“Still lovely after all these years” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast + Valet Parking
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bozeman, Montana
“Still lovely after all these years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

In between business trips in San Diego and LA, I spent three nights. For an extra $35/night, I upgraded to a room with a balcony. The "view" wasn't really a view, but it was nice to have some outdoor space. The room and bathroom are lovely. The work out facility is really just a small room with one bike, four treadmills, and a couple of elliptical machines, and for me, that's disappointing in a $350+/night property. There are some free weights, two benches, and a sort of combination machine. The pool is small, but nice. The lap pool's filtration system was broken during my stay so it was unaccessible. I had two good massages at the spa. The octopus with lentils and greens is really, really good. The lettuce cups with crab are too sweet. The kale salad was overpriced and underwhelming. The setting is convenient and the view from the deck/outside restaurant is stunning. About 18 years ago, I was at L'Auberge Del Mar for a work meeting, and it was nice to see that they have maintained a high standard of quality.

Room Tip: It's worth the upgrade for view.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
LAubergeDelMar, Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. First of all, I would like to say it was a pleasure having you back at the hotel. I am sure you have noticed the vast renovation that was completed in 2008. We have plans this year to once again add capital improvements to the hotel. We hope you will soon return to see the improvements, and enjoy our seaside location.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I do not recommend this hotel if you are traveling with a family or group - booking is a nightmare and their staff have no idea what decent customer service is. All I want is a nice 90th birthday for my grandmother but dealing with their staff has turned it into a nightmare.

I've stayed here multiple times before, just my husband and I, but have never had to deal with the staff. You'd think they'd be nice to a return customer who stays in the pricier rooms, but that assumption would be incorrect. I'm definitely not staying here again and wouldn't recommend anybody with a group or family stay here, either. If you get a super-cheap rate at Expedia or something and don't have to deal with the hotel it'd probably be OK.

Stayed March 2015
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a very nice place, I love the brubch on sundays, this place has the best high ends and luxury amenities, I like to be there every sunday, I really recommend this cute and super deluxe hotel very Californian, with amazing views to south pacific coast!! so lovely, you have to go there when come over to San Diego ( Del Mar ) this hotel is really a Gem, so wonderful place

Room Tip: everything is immaculate
Green Features: they are very kind and always talking about environmentally practices
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you consider our seaside boutique hotel a gem. At L’Auberge Del Mar, we strive to match our beautiful views with high end service. We look forward to having you back in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here during a business trip. The hotel is in a lovely location in Del Mar. Right off the Camino del Mar and footsteps away from the ocean. The front desk staff was great. The housekeeping was deplorable. My room was infested with gnats the entire time and despite repeated calls, the problem was not solved. Additionally, the staff at the pool was indifferent and messed up orders repeatedly. I will say this that subsequently, I did receive a personal note from the manager apologizing for the situation and offering to make it better the next time. I will take them up on it as I enjoyed the hotel overall and the location is fantastic.

Room Tip: book a room looking into the pool or at the ocean. and book upstairs to avoid noise from the pool a...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting this review. While I am thrilled to hear of your satisfaction with our seaside location and front desk team, I am disappointed we did not meet the mark while providing you housekeeping and pool service. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate departments. We hope you will not let this atypical experience deter you from coming back to staying with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

this was an excellent, relaxing place to stay,,,and Del Mar is such a cute town.
the room was decent sized, but if we went again, we might try to get a suite, but they're very expensive. and, since only the most expensive suites have a peek view of the ocean, it's not really worth it.
the wi-fi, while free...was VERY slow (something other guests commented on) which is silly in today's day and age.
the 90 minute massage I got (3rd of my life, so I'm not a big spa guy, but my back has been bothering me, so I went)...was excellent and the masseuse was very nice. pleasant setting...not a super high-end spa that I could tell, but nice enough.
the real attraction here is the cute town of Del Mar, and ability to walk everywhere.

Room Tip: try to be on the ENDS of the "U shaped" hotel...higher the better to get a glimpse of ocea...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your taking the time to post this review. I am glad to hear that your recent stay was relaxing, and overall a success. Please come back and see us next time your travels bring you to Del Mar.

Aussie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here with my husband and 2 small children and we were very comfortable in a double ocean view room. This is a beautiful hotel in every sense with some old world charm. The staff and service are absolutely wonderful and were by far the stand out. The female manager on duty went out of her way to help me ship some lost property from the the other side of the country. Her friendly approach and efficiency at getting the lost property back for me was remarkable. Thank you! The valet parking attendants were super efficient and so friendly. The front desk staff were always happy to help out and were incredibly efficient at attending to any of our needs. The hotel is in a terrific location - walking distance to shops, beach and lovely restaurants and just a short 45min drive to San Diego. If I ever visit Southern California again I will certainly be staying here! The WiFi is included in the resort fee.

Room Tip: The beach view was lovely!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
LAubergeDelMar, Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your memorable experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that the beauty of our seaside boutique hotel was supported by efficient service from our valet and front desk associates. At L’Auberge Del Mar, we strive to provide unmatched personalized service. Next time your travels bring you back to southern California, we hope we have the opportunity to host you.

Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is great! There is a cute little main street to walk down and there's a few good restaurants. Across from the hotel, you can walk over to the beach. The rooms are spacious & the bathrooms are great! Love the decor of the entire space. We stayed just for 1 night as a little "getaway" from LA - we'll definitely be back for another little stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
LAubergeDelMar, General Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest-

Thank you for posting this positive review on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you had a successful stay at our seaside resort, and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time a getaway calls.

Kind Regards,

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!