“Disappointing!” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manhattan Beach
“Disappointing!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Room was dirty. Used margarita glasses in "clean" room. Used beer cans on our patio. Used wedding cake in our refrigerator! And, cigar ashes all over the carpet. Not only not cleaned but not checked. No turn down service -- and, $500+ per night (parking lot view). Never again. Management does not care (at all). Disgusting for the price. Much better places -- Rancho Valencia...Inn at Rancho Santa Fe...Grand Del Mar. Don't waste your money at L'Auberge!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LAubergeDelMar, Resort Operations Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, thank you for choosing our resort and thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. There are ten pillars that serve as the foundation upon which our commitment to you is built and I want to assure you that the conditions that you described do not reflect our pillar of quality. It is of paramount importance to me that I earn the present satisfaction and future loyalty of each and every guest by providing them with accommodations and service that exceed their expectations. Therefore, I am deeply concerned about not only rectifying your current displeasure, but doing what it takes to earn your future loyalty. As you know, it is difficult to link your Trip Advisor feedback with your reservation; however, it would be my privilege to address the challenges that you experienced. Please email me at BCrawford@DestinationHotels.com to grant me the pleasure of doing what it takes to earn your future loyalty.

Kind Regards,

Resort Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Santa Ana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Spent two nights here for an anniversary. Had an excellent room with a great view. The hotel was not full but the parking situation was usually a mess. It is clear that noise can be an issue, although fortunately for us it was not. Did have to call security one night fairly late to clear the pool which is supposed to close at 10. Unfortunately, the phones in the room did not work at all. Enjoyed the Keurig coffee service in the room, great to sit on the deck in the morning, enjoying the view. Easy walk to the beach which is excellent. Train noise can be an issue (first train is at 5:40 AM). The buildings and decorating are very attractive. Staff is quite young, but usually helpful.

Room Tip: Ocean view a must
Kildeer, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 nights here and were extremely disappointed with the experience. Based on the rates, I expected 5 star service. Not even close. First evening we discovered that they had discontinued turndown service. We thought they simply missed our room. Not so. They offered to bring us extra towels if we needed them.
On our Saturday stay (which was a premium rate), we noticed that a wedding party was being set up. We questioned the front desk about this and they said it would last until 10 PM. My wife and I were looking forward to quiet evening at the ocean with dinner in our room and there was no way that could happen. When we returned from dinner, the wedding party was so loud we could not even watch television. Basically, they provided the most expensive bed in town. The manager on duty when we checked out seemed very concerned, but there was nothing he could do at this point.
The room was nice and the food in the restaurant was very good. Overall, let the buyer beware. This could be a nice hotel, but no way close to a premium experience.

Room Tip: Ask prior to booking if they have an event scheduled.
Roswell, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed for three nights for our anniversary. We loved the area over La Jolla's business. The room was beautiful. I did pay extra for a partial ocean view, and wished we could have been on the better view side....should have said something. We ate at the restaurant for dinner. The manager was over-seeing the food runners....but our food was barely warm. Our server never came until after we we about finished. Other than that, the property was beautiful, staff great. Very glad stayed here

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floor with the more unobstructed view of the ocean
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LAubergeDelMar, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful occasion with us! We do apologize that service fell short in the restaurant and will use your feedback for future training. Please come back and visit us again soon so we can surpass your expectations.
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We have stayed there a couple of times and love the location. Their dining/menu is really good and innovative. I know Delmar is in the "high rent district", but this place is way over-priced; for what they charge, it should be on the beach, not near it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sandy Springs, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while on vacation in the San Diego area. Overall the actual hotel was beautiful, the room was clean and spacious. The one thing that we felt was lacking was service. When we vacation we typically splurge on hotel and have gotten used to a certain level of service that tends to come with spending over $400 a night on a hotel room. One example is that we asked for a bottle of water at the outside bar and they said they didn't have any, to go inside and check. We went inside to the restaurant bar where they sold us a bottle for $4. We went to the pool both days and while the guys working the pool area were nice they were not very attentive and waited at their stand to be asked for towels, etc without showing much initiative. There were 2 weddings, which is understandable, however I am very glad we did not pay extra for the "ocean" view as I am sure it would have been very noisy in those rooms. The weddings went on till late in the evenings and we could hear the noise from our balcony but it did not disturb us as our room was located on the other side of the building. We would consider staying here again but I woulnd't go out of my way to do so, unfortunately because the grounds and room were gorgeous, it was just lacking that special level of service that we were looking for.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
LAubergeDelMar, Director of Resort Operations at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback; it is very important to us to know how we can improve our guests' experiences. I will address your pool service concerns with the staff promptly, as we pride ourselves in exceptional service and providing you with a memorable experience. Thank you and we look forward to your return!
Kind Regards,
Victoria
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Need to make it clear I did not stay at this hotel, but I took a course and spent 3 full days at this supposedly posh place and I also check out one of their rooms as other students on the course were staying there. Frankly if I paid that much for a hotel, I would have been very upset.

First, yes sure the lobby and rooms were nice but nothing spectacular. There was no bath in the bathroom, as large as the shower is, for me, I expect a good size tub if it is a 5 star hotel. Also, the twin rooms were a bit cramped. If the rooms are not that big, then don't use such large pieces of furniture. Also, their pool was small and gets very crowded. Second, staff was not particularly friendly, they were either obnoxious or one was courteous but incompetent. Third, had lunch there one day, the supposedly good grilled salmon was pathetic. Others had burger and seafood salad and I guess they were alright. Lastly, the toilet on G/F had flushing problems and the staff knew about it as I saw 2 handy men coming to check on my way out. However, they did not put up any signs to let guests know they were out of order and when we used it next, well, it was nasty as er.. things that were supposed to be flushed were not. Frankly, I am quite appalled by the experience and surprised they are a 5 star.

I stayed at Hilton Del Mar nearby for 7 nights and yes, it is Hilton afterall so nothing fancy, but they are less than or about half the price of L'Auberge but I had a good stay with none of the above problems, room was actually quite a bit bigger, food was cheaper but great, they have complimentary shuttle service, staff was genuinely helpful, so I am happy with them and think they are of good value. Whereas if I had spent USD2300+ for 7 nights at L'Aurberge, I would really regret it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Pantai Inn
Pantai Inn
#2 of 25 in La Jolla
5.0 of 5 stars 332 reviews

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!