“Quaint boutique hotel but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast + Valet Parking
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Irvine, California
“Quaint boutique hotel but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed here on a stay-cation weekend, great location close to restaurants and Del Mar beach. Unfortunately a lot of the regular rooms have ZERO view and you will have to pay extra for a partial sea view. I was so disappointed in the bed! It was the most uncomfortable, creaky, lumpy bed I've ever slept in. Needless to say, my husband and I did not sleep well, which really ruins the point of a vacation. There was also traffic noise, so definitely not good for a light sleeper. Brunch was pretty good, and I know their restaurant has great reviews, but it didn't blow me away. Also, I found it tacky that 3 of the servers were standing around chatting the entire time we were there. Also, no spa privileges included in the resort fee. Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Sartell, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed at L'Auberge from Thursday Feb. 6, 2014 to Sunday Feb. 9, 2014 in room 145. Our rate for a king room was $350/night (not including service fees). When we got to our room there was a big fan blowing on the floor outside of our room. Must have been trying to dry the floor for some reason. Our biggest problem was insects. Mainly ants. And I mean ants EVERYWHERE in our room. In our bed, in the bathroom and on the counters. It was awful! We mentioned our ant concern to the front desk the morning after we checked in and realized how bad it was. They said they would have housekeeping take care of it. Well, we woke up the next morning with a ton of ants again, There were also a few small yellow spiders in our room. Not sure if that was related to the ants or not. After talking with to front desk again, they sent maintenance to attend to the problem. The maintenance people arrived and spent a little over an hour vacuuming up the ants and spraying insect killer. They told us they located the problem near our fireplace and thought they killed the main ant "nest." All I know, was that within an hour after maintenance left, the ants were back. Thankfully, our stay was up the following morning. It was awful. To make it worse, when I spoke with management about the problem, they were aware of the ants, but really came across to care less about the whole ordeal. They extended an offer to us to come and stay with them again and that we would have a better experience next time. There will not be a next time.
One suggestion I can give readers of this would be to stay at either the Clarion down the street or the Hotel Del Mar. We were in town for a large wedding and spoke with guests who were staying at both these resorts and said they were clean and the people were friendly. The rates for these hotels are much less too. Don't pay $1,600 for 3 nights with ants like I did!

Room Tip: The King deluxe room we had was very small. I would choose a different resort for what they charge...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Tonya,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am thrilled that you had the opportunity to come to Del Mar, but deeply regret that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept my deepest apologies that you experienced discomfort in your guestroom. Furthermore, we will provide our Front Desk with a refresher course on providing unmatched customer service and responsiveness. Your satisfaction while staying with us is always our top priority.

Kind Regards,
Resort Operations Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed here because we were attending a holiday party at the hotel. The room was quite nice. Sort of an interesting combination of elegance and coziness. It was clean and well maintained. We didn't spend a great deal of time at the hotel, but we did have breakfast in the restaurant in the morning, which was quite good. Service was good throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. We did not have a view, but were not there long enough to care.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Canandaigua, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed here for a conference of my husband and it has some real pluses over the big resorts. The rooms were very comfortable and had nice finish touches like marble bath and dresser tops. All rooms had some nice books to browse and the beds are very comfy. The rooms all have outdoor areas with French doors with nice shutters - no drapes which is a plus for cleanliness. The hotel staff is friendly and the entire place is well maintained. Loved the mini cupcakes at the front desk. Pool and hot tub area is nice. Short walk to beach. Nice Lobby and gardens. They also had free internet which worked well. Only valet parking which is a pain. There are many places within walking distance so you can get around easily. I really enjoyed this hotel.

Room Tip: South facing balconies are nicer
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is the second time Mrs H and I have stayed here . She like the prappings of a 5* resort and we both like an apartment so this is a perfect compromise . The Villas Auberge are wonderful 1 bed appts with Ocean views , well fitted kitchens ( no wash machine tho ) balconies and full use of gorgeous pool, excellent restaurant , terraces and hotel credit . We love it , 4 mins walk from the beach , approx 10 restaurants within 5 mins and very helpful staff . A real banker , a great find as is the town and what a beach .

Room Tip: Be aware of train noise the Villas are quieter than the chateaux
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

If you want to stay in a room that has wet spots from where the cleaners have just steam cleaned the dog crap and pee off the floor from the prior guest's dog ... you have come to the right place. If you also like the sound of barking "pooches" in the room next door when the owners have headed out for dinner, this place is also for you. But if you have allergies, you certainly should not stay at this hotel as the room I am staying in gives me hay fever the moment I walk into it and still has the smell of pooches .... I call it pooches because the hotel has a "pooch policy" allowing people to bring their small dogs ... pity this is not made clear when you book the hotel!!!

It's a real shame, as the hotel is otherwise reasonably nice and well located ...

Room Tip: One where a dog has not been staying for the prior week ... and one with water (not car park) views
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for allowing us to be your host during your visit to Del Mar. Your feedback is much appreciated and is very valuable to us. I am very disappointed to hear that your stay was not a complete success and it concerns me deeply to learn that the condition of your room did not reflect a level of exceptionality. Welcoming pooches into our sea side resort is intended to enhance visits and never detract from them. It is in this spirit that we not only provide a pooch gift bag upon registration, but also provide a deep clean of the entire carpet and room after each and every pooch stay.

Again, I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations and sincerely hope that you will reach out to me personally so that I can insure that any future visit to Del Mar is a complete success.

Kind Regards,

Resort Operations Manager
Carson, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

romantic, the sounds of the crashing waves and passing Amtrak trains as I looked out of the window while lying in a most comfortable bed, clean room, afte taking a walk around the well kept property with lovely waterfalls and a bar where after my husband informed the bartender I was sick with a cold he made the best hot toddie a girl could ask for, we were surprise to find fresh cookies and lemon soda pops in our room when we returned.... Can I just say.............Wow
We loved it. My husband was a little disappointed because the sauna on the men side was not working but he got over it but still was disappointed. I didn't care for the paint smell in the building don't know if it was recently painted but it didn't smell like that in our room. My husband was offered a upgrade on the room thats why why could hear the waves etc. only downside this room was adjoined to a suite and the couple in that room were so loud it was as if they were directly in the room with us the walls seem thin already but the drunk couple with the loud music was awful, my husband called and immediately someone came up it must have been a women she knocked so softly the couple never answered eventually we heard the phone ring several times and they finally shut there mouths and turned off their music, overall great time

Room Tip: We had a corner room that had the best room but it shared a door with an adjoining room to a suite...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!