“I agree Don't stay here!!” 2 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersBronze level
WY
“I agree Don't stay here!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I agree with all the above reviews in that this is not a five star hotel. Was looking forward to relaxing and staying several days. The valets were so nice and helpful. Checking in was ok. The room was old but the rug was scary dirty as was bathroom. We talked to the room cleaners and they cleaned the shower better for us. The pool was gross and so dirty all the time, there were never any towels for the pool area and asked the pool guy and he ignored us but yelled at us not to take chaise covers - what was a person to do. The restaurant was good but very slow. The best part was the beach just a short walk down and the town was fun to walk around and shop owners nice. This was not worth the price when my daughter was at the Hilton for 1/2 the price with clean room and pool and free breakfast buffet and smores at night.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed at L'Auberge a few weeks ago. A nice property that is in a great location if you want easy access to dining, shopping and the beach. management/staff were very friendly and attentive.
Upon arrival, the bathroom door was broken and there was an immediate need for a clean up issue on the balcony. They were very quick to make repairs and address the clean up. I was happy that the issues were addressed quickly but when paying a luxury price, you don't expect to deal with these things.
The room was a partial view room. When I say partial, it couldn't get more partial. More of a parking lot view room.

Lobby, pool and restaraunt were all very nice and provided good service.

• Stayed July 2014
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I can't say enough positive comments.

The location is perfect overlooking the water.

The rooms and service more than met my expected.

I had a terrace and I loved it. I also loved having a fireplace in my room - just added to the ambience.

Room Tip: You can always ask for ocean view and/or terrace
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Guest,

Exceeding each and every guest’s expectations is our specialty here at L’Auberge Del Mar. I am pleased to read that the service you experienced was matched by the expansive ocean vistas and in room amenities. I look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back and exceeding your expectations again and again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I loved this place - I only wish service was better. Location: Great - Service: mediocre - Management: Careless. It is so upsetting when you pay for a 5 star Hotel and get treated terribly. We stayed Sun - Wed, and Service was extremely SLOW. Staff are either not trained appropriately or are NOT interested in making guests feel welcomed. And try not to complain to Management - They are poor in handling issues with customers. Basically you shouldn't ask or expect bar staff to take an extra step to make a customer happy. (as you should expect at any 5 star destination) - Funny thing WE still tipped well because we are expected to do so. The Pool area needed to be cleaned - towels were left the entire night every night we stayed - Offering a bad evening and morning view to guests who pay extra to have a poolside view - The patio around the pool was gritty and dirty so much that your towels turned black as soon as you put your feet up on the lounge chair.

Room Tip: I liked the pool side view rooms. It would be better if the Pool was tidied up each night.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback on TripAdvisor. While I am pleased that you enjoyed the room and its accompanying vistas, I am disappointed to read of your general disappointment. Surpassing guest expectations in all aspects of ones stay are of paramount importance to us. I have shared your feedback with various departments that will take action to insure that future guests do not have a similar experience. When you choose to return to our seaside resort it would be my pleasure to personally oversee your stay and experience.

Warm Regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed here in the summer of 2013. We drove down from San Francisco/Napa to visit family in San Diego and booked our room through Jetsetter.com. They were having a special on California hotels so we figured we got a good deal, even though our room was more than 3x the price of our Napa hotel room.

After a long day on the road we pulled into L'Auberge at around midnight. The valet guy was really nice and helped us with our bags. I felt bad that he had to wear the terrible Panama Jack hat and uniform that they made the valets and porters wear. When we walked into the lobby we couldn't believe how loud it was. The bar and lobby were SO crowded. There were a lot of older men trying to pick up older women that were trying desperately to look like younger women. There were a lot of over-privileged teenagers. It was like they were filming the Real Housewives of Del Mar mixed with The Hills. Everyone was staring and judging everyone else. My husband and I looked at each other like, "Where are we right now??"

After some confusion with the manager about our reservation, we were checked in and given directions to our room. They were the wrong directions because we ended up on the complete opposite end of the hotel. When we went back we were told, with no apology, "Oh I said left. I meant right." We finally found our room and the porter was there waiting with our luggage which was nice. He showed us around and left. I was surprised by the older design style of the rooms. It definitely felt like they geared everything towards older people, like a throwback to hollywood/south beach glamour, but in a beachy (again) Panama Jack type of way. Not bad or anything, just a little outdated and not our style. There was dust and other peoples hair in our bathroom, which was kind of gross but whatever, I've stayed in worse. You would think for the price, though, you would get an immaculate hotel room at the very least. The decks were nice, even though one was looking over a parking lot and the other the (very pretty) pool, which played loud music until about 11pm-12am every night, and gave us a good show of a fight between an over-privileged teenage couple.

Our door key stopped working our 2nd day there and after many trips up and down from our room to the front desk, we were told we would need a porter to accompany us to our room every time, in order to let us in, if they were available. This was not convenient at all and didn't get fixed until the day before we checked out, even though we contacted them many times.

The only good experience we had at this hotel was with the valets and porters. We obviously won't be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

No better location, steps to the Pacific or Del Mar Village, walk to everything. Recently renovated, rooms are beach cottage clean, common areas are modern.
Staff is amazing - valet, front desk, pool, dining etc.
It would be tough to not enjoy this place - I paid last minute premium rates and it was worth every penny!
If you are from NYC (for example) lifestyle might take a few days for you to unwind - you're in SoCal/Del Mar, it's going to look young and pretty to you, just like you see on TV.
5 Star!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest,

Thank you sharing your enthusiastic feedback regarding L’Auberge Del Mar. I am pleased to read that we have earned your loyalty and are your first choice each time your travels take you to Southern California. I look forward to welcoming you back L’Auberge Del Mar each and every time your travels take you our seaside town.

Kind Regards,

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you don't like crowds, arrive in September when the race season is over, tourist have gone home and you can enjoy the village and beach to yourself.

If you enjoy a scene, this IS the place to be in the summer. Pop on a tiny dress and heels and head down to the lobby. The beautiful upscale lobby meets an open air deck with steps down to an al fresco bar, fireplace and lounge space. The restaurant is farm to table fresh and the cocktails are unique. The crowd is fun! The service here is excellent and the rooms are spacious.

Bring some aspirin. You'll need it for the morning.

Room Tip: Request ocean view or off the main drag
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your review providing details and insights for future visitors to L’Auberge Del Mar. I appreciate your thoughtful review and concern to advise fellow travelers of the tips, locations and moments that made your stay so memorable and special. You are absolutely correct that L’Auberge is the place to be in Del Mar! I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Resort Operations Manager

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!