“Both a launching pad for N. San Diego fun, and a deluxe getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

You added Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   710 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014 (Formerly Stratford Inn of Del Mar)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Providence, Rhode Island, USA
“Both a launching pad for N. San Diego fun, and a deluxe getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Having lived in San Diego for almost 10 years before moving East, I knew Del Mar would be the right spot for a nostalgic long weekend return. The Indigo is a few block's walk from the boutiques and fine dining at the village of Del Mar, and just across the street from the cliff-side train tracks above the beach. With a rented surfboard, I was able to pick my way down the (dangerously steep and slippery) cliff trail to a semi-secret surf spot. For a safer walk, you could try the excellent beaches at Powerhouse Park or North Torrey Pines, both less than a mile away. The horse-race track/ fairgrounds are just two miles north. From Del Mar, you are just a few freeway exits from the beaches of Encinitas or La Jolla.

At the same time, this hotel has a vibe so comfortable you may not want to leave. Our upgraded suite had a cooktop and mini-kitchen. Bright but tasteful custom decorations are everywhere. The pool and hot tub are well-situated for sunbathing, and there are chairs and side tables scattered around for hanging out. A local musician holds concerts at the bar a few nights a week. The room service food was prompt and tasty.

The only drawback to the casual hangout feel was the group of young men chatting loudly around the pool at 2AM. Not being a night owl myself, I had to ask them to quiet down-- but they got quiet right away and I didn't have to call the front desk.

As a bonus, I was able to use my Holiday Inn Express Priority Club Rewards points to book the room. The Hotel Indigo is my new first choice for a North San Diego County stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you had thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful service, our spacious rooms, the great bar good local food at our Ocean View Bar and Grill and our beautiful location just minutes away from the ocean and Del Mar Village. I am so glad you made us your first choice during your visit to the West Coast. Welcome home!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here about 3 months ago and apart from the Spa, generally enjoyed our time. The reason for our stay was sunbathing and to use the spa for a massage.
The rooms were ok, as I didn't expect to much luxury as I'd read previous reviews in Trip advisor. The bathroom was the main issue with the room, it was tiny. We did managed to get a good nights sleep in our room(407) and it was clean. It was overlooking one of the pools away from the main building.
Service at the Hotel was fine, though I would recommend some drink service at the pool, or at the very least, a water cooler. Its pretty poor that you're expected to climb the stairs up to the bar to order a drink when your using the main pool area.
There is a nice firepit deck that will be good in the summer time for a drink at night.
We used the Spa and were not impressed. We had a couples massage and had to put up with loud guests outside our massage room and a waste pipe that ran above it. You could hear it every few minutes as someone flushed their toilet. We let the girl at the Spa front desk know we weren't impressed and she thanked us for the feedback. No offer of a discount or voucher to make up for the experience?
We had breakfast and lunch in their restaurant which were both very good. I would stay again but would stay clear of the Spa. I emailed the hotel to forward some constructive feedback to Spanama, but never got a reply.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing the nice vacation you had at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with all the Trip Advisor readers. We are glad to hear you and your wife enjoyed our room, restaurant, pool and the walking distance location to shops, restaurants and beach. I apologize for noise concern during your couple’s massage. We are fully aware of this challenge and efforts to remedy this situation are in the works. We are close to finding a solution to this challenge and hopefully by your next visit we will have this situation resolved. Please reach out to my Spa Director Laurel at 858 356 0307, she will make sure you are well taken care of. Your feedback is well received. We look forward to serving you and your wife in the very near future.
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We spent 4 days there with a group of 25 for a family vacation. Great location, beautiful rooms and grounds. Food selection a bit poor and served at different times. Walking distance to some good eats and drinks. Beach is just a drive away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing the fantastic vacation you had at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with all the Trip Advisor readers. We are glad to hear you and your party enjoyed our beautiful spacious rooms and the walking distance location to shops, restaurants and beach. Sounds like you and your party did not get to experience the full extent of our menu offering due to the multiple buy-out events we were hosting in our restaurant during your stay. I apologize for the inconvenience but am glad to know you and your party was able to enjoy the array of restaurants located in Del Mar Village. Thank you again for sharing your comments. Please come visit us again in the very near future.
Saint Croix Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My friends and I traveled 32 hours from Wisconsin to stay at the hotel Indigo in Del Mar for a beach vacation. The hotel over exceeded our expectations in every manner. Arnon at the front desk was very helpful and thorough in answering all and any of the million questions we had. The room was gorgeous and well kept up. The pools and hot tub were perfect. Jason served us breakfast a couple days and he was amazing; certainly one of the best parts of the stay. He was very friendly, professional, kind, helpful, and always had a smile on his face. Keep him around...give him a raise!! Overall we were all extremely impresses and will definitely be back! Thank you for a great experience.
--Jamee Lynn & the Wisconsin girls.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for sharing the fantastic vacation you had at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with all the Trip Advisor readers. We are so happy to hear you and your party thoroughly enjoyed our accommodations, location and service. I can’t agree with you more on how awesome both Arnon and Jason are. They are a joy to work with and more importantly, they are truly passionate about servicing our guests. Please come back and visit us soon. Your Hotel Indigo Del Mar experience awaits you.
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Having stayed at Indigo properties in New York City and in Sarasota we had been attracted to the brand and so when we planned a stay in the San Diego area we chose the Indigo, expecting the same "magical" experience we got at the other properties. The hotel in Del Mar is really a step down and is priced at a level where one would expect more. We had booked an Executive King. Echoing comments in the previous review, there were inadequate electrical outlets. The shower was a bit odd of a shape......narrow......probably due to a quite small bath room.......too much wasted space in the living area and not enough space in the rather cramped bathroom.....the bathroom was poorly designed as to storage, shower, toilet spacing. One oddity was that the king bed had a bed stand and lamp on one side of the bed but nothing on the other. The carpeting was a little past its prime. One had the feeling that this hotel had been built to be something else and then was later converted to an Indigo,
although I don't know the facts of that matter. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel but my wife did so on a couple of occasions and said the kitchen was spartan......only one person attending and he was overworked......causing slow service. The staff was friendly enough but not particularly enthusiastic. There was no single terrible quality to this property but the "whole" picture was a mediocre property posing as and priced as something "special".
I believe they're asking too much in the way of pricing for an average motel. We certainly would not re visit the property under the conditions offered.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry to hear that our room deco and set up did not meet your expectation. Our hotel is a conversion from a previous 20 year old Best Western to Hotel Indigo one year ago. The in-room designs do reflect some of the previous layout and that is the main reason for the smaller bathrooms in some rooms while they are very spacious in another room. We would love to expand and redesign some of the room layouts but structurally some floor plans cannot be changed. I guess that is what adds character and uniqueness to our building. I appreciate the feedback on our need to deliver a more memorable Hotel Indigo Del Mar experience. We will definitely take the feedback to heart and continue improving our service and quality. I truly appreciate your feedback. I hope you will give us another chance in the near future so we can show you that we are as good as any other Hotel Indigo in the Country.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Based on the location and the description, we thought this would be more of a resort hotel. We were wrong. Upon arrival, the staff was really nice and we liked the lobby. The good impression stopped there. As we entering our room. we noticed that in addition to being very dark (we were assigned to the lower level), there were no slippers, no bathrobe, no makeup mirror, and not enough outlets at the vanity (two outlets and one was occupied by the coffee maker.) The wall was paper thin; you can literally hear every conversation, footstep and knock from the next door. There was no safe for the valuables, and although there was a microwave, there was no fridge. The bathroom was so tiny that every time I turned around, I hit my elbow in the shower. Overall we appreciated the friendly staff, yet we were disappointed with the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry to hear that our room deco and amenity offering did not meet your expectation. We do have 8 different room types with many spacious suites and larger bathrooms that offer private ocean view balconies. These rooms might be more suited to what you are seeking for on your stay. I apologize if we ever misled the amenities we offer but I am glad to hear we delivered the friendly service you expected. Hopefully you will give us another chance to show you the true Del Mar experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar. We appreciate your feedback.
Cardiff by the sea, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We’re locals just trying to get away for the weekend, so although this area is very familiar to us, the hotel was not. For the most part, we were pleasantly surprised. It clearly has been remodeled from an older and lesser property, which is exposed in the weirdly narrow steps and slightly uneven halls. Some of the rooms are tiny. We were first taken to 314, which is a cute little King room on the road side. It was just too small for us, and the window was directly in front of the bed so that passers-by could peer in easily. Since I don’t like having curtains drawn all the time, we asked to be moved. Marissa and Richard at the front desk were very nice about this. We moved to room 205, which is a few doors down from the fire pit area. It was less charming but much larger, and though the window offered a view of the garages next door, there was much more privacy. The beds are surprisingly comfortable. The freezer in the mini refrigerator had defrosted, I guess, and my husband had to mop up water after he dared to open it. We used it for the abundant leftovers after having a late dinner at the restaurant. Apparently they were trying out a new bar and food menu, and this might have caused delays in the kitchen. Also, while it was empty when we arrived at the hotel, just before we came in for dinner, they got slammed and our drinks and food took forever. The bartender/waiter could not have been more apologetic. When the food and drinks did arrive, they were well worth the wait—the best calamari I’ve ever had in the tacos—light and tender. The sweet potato fries were perfectly hot and crisp, and the burger was huge. We had received a complimentary hummus appetizer and a chocolate mousse dessert for our troubles as well. I would highly recommend the restaurant—they are working hard to provide unique and delicious dishes, and the portions were huge. I would return to the hotel to watch the sunset at the fire pit.
It’s really not far at all to the beach if you go directly down the driveway to the train tracks. It can take a little agility to scale the cliff, or you can run along the train tracks like the locals do. A short drive to 15th street or Torry Pines will bring you to a beach with parking.
I loved the Aveda shampoo and conditioner. (That’s one of the little treats that makes this more of a boutique hotel.) I agree that the décor isn’t the most chic, but they tried to make this less motel-like.
Rooms vary a LOT. If you can get a good deal on one of the suites with a view, you’ll love the hotel. Those rooms were too pricey the weekend that we were there. Don’t expect perfection here, and you’ll probably enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Avoid small rooms by the road although they are somewhat better decorated than those with pool view...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisory readers. Please accept an extra gratitude from all of us for being our neighbor and taking the time to try us out. We truly value our locals and your “staycation” means the world to us. I am so happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed our beautiful location, friendly service and especially the delicious drinks and food at our Ocean View Bar and Grill. We have about 8 different room types on property and I am glad we were able to find one that accommodated your needs. On your next visit, please try our second floor king suites. They are extremely spacious plus each is designed with an ocean view balcony. Thank you for your understanding and patience during your dinner service. We are constantly improving our service and quality. Your feedback on the great service but slow food delivery time will be shared with my team. The most important part is that the food was great and was well worth the wait. My chefs take great pride in preparing each of their dishes. Thank you for recognizing their passion and pride. We have our next live music event scheduled for next Friday 4/19/13 from 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm. Please come and join us for a night of Jazz music, good food and great drinks.

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!