. Thank you for sharing these challenges with our management team when you on property and once again, I apologize that your experience with us was disappointing. I do hope that you were still able to enjoy your anniversary and we hope that you will consider giving us another chance in the future.

Best regards,
Woodland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

...with the room, at least the one I spent the night in. While equipped with all the amenities, the space afforded in the room was very compact. Still, the night was pleasantly passed with a comfortable bed and pillow, and enough peace and quiet to feel well rested the next day. Pricy for what you get, but convenient to a nice nightlife just up the road.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Man Lai T, Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with other TripAdvisor readers. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed a good night sleep during your stay. I apologize that the room wasn't as large as you expected. We do have quite a few suites on property if you are looking for a bigger space during your next visit.

Best Wishes,
Ghent, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Location of the hotel is convenient, the area is good, nice building with large rooms, pleasant pool and well appointed public areas. So far the good news. I am a fan of IHG and used my points to book.

The hotel is dirty. When walking barefoot on the wooden floor, you can feel the dirt. The hotel accepts dogs and it seems this is a unique selling point for the hotel as half the guests bring dogs. Although there are signs that dogs can't sit on the furniture, staff doesn't care.

We booked 2 rooms and requested connecting rooms since our kids are still very young. Upon reservation, the hotel couldn't confirm since it was high season. Fair enough... We called the hotel the day prior to arrival and they still couldn't confirm. When we got there, they gave us the choice between 2 standard rooms close to each other or a standard room connecting to an executive room at an extra 40 USD per night. We weren't left with a choice so we accepted. However, the only "executive" part of the room was a small kitchenette we had no intention to use. No parlor, no extra amenities, no filled minibar, no safe.... But what really upset me was the fact that I found out the hotel doesn't even have connecting standard rooms! I told the front desk I felt ripped of but they couldn't care less.

We were there for 2 nights and on the 1st morning the breakfast area was closed for some private event. We could luckily sit outside and get the last table in the shade, but other guests had to sit in the sun and were obviously unhappy.

In general, uncaring service except during the evenings in the bar. The people that served us were friendly and entertaining, especially the young man who had just started in his new job and came from the Yosemite region (I forgot his name).

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Man Lai T, Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for sharing your concerns about your stay at our property. We take cleanliness very seriously and I will speak to our team about the cleanliness of our floors as well as being stricter with our animal furniture policy. I am very sorry to hear about the miscommunication in regards to our connecting rooms and that we did not explain from the beginning that all connecting rooms include one standard and one upgraded executive room.
Please be confident that this poor experience is not our norm and that your comments will be shared and addressed with my entire staff. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I do hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

El Paso, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Stayed here for a night. Paid almost $200. It had a far away ocean view with buildings and electrical wires in between and we didn't have a view from our room. The layout was vey awkward from our room. A lot of steps to get to and from our room which made getting luggage to it difficult. If they ask you " do you have a lot of luggage" say YES. I guess us saying no meant they were free to give us the crappy location. No breakfast included. I can say the room was very clean. Had wood type floors and everything was very modern. They didn't have double beds available for us and no roll away beds so my son had to sleep on the floor and was sore the next day. I guess for the price I was expecting a little bit more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room location without stairs because some are steep and make it a pain to get luggage to.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your feedback and concerns with us. We are sorry to hear that you and your family were not happy with your room and that the stairs made getting luggage inside a challenge. It sounds like the type of room that you wanted was not available during your stay; during the summer our most popular room types with an ocean view do sell out rather quickly and far in advance. At the end of the day, I truly apologize for not delivering a memorable experience during your stay with us. I hope you will give us another chance in the future and if you are able to book your room with us directly, we'd be happy to help.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed 2 nights in a King Leisure Room for a rate of $200's the first night and we used IHG points the second night. From the start, they were very accommodating about this because in order to use points for one night you had to make two separate bookings, one for the night you were paying cash and one for the points redemption night. Barbara at the front desk did very well to make sure we wouldn't have to move rooms or check out and check in each night.
A second plus about our check-in was that we arrived really early at 11:30 am for a massage and even though the room wasn't ready yet, they were able to accommodate us by 1:00 pm. Much appreciated.

Positives
- Check-in - See above.
- Lots of Services - Except for the absence of a bellhop and valet staff, the hotel has many services including a full bar, restaurant, room service and a full service spa.
- Location - Even though it's not oceanfront, it is a 3-5 minute drive to Downtown Del Mar and a 3-5 minute drive down the hill to Torrey Pines Beach. And you could still see the ocean from parts of the hotel.
- Rooms - Spacious and decorated with the Hotel Indigo trademark picture wall. The room had wifi, refrigerator, microwave and the spa style shower.
- Two Pools Plus a Jacuzzi.
- No Parking Fee.

Issues For Us But May Not Be For Others:
- Confusing Second Building - The second building is jaggedly configured and does not have continuous walkways on the second floor. So part of the experience is figuring out the best way to get to and from your room without reaching a dead end. This was frustrating sometimes.
- Noise - As noted in other reviews, because the main walkways on the second floors are wooden, all foot traffic can be heard. The laundry carts are the most noisy. The main building is more noisy for the carts because the walkways are straight versus building 2 where the walkways are jagged or criss crossed which forces the carts to slow down and stop to travel those corners.
- The Spa Location - Spa Namara is located on the first floor of the main building. During my wife's massage she observed that the cart and foot traffic noise could be heard in the massage room.
- Spa Payment - The Spa Therapist also acts as the receptionist. Also, during payment, the system automatically inputs a 20% gratuity. This only way to change your tip amount is to tell the therapist to manually change it, which I could imagine would make it awkward if you wanted to decrease the tip (which we didn't do because the massage was great).
- Windows of Building 2 - The main building doesn't have this issue, but since the walkways of Building 2 were on the outside of the building, our windows were also overlooking the walkways, so we could see people passing by and they could see us if we had our blinds open.
- Anaphylactic Shock - I have never had an allergic reaction in my entire life until this stay. After check in we didn't really stay much in the room except for getting ready for dinner. I recall feeling a bit itchy and scratching while preparing for dinner but I thought it was just from dry skin from taking a shower. When we got back from dinner, however, within 15 minutes of lying on the bed I started to develop hives all over my upper body and under my shorts. I started swelling on my face and eventually vomited my once delicious dinner. 5 hours and an Emergency Room visit later, we were back in our room. I was stabilized with meds and exhausted. The next morning we told Barbara at the front desk about the issue and she was very concerned and tried to fix things. She immediately had the room treated with an air purifier machine and had our sheets changed. So second night was better, but I still had the hives and was managing it with Benadryl. At first we were hesitant to assign root cause to the room, however, upon leaving the hotel and arriving at the airport all hives and markings on my skin were gone (only 3 hours after leaving the hotel). Therefore we deduced that it was the room. I emailed the GM who was very concerned and receptive to reading my experience and my recommendations. He also gave me information on how the rooms are cleaned.

Other Tips
- The second building is two stories, but on the elevator it calls the second floor the fourth floor.
- Remember, this hotel is not oceanfront, so even though our room was not an ocean view room, based ocean views of the restaurant and main viewing areas, all the ocean views overlook a few blocks of neighborhood.

So, I think this is a good hotel with many positives, thus the extra star instead of 1. Unfortunately, we won't be staying here again because of the main allergy issue we experienced.

Stayed June 2014
Man Lai T, Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback with other Trip Advisor readers.
First and foremost we want to make sure that you are feeling better and have not had any more challenges with allergies. We are sorry to hear that you spent part of your vacation in the emergency room and as you discussed with our General Manager, we do take the cleanliness of our rooms very seriously. Since we are pet friendly, there are extra steps taken to clean a room if a pet has stayed. The only chemicals we use to clean the rooms each day are: deodorizer, window cleaners, all-purpose cleaners, bathroom anti-bacterial cleaners, lemonize for shower walls and floor cleaners. All chemicals are from Ecolab and approved for daily use.
Thank you for complimenting our front desk associate Barbara, we are happy that she was able to assist you with a smooth booking process and that you were able to have a treatment at our beautiful spa. I do apologize for any noise that your wife may have experienced during her spa treatment and we are happy that her therapist provided an excellent and relaxing service.
Once again, we apologize for the unfortunate events that occurred during and your stay and we do hope that one of our properties we will be able to serve you better in the future.

Best regards,
Sales and Spa Manager
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We didn't stay at the hotel. My friend purchased a voucher for the restaurant, so we decided to give it a try. The voucher was for 2 appetizers, 4 entrees and 4 desserts and 4 drinks. We opted for the fried calamari and crab cakes - the calamari was not fresh and fried to crispy - it wasn't very good. The crab cakes were good though. The entrees finally came out and the burgers that the guys had were mediocre, the flat iron steak I had was delicious but the fish tacos that my friend ordered were terrible - the fish was rubbery. So - find another place to eat! The service was okay - we gave them the voucher and they charged us for everything anyway. My husband had to talk to the manager to get it fixed.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Man Lai T, Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please accept my sincerest apology for not delivering the quality of service and food that you and your friends expected.
Our restaurant team strives to provide excellent food and service for each and every guest so we do hope that you will return and give us another try. I am also sorry to hear that your voucher was not redeemed right away, I do hope that the manager on duty was able to resolve the situation. We do apologize for not delivering a memorable experience during your visit. Please contact me directly at kwillingham@pacificahost.com.

Sales Manager

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!