“Small outdated rooms, slow internet” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   710 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014 (Formerly Stratford Inn of Del Mar)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 7 hotels in Del Mar
Chicago, Illinois
“Small outdated rooms, slow internet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I've been to another Hotel Indigo and was expecting a clean, trendy hotel. While the lobby was trendy the rooms are small and old with tacky decor. The provided internet is so slow checking email is difficult to do let alone stream a movie. My boyfriend needed to work from the room which proved to be impossible because of the slow internet and lack of desk space. Our room faced a walkway and was very loud whenever anybody walked by. The room had no tub, no lights connected to the light switch (we fumbled in the near dark looking for a light to turn on) and we didn't even receive maid service every day. The bed was comfortable, but that's the only positive I can give this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisory readers. I am sorry to hear our internet service plus the room type and location did not meet your expectation. We are aware of our internet issue and a solution is in place to resolve this challenge. It’s such a ashamed that we were not able to show you and your boyfriend the many different room types we have at the hotel. Besides the standard room you stayed in, we have many large spacious rooms located around the hotel with balconies and ocean view. I hope you can give us another chance so that we can truly show you and your boyfriend the real Del Mar experience. Thank you for your comments.

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I started visiting this hotel in 1983 when it was the Stratford Inn. It gradually declined until I stopped about 10 years ago. This time I saw that it had been sold and remodeled and it looked great and the price was right. We were not disappointed. Everything is redone at high quality. Nice touches like an ipad built into the bathroom wall for music and a steam bath in the shower.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the section near the hot tub. If you want an ocean view, ask for the second floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisory readers. We are so happy to hear that you have thoroughly enjoyed our new remodel especially on our “Spa Shower Experience”. Along with you, many guests have found our new Spa Shower Experience rooms to be very enjoyable and loved the ability to listen to their favorite music while relaxing in the steam shower. We are very excited about joining IHG and becoming one of their 50 premier upscale boutique hotels in the United States. We are extremely grateful for your loyalty to our location. We look forward to servicing you again in the very near future. Please come back and visit us soon.
Calabasas, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The good: Stylish newer decor since last year's multimillion dollar makeover, spacious rooms, nice enough staff, great value for the money. Also, how cool is it that it was originally was built in 1910? Del Mar is such a little treasure of a beach town with its boutiques and restaurants within walking distance. Don't miss Fair Trade Decor and Il Fornaio's outdoor bar. The town is classy and quaintly concentrated with everything basically on one main street- Camino Del Mar.
The bad: Our "Ocean View" King room (431) had a very limited ocean view from the balcony only. There was a sliver of ocean above some trees with buildings blocking the rest. The door out to the balcony was almost impossible to open because the wood swelled at the bottom. I could not open it at all- my husband could only after much yanking. Breakfast at the restaurant was not only a disappointment, it was (and I rarely say this) disgusting. There was an option to order the hash dish beer-battered and fried for St Patty's Day, but we did not. Then after a long hungry wait, we blindly dug in. Bad idea- it was the fried stuff. You know when you're so hungry that you know it's bad but you do your best to pick around it? And sometimes batter fried is naughty but tastes good? Not this time. I could hardly eat any and ended up going back to the room. My husband said that when he finally got our nice but AWOL waiter over and told him we didn't usually eat batter fried anything the waiter responded that sometimes it's good to indulge yourself. Really? I was shocked that my hub paid for it- if I hadn't gone back to the room I wouldn't have. Ok, it WAS St. Patrick's Day and I'm sure that breakfast there is usually better. The Irish Luck was not with us this time.
Overall though, I would recommend the Indigo and would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry to hear our breakfast options on St. Patrick’s Day did not meet your expectation. We do serve many other options during our regular breakfast menu; such as French toast, Del Mar Crab Cake Benedict, homemade parfaits and an All American breakfast. Hopefully on your next visit, my chefs can redeem our reputation for providing great, tasty food. The concept for Hotel Indigo was built to reflect our neighborhood story. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the history and shared the same passion for the City of Del Mar. Please come back and visit us soon.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I wanted to love this hotel, and I did like it, I think I just wish I had a room in a different location. The lobby area was awesome and the people were all really nice. My room was in one of the weird little hut buildings off of one of the long walkways, which at first seemed cool, but both of my windows looked right out onto the walkway, so I didn't want to leave the blinds open at all. Plus you can hear every footstep on the walkways from the room. The location was also very good, we walked to the shops and restaurants in Del Mar and to the cliffs above the ocean in no time at all. The room itself was a good size, though not really practical for working. The desk area wasn't that great. The outlets were also in strange places. The most convenient place to charge my phone was the bathroom. The food in the restaurant was pretty good, I had breakfast and lunch there and was happy with it. I would come back for fun and probably ask for a room in a different part of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our service, location and the beautiful ocean view. We do offer 8 different types of rooms at different locations. On your next visit, please give us a call and we will find a room that you will love.
Roscoe, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Business Travel Hotwire find...Very nice updated hotel.

Room smelled a little like dog, I got used to it, not a deal breaker.
They advertise themselves as being pet friendly, so there you have it.
They have a dog brunch???

Loud when people walk by your room....actually really loud. May be a factor on a weekend.

Bar / patio is great. Food was good.

Room Tip: Get a room towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We appreciate your feedback on the dog smell in your room. It is our goal to ensure each of our rooms is detailed and thoroughly clean for the guests that might not be traveling with a four legged friend. I am so glad to hear you had the opportunity to enjoy yourself on our outdoor ocean view deck with a drink and some good food. The sunset is absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully you were able to enjoy the beauty of Del Mar. Please come back and visit us soon.
Fresno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We travel to Del Mar quite often (10+ times a yr.) as my elderly in-laws live here in a retirement community. Places to stay here, and in the surrounding areas, are limited and generally priced very steep. We stayed in Sept. and had a good experience. On our second visit we checked into our room and noticed there was no bathtub so we requested another room. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating, and immediately changed us to another room. Both rooms had new decor and furnishings and were large. I looked outside and saw the pretty pool area and got ready to hop into the jacuzzi. I have fibromyalgia and sit in my own hot tub at least once a day, as it helps with my pain. Unfortunately the jacuzzi water temp was tepid - not even bath-water warm - so I contacted the front desk who had more great news for me: they would be draining the jacuzzi to do some work on it. The work was completed quickly and the water was refilled but it did not get hot-tub hot (over 100 degrees F) in the next 48 hrs we were there. No big deal, it happens. Surprisingly there a few negative house-keeping flaws most people (such as my hubby) might not notice - but I did. There was an opened slim-fast drink in the frig and under the vanity area there was dust and lint. It had obviously not been cleaned in a few weeks. On the positive side, during this stay we heard a fight occur between some men in the parking lot (one was in a car and the other ??? a guest) and it got physical. Soon after the car drove off we heard other voices and went out to see management running to the area of the fight to investigate. That made me feel great. Someone had complained and they looked into it immediately. We did not eat at the restaurant but heard good things about the food. We will definitely try the Indigo again
because overall it was a good experience!

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry to we did not provide a thoroughly clean room during your stay plus the low water temperature in our Jacuzzi. We will definitely take the feedback for improvement. It is great to know that you felt safe during the minor incident and that your overall experience was not damper. It is our goal to ensure all of our guests are well taken care of during their stay. On your next visit, please make a special stop at our Ocean View Bar and Grill. Our chefs make all of their dishes from scratch and are passionate about serving great food and good drinks. Please come and visit us soon.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This place is actually a great, affordable place to stay, but be aware of a few things before you book it:
- If your room is on the road side instead of the water-facing side, you will hear traffic. Rooms are generally not very well sound proofed, so you can count on hearing people walking outside of room, etc.
- the lay out of the hotel is very complicated and not conducive of privacy, so in most rooms, your shades will be down all the time
- Management/staffing at the hotel is not exactly on the ball. While they are usually pretty friendly, they can be a bit inept/unresponsive/thinly staffed. This is not a hotel that you go to looking for great service though.
- Rooms are generally quite clean and generously sized and I found the beds to be pretty comfortable
- The hotel location is great - easy walk to Del Mar but also far enough away that when you leave with a car, you're not stuck in the Del Mar traffic jam.
- Fitness center could use some serious revamping.

I'd rate it a solid C+ as an average, comfortable place that I will return to.

Room Tip: Go for a room that faces the ocean
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry to hear we did not provide the quality of service you have expected. We will definitely take the feedback for improvement. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and find our location relaxing. The ocean view rooms are definitely a great choice; enjoying the beautiful sunsets and sunrise on your very own balcony. On your next visit, please contact me directly and I will personally ensure we deliver the service you expect.

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!