“I like it, would go back” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar

You added Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar to your Saves list
Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   710 Camino Del Mar, Del Mar, CA 92014 (Formerly Stratford Inn of Del Mar)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Roscoe, Illinois
“I like it, would go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Business Travel Hotwire find...Very nice updated hotel.

Room smelled a little like dog, I got used to it, not a deal breaker.
They advertise themselves as being pet friendly, so there you have it.
They have a dog brunch???

Loud when people walk by your room....actually really loud. May be a factor on a weekend.

Bar / patio is great. Food was good.

Room Tip: Get a room towards the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. We appreciate your feedback on the dog smell in your room. It is our goal to ensure each of our rooms is detailed and thoroughly clean for the guests that might not be traveling with a four legged friend. I am so glad to hear you had the opportunity to enjoy yourself on our outdoor ocean view deck with a drink and some good food. The sunset is absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully you were able to enjoy the beauty of Del Mar. Please come back and visit us soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Fresno
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We travel to Del Mar quite often (10+ times a yr.) as my elderly in-laws live here in a retirement community. Places to stay here, and in the surrounding areas, are limited and generally priced very steep. We stayed in Sept. and had a good experience. On our second visit we checked into our room and noticed there was no bathtub so we requested another room. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating, and immediately changed us to another room. Both rooms had new decor and furnishings and were large. I looked outside and saw the pretty pool area and got ready to hop into the jacuzzi. I have fibromyalgia and sit in my own hot tub at least once a day, as it helps with my pain. Unfortunately the jacuzzi water temp was tepid - not even bath-water warm - so I contacted the front desk who had more great news for me: they would be draining the jacuzzi to do some work on it. The work was completed quickly and the water was refilled but it did not get hot-tub hot (over 100 degrees F) in the next 48 hrs we were there. No big deal, it happens. Surprisingly there a few negative house-keeping flaws most people (such as my hubby) might not notice - but I did. There was an opened slim-fast drink in the frig and under the vanity area there was dust and lint. It had obviously not been cleaned in a few weeks. On the positive side, during this stay we heard a fight occur between some men in the parking lot (one was in a car and the other ??? a guest) and it got physical. Soon after the car drove off we heard other voices and went out to see management running to the area of the fight to investigate. That made me feel great. Someone had complained and they looked into it immediately. We did not eat at the restaurant but heard good things about the food. We will definitely try the Indigo again
because overall it was a good experience!

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry to we did not provide a thoroughly clean room during your stay plus the low water temperature in our Jacuzzi. We will definitely take the feedback for improvement. It is great to know that you felt safe during the minor incident and that your overall experience was not damper. It is our goal to ensure all of our guests are well taken care of during their stay. On your next visit, please make a special stop at our Ocean View Bar and Grill. Our chefs make all of their dishes from scratch and are passionate about serving great food and good drinks. Please come and visit us soon.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This place is actually a great, affordable place to stay, but be aware of a few things before you book it:
- If your room is on the road side instead of the water-facing side, you will hear traffic. Rooms are generally not very well sound proofed, so you can count on hearing people walking outside of room, etc.
- the lay out of the hotel is very complicated and not conducive of privacy, so in most rooms, your shades will be down all the time
- Management/staffing at the hotel is not exactly on the ball. While they are usually pretty friendly, they can be a bit inept/unresponsive/thinly staffed. This is not a hotel that you go to looking for great service though.
- Rooms are generally quite clean and generously sized and I found the beds to be pretty comfortable
- The hotel location is great - easy walk to Del Mar but also far enough away that when you leave with a car, you're not stuck in the Del Mar traffic jam.
- Fitness center could use some serious revamping.

I'd rate it a solid C+ as an average, comfortable place that I will return to.

Room Tip: Go for a room that faces the ocean
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am sorry to hear we did not provide the quality of service you have expected. We will definitely take the feedback for improvement. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and find our location relaxing. The ocean view rooms are definitely a great choice; enjoying the beautiful sunsets and sunrise on your very own balcony. On your next visit, please contact me directly and I will personally ensure we deliver the service you expect.
Hampton, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned home from a six day stay at he Hotel Indigo in Del Mar. We both cannot give enough positive comments to match the experience we had during our stay at this property. I travel an average of 200 + days a year for business and pleasure. This hotel has given me one of the best stays I have ever had, bar none. Of course, San Diego Del Mar is a hard location to not enjoy, yet the staff of this property moved "our" experience from excellent to "Superior". Richard and Barbara at the front desk, and Chris and the staff at the bar and restaurant went above and beyond in their job responsibilities! I read a negative review from a local, and I am confused in regard to their review. Yes the menu is simple, but everything we ordered was well prepared, served quickly and quite appetizing. The staff was happy to serve you on the balcony in front of the fire pits, at the pool, or at the tables at the back of the property while observing the spectacular sunsets. We enjoyed a glass or two of wine each night around the fire pits and met some great people who enjoyed the Indigo as much as we. It may not be a Five Star property as far as ratings would be structured, but it would be a Six Star property if you are looking for a relaxing stay at a very reasonable cost! Thanks to all at Del Mar Indigo for making "our" stay so memorable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us at Hotel Indigo Del Mar with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so happy to hear my staff, our service and the hotel has exceeded you and your wife’s expectation during your six nights stay in Del Mar. I can’t agree with you more on how awesome Barb, Richard and Chris are. They are the Super Stars along with many others that makes our hotel unique and special to our guests. The concept of Hotel Indigo is built upon our neighborhood story. We partner with local food vendors to provide a true Del Mar experience for our guests. I am glad you and your wife enjoyed our simply good food and great local bar at our Ocean View Bar and Grill. After a year of renovation and rebuilding, we are very excited to join the upscale boutique IHG brand. Please come back and visit us soon. We look forward to serving you and your wife again.
Ventura, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I had heard about IHG's new Indigo Hotels and was very interested in trying one. Seems they take older hotels, do a complete update to create a very nice option. Such is the Indigo Del Mar. I believe this was formerly a Best Western but there is little left of the old BW. The lobby is open and spacious. It is attached to the nice restaurant, bar, breakfast area with sliders that open the entire room to the pool area with a view of the ocean. Decor is "Del Mar" racetrack and ocean themed. Lots of pastels. Service was excellent with friendly staff, waiters and service. Now the rooms. DO NOT take the low end "leisure king" room. All the rooms are different and all are very nicely appointed but there is a reason these rooms are much less. My travel agent (bless her cheap heart) booked this room. All the way in the very back of the hotel, down some stairs to what literally is a basement room. The backside is underground and the front faces the stairwell down to the room. This would be deemed a basement flat in any city. The other problem is that the room back UNDER the road. Road noise is very bad. Again the room is nice but I do not like living in a hole. After contemplating how short life is I went back and asked for anything else. I could see many, many rooms with balcony's and obvious ocean views. I figured these were the $40 more a night rooms but well worth it. The lovely desk person gave me a complementary upgrade to a room with a partial view. Wonderful (see picture). I had to trade my king for two queens but the queen was fine. Very comfortable soft beds. Flat screen TV. Small frig and micro wave in its own "kitchenette area. Bathtub shower. Aveda products. Great wall mural. All in all a very nice room. Oh and I could hear the surf at night. I would have paid for that in in itself.

Room Tip: No leisure king. Ask for a "partial ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Man Lai T, General Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience you had at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. It makes us very happy to know we have delivered a fabulous experience during your visit. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, good food great bar, ocean view location plus the wonderful service you received throughout your stay. You have definitely made a great choice in opting for the upgrade because the joy of being able to wake up to the view of the Pacific Ocean and/or watching the sunset each night from your own private room is priceless. A vacation is only memorable when we have the opportunity to experience something different than what we do every day. We can’t wait to be part of your wonderful vacation memories again. Please come and visit us soon.
Ashford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The Hotel Indigo Del Mar could not have been nicer. This hotel has been recently renovated - the rooms are beautiful. The bathrooms are very large with lovely decor and updated shower and vanity areas. The room was large, nicely decorated and we really enjoyed our stay. The central patio area outside the bar has tables and fire pits to enjoy the evenings as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience you had at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. It makes us very happy to know we have delivered a fabulous experience during your visit. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, good food great bar, ocean view location plus the wonderful service you received throughout your stay. I can’t agree with you more on how lovely it is to watch sunset on our patio deck with a glass of wine in your hand. We can’t wait to service you again. Please come and visit us soon.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The room was very clean and much larger than we had expected with a small kitchen area and bar with granite counter top. Everything was nicely decorated and newly upgraded. The location was great, just a few minutes to walk to shops and restaurants downtown Del Mar. We ordered room service the night we arrived and it was a great value for the money and was delivered in less than 20 minutes. We had breakfast in the restaurant the next morning and the homemade cinammon brioche and veggie omelettes were both wonderful. The beds were comfortable and the room was very quiet with a beautiful view of the ocean. Not a single complaint. We will definately stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your great experience you had at Hotel Indigo with other Trip Advisor readers. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, good food great bar, ocean view location plus the wonderful service you received throughout your stay. It makes us very happy to know we have delivered a fabulous experience during your visit. We can’t wait to service you again. Please come and visit us soon. In your next visit, don’t forget to give our famous signature Crab Cake a try. They are well known throughout town.

Been to Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar? Share your experiences!