“Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

You added Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   710 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014 (Formerly Stratford Inn of Del Mar)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
San Diego, California
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Really cute hotel in Del Mar! Had no idea it was there, friendly staff, great pools, common areas are clean and pretty and just walking distance to the beautiful Del Mar bluffs! The room was basic, nothing special, but I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ann r
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our location, service and the beautiful outdoor pool. We are definitely a hidden gem in Del Mar. Thank you so much for finding us and please make us your choice hotel every time you are in town.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Great location for walking to the beach and restaurants and only a few miles to the Del Mar horse races. The outside seating was great for an evening under the stars with a glass of wine with your feet up on the fire ring.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NxNWgirl
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our location and the great outdoor space in our Ocean View Bar and Grill. We truly appreciate your comments. Please come back and visit us soon.
Cedar Falls, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We capped off our family SoCal vacation with a night at the Indigo and we were very pleased with the results. After spending an excruciating 1.5 hours on the phone with the IHG "help desk" trying to book reward nights, I called the hotel in a desperate attempt to reach someone capable of doing their job. I spoke directly with the hotel manager Arnon, who was very pleasant and went out of his way to accommodate us. We arrived at the hotel and again were greeted by Arnon, who upgraded our rooms and spent time discussing our options for our dinner, which needed to include an impromptu birthday celebration for our niece. We stayed in for dinner that night and were very satisfied with the food quality and the service of the hotel restaurant. Our server Bruce went out of his way to organize a "dessert buffet" for the 9 of us and even treated the 4 kids to cups of hot chocolate while we sat around one of the patio fire pits. Bruce's professionalism and family approach was something we'll never forget.

We also had breakfast on site the next morning and the food was delicious.

Our rooms were all well equipped, good size, clean and quiet. My only complaint is that the window screens only open a couple of inches (a 2nd floor safety concern I assume?) so it's tough to get a feel for the ocean air.

I don't know when we'll make it back to Del Mar, but when we do, we'll surely stay for a night at the Indigo.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve M
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you and your family was able to top off your trip with us during your last day of visit in San Diego. I can’t agree with you more on how blessed we are to have Arnon, Bruce and the rest of the team to work side by side with each and every day. We appreciate the opportunity to be part of your family celebration. We look forward to serving all of you again in the very near future.
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

It is a very nice hotel in the race track area, with up to date bathrooms. Nice setting. The terraze area with modern chiminies. Nice bar and restaurant. The rooms are very nice, but the internet is simply not working. Even when I call the support desk, could not have it working. Worked in intervals. Also no accesible AC outlets, they have to work on that.
Locarion great if you are going to the racetrack.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ETame
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our service, spacious rooms, beautiful location, good local food and great bar. I am sorry to hear the internet did not work properly during your stay. We have that corrected and it is also an ongoing project to upgrade our bandwidth to provide more efficient speed for all of our users. I hope you had a fabulous time at the tracks. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Let me caveat this by saying I can sort of (although barely) understand why the Indigo averages 4 stars. We were reminded of this at breakfast one day when a family from Wisconsin was checking out and gushing to the staff about their stay. We came down for a weekend from L.A., so I'm sure we had different expectations. So I'm going to break this review into 2 parts. One objectively, if I was from most parts of the country where you don't see the ocean almost every day, and then just from a typical hotel perspective ...

The jaded "we're from LA" part (2-3 stars for us, probably 3-4 stars for others):
We booked an ocean view room. The room itself was fairly nice - large, like a good sized apartment studio. Private balcony. Fairly quiet. As for "ocean view" ... Well, from the balcony, you could see at least part of the ocean, although in my experience (and especially paying almost $400/nt), you'd think it would be a little more than that. Having said that, I'd still recommend booking one of the 400 level rooms ... I don't know what the hotel was before they renovated it (studio apartment complex?), but it's kind of a funky layout. The ground floor rooms look like they'd be very dark and get a lot of noise.

The "was it just us that had a not so great experience" part (1 star):
First night we wanted to go to the pool/hot tub. The pool area was completely dark at 9p even though the hours were listed as open until 10p. We called the front desk and they said there were "lighting problems" they we're trying to fix but we could still use it. No problem, we didn't mind ... Except apparently there had been a large group down there earlier and there were still dirty pool towels, beer cans and cigarette butts scattered by the hot tub. Kind of nasty. My thing is ... Either close the pool early because there's no lighting, or at least leave a blast message to guests letting them know about the lighting situation. And if it's going to stay open, clean it regularly.

Next morning we went down for breakfast/brunch. I will say that the restaurant is one of the nicer rooms - open, light, actual ocean view ... We arrived a little before 11am, which is when they stop serving, so maybe that's an excuse ... Our order was taken, but we got no silverware or napkins (even when our food was put in front of us) - I finally went over to the kitchen and got some. They also got my gf's order wrong.

We went to the pool later in the day. No pool towels available so I asked the front desk if they could send some over. When they were dropped off, they were literally the size of hand towels and half of them had yellow stains! I went back to the front desk with the towels. They apologized and had some new towels (same size but at least clean) sent over.

That evening after coming back from dinner, we noticed that the pool lights still weren't working. We decided not to try it.

Another slight annoyance - the WiFi was spotty in our room.

After reading back through this review, I'm realizing it sounds like maybe we're some kind of travel snobs (which we're not). I know that we're staying near a beach in early August, so paying $400 on a Sat night and $250 on a Sunday night is probably standard for "nicer" hotel. I just think the Indigo should bring some of its services up to par. Will definitely consider other locations next time in Del Mar.

To be fair, the pros of our stay at the Indigo: easy walking distance to town, fairly easy to get to the beach (Del Mar has bluffs so unless you're at one of he main beach access streets, you hike down the bluffs, but you're only 5-10 mins from the beach at the hotel). They do allow pets as well if you're so inclined ...

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank glbtrttr
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor readers. Please accept my sincerely apology for not delivering the level of service you should expect from Hotel Indigo Del Mar. I appreciate all of your feedback and will definitely share them with my team to ensure improvement in all areas you have mentioned. I hope you can give us another chance to show you we are worthy of the 4 star rating. Please contact me directly next time you are in town and I will personally make sure you will receive the level of experience and product of an upscale boutique hotel. Thank you again for your feedback.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

On Target - ocean view balcony rooms are the best choice (even though not the most expensive rooms) / fast included internet / great staff / location is excellent for a quality stay at Del Mar (Downtown within a short walking distance) / Breakfast was OK (highly recommend the breakfast at Lebaurge)
Misses - parking was awkward (might have been due to the race track opening week) / business center was well hidden, with no signage to help find it, not mentioned on the hotel map or building map (after three tries needed and employee to walk with me and find it)
Overall - we had friends in town same week that stayed at the 5 star much more expensive Lebaurge hotel and felt our stay at the Indigo was a better value. (except for the breakfast) We look forward to returning next year and staying at the Indigo Hotel.

Room Tip: room with balcony only please....
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dennisdw
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your great experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, deco and great location. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you during your recent stay. We are honored to be compared to and be selected above the five stars L'auberge. We appreciate all of your feedback and will continue to improve. We look forward to serving you again. Thank you!
Frisco, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Nice older property, but nicely refurbished. We had a nice room, clean and bright. The outside areas had nice landscaping and flowering plants. The common areas were nice and clean. Parking was outside and underground. Close to the state park and state beach. Nice and friendly staff. Recommended

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alikarim
Thank you for sharing your great experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, deco and great location. I can’t agree with you more on how lovely Del Mar is and how beautiful the weather remains all year round. We truly appreciate the opportunity to serve you during your last stay. Please come and visit us again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Del Mar
La Valencia Hotel
La Valencia Hotel
#3 of 24 in La Jolla
4.5 of 5 stars 987 reviews

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!