“This is 5 Star All Around” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast!
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas, United States
“This is 5 Star All Around”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The L'Auberge Del Mar is the real thing - a true 5 Star Hotel and not a pretender like I found the St Regis Monarch to be in a recent review. Somehow my key had fallen from my pocket and not only was I offered a new one with no problem whatsoever by the desk agent but he did it with a smile and snack offerings to boot. The room was spacious with more than ample shampoos, soaps, lotions and the likes and OF COURSE a Keureg coffee maker complete with an ample supply of coffee types, creamer types and every thing else to make my stay comfortable. The bed was extra comfortable, the shower large, the TV easy to use (complete with local channels and a full selection - also unlike the St Regis), a great large patio ... in short, a place to make a business trip a real Pleasure! I highly recommend this hotel when in the greater San Diego area!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Prescott
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Beautiful setting...location and room is a 10. However, for the price, a couple of bottles of complimentary water would have been nice.

Our friends upgraded their room for $125 but it was the same as ours without the vaulted ceiling and fan...hmmm... The only difference was theirs faced into the middle of the hotel. Ours was more private with a view of the ocean. Go figure!

Room Tip: We were on the North side ...less hot afternoon sun and a lot more private...we had a great view of...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is not worth the price! I paid a premium for the ocean view room. I was shocked at the age and condition of the room and the dinky balcony with the outdated outdoor chair and flimsy cushion. The room was either ice cold or humid. Upon check in, I didn't get the warm welcome especially when I offered up "It's my birthday". All she mustered up was "how nice". When I was informed my room isn't ready yet, she never offered up what all I can do while waiting. I had to ask where the pool was, are there changing rooms, is there a bar at the pool. First impression....cold and impersonal. When I went to the pool, the one pool boy was running around getting towels and adjusting umbrellas for the guests. When he did try to get drink or lunch orders for guests, he would only get one at a time. I didn't get any service for well over an hour. When I sat at the lobby bar, the bartender just walked up waiting for me to speak. Tough to give a tip to a person who isn't welcoming. I never really saw any staff who was welcoming. If you ever stay at Ritz Carlton's or Four Seasons there are ALWAYS staff to welcome you and ask if there is anything you need. The staff openly expressed they are overworked due to lack of personnel and it showed. They were young and very immature when it came to real customer service. I expected L'Auberge to be this incredible and welcoming hotel and worth the $460 per night I paid. Far from it and I wasted $1600 on a 3 night stay. Even the valet staff never acknowledged my arrival or departure. I extended the hello.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
LAubergeDelMar, Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Guest,

I would like to apologize for your recent experience at our seaside resort. We strive for unmatched personalized service. It is concerning that you did not feel welcome, especially while celebrating a special occasion with us. The above feedback has been shared with our management team, and will be addressed with each outlet you came in contact with. We would love for you to give us another visit, so we that we may earn your loyalty in the future.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This Hotel is perfect! The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is very attentive. Be sure to request a room on the first floor less noise. The walk to the beach is not bad at all. The cocktails are amazing.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
LAubergeDelMar, Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to read your kind words and thank you for sharing them. I look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind Regards,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've been in different hotels around this area and L'Auberge is not the one I would repeat. Not that the room, service or location is wrong, is just the value for money is not worth it. Also, the poll is quite small for the number of rooms they have, so if you go on peak season, be prepared to not find a chair to enjoy it.
Beside that, nothing particularly to complain, just that to expensive for what you get.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, I apologize that you felt the cost of a stay at our seaside resort was too expensive. I want to recommend Destination Delivers, our hotel loyalty program. It is a wonderful way to be rewarded for your loyalty and receive additional benefits at no additional cost.

We hope that you will join our loyalty program and return again to enjoy our beautiful views.

Kind Regards,
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is in a great spot in beautiful little town on the Pacific coast. The valets and the front desk are very engaging, professional, and helpful. The room was very nice but the "balcony" was obviously the roof top of a lower building and was shared by other rooms as well. We were there duing a hot period and the roof baked so it really wasn't a place you could actully utilize. In additon, the halls were very warm on the way from the lobby to the room. The guest elevator also had to be shared with the service staff which obviously had a guest impact. The staff in the lobby bar was okay---kind of hit or miss. The restaurant staff seemed unsupervised and clustered leaving the host stand unmanned. The cocktails were very good. The team in Kitchen 1540 was better and the food was excellent to be sure. Lastly, the walk to the beach was not really direct and was a bit longer than expected. Overall, a very nice property, beautiful sunsets, and the best place to stay in Del Mar but not the Four Seasons.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our home by the sea. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the views, our friendly hotel staff, and Kitchen 1540’s delicious food. Still, I would like to apologize for the shortcomings that you did experience in regards to the elevator and lobby bar. Please know that we will note your feedback so that you may find improvement on your next visit. We look forward to your next stay!

Warm Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very mixed review for L'Auberge... on one hand beautiful location, very nice rooms, especially the cabana rooms while no ocean view have lots of space with the cabana area. OV (such as it was) has very small balconies, except corner rooms; nice employees but it just did not measure up to what we expected. Breakfast and service in the 1540 Kitchen restaurant was not professional. One morning when I got my tea honey was on the tray, next morning no honey. No offers of jam to go with your toast, no salt and pepper one day on the table. Had to ask for it. Someone is not doing a good job of supervising. Just simple procedures. Eggs overcooked, bacon and sausage dry, pancakes burned. Dinner was excellent, but service still lacking. However Lunch at the pool restaurant and service was excellent as was the pool attendants. Service at the bar was also very good. Service also lacking in the rooms, when we got there wine glasses, etc. no wine opener and then found no glasses in the bathroom. Had to call for them. And to our surprise in the evening, no turndown. Next day noticed toothpaste on the counter in bathroom after the cleaning was done. Counter had not been wiped off. Next day much better. Very inconsistent maintenance and supervision. Before I forget, front desk did a nice job. I gave a 3 for service but that is a stretch. For a change of dining there are several excellent restaurants right across the street.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
LAubergeDelMar, Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our seaside resort. While I am pleased to hear the Front Desk team met your expectations, I am disappointed to learn that your visit was not a complete success, and apologize for the challenges you encountered during your dining experiences. The service, or lack thereof, that you described is definitely not to our standards. I understand that there are many travel options when visiting our beach community and I sincerely thank you for choosing us. I hope that our seaside resort can continue to be your resort of choice when visiting this fabulous city.

Resort Operations Manager

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!