“Can't Think of a More Favorite Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast!
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tucson, AZ
“Can't Think of a More Favorite Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

L'Auberge Del Mar has been a favorite since 2002. In fact, THE favorite hotel since...forever. Intimate. Spacious, ultra-comfortable rooms. Sensational dining and drinking outlets, inside and out. Nice pool. Although the beach is SO close. And Del Mar is great for walking around. Plus the americana restaurant (another fave) and a nice collection of shops and places to eat and drink are across the street. Probably best of all - no, it's a tie - is chilling on the big rocking chairs overlooking the Pacific or by the ample firepit near the outside bar. If only time and money were not object...

Room Tip: Ocean views are nice. But there doesn't seem to be a bad room in the house. After all, you'r...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I satyed at this lovley resort in Nov of 2011 during Thanksking holiday. We had two beautiful rooms, had thanksgiving dinner at the restaurant and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I booked a room thinking it had an ocean view only to be given upon arrival a "handicapped room" overlooking the parking lot. I was first told this was the only room available. After calling my online booking agent's customer service - suddenly there was another room. The online rep warned me the new room was noisy but the hotel manager assured me this was not the case - however when I returned to the hotel in the late evening - it sounded like trucks were roaring through the room. Upon complaining again - I was moved after midnight to third room which they called an "upgrade" but it was the exact same room - somewhat less noisy without view. Hotel reception & management staff several times told me I was not the appropriate "category" to obtain a better room, stating that if I had only contacted the hotel directly instead of booking online they might have been able to accommodate me. Overall I felt that they were trying to see just how bad a room I would tolerate and were not honest with me throughout the entire process. They certainly appeared to not like those booking through hotels.com. During my stay, multiple hotel staff members knocked on my door before 8am each morning waking me up. On the day of my departure starting at 7:30am – 3 times there knocks on the door to inquire when I was checking out. There were multiple other problems - waiter bringing me the wrong breakfast, poor service at the bar. Sure did not feel like a 4 star hotel - pretty location but 2 star service at best.

Room Tip: Apparently you must book through the hotel directly and pay a premium for a quiet room and/or a ocea...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We haven't stayed here since their remodel in 2008. All I can say is wow. Huge improvement. Beautiful resort. Perfect location. Staff could not have been nicer. You really don't need a car for a long weekend. One mistake that we will not make again was our room faced the courtyard where the hotel stages weddings and events pretty much every day. Next time will ask for a room away from the "action".

Room Tip: Suggest you ask for rooms away for the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

For $500 per night I expect a nice hotel. This place was so lacking. There was not enough help. The rooms were old . Had a dirty smell to it. The linens and towels were old. I have a very keen scense of smell and my room had the scent of human flesh in everything ! Not to mention I was bitten from head to toe from some sort of insect. The food in the hotel was mediocre. I was unable to workout in the gym because it had an odor like hickory smoke . You know the kind they use in a dog treat. Yuck! Need I say more?

• Stayed July 2012
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

As a "local" I've often popped into L'Aurberge, mostly for the fine (but expensive) restaurant (no deals for local residents on meals and drinks, unlike other Del Mar establishments!). The hotel is pretty, with nice, though not spectacular, ocean views. The restaurant was as good as ever, even with a new chef. The small, ocean-view, pool was properly heated for this relatively cool location, though the presence of so many loud children wasn't particularly relaxing. Rooms are elegantly furrnished. Public spaces are bright and cheerful. Valet parking was extortionate, so I just parked on the street nearby for free. My biggest complaint was the "resort fee"-- a relatively new and unwelcome scam from hotels to hide their actual charges. I was told that the fee covered internet and business center usage-neither of which I used. But the $14 fee was still mandatory and therefore not removed. Seems cheezy to me, and enough of an annoyance that I will in the future stay elsewhere. One other problem: even though I requested and received a late check-out, they "automatically" cut off my room key card at noon, so I had to schlep back to the lobby to get myself back into my room. Why on earth they wouldn't re-code the cards when extending a late check-out is beyond me, but I was told that's their system. (They do seem to have their "rules"!)

Room Tip: My room had no ocean view, which made it less attractive, though probably less expensive. if you can...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We visited the hotel with our two teenage children. The room we were given exceeded our expectations - a suite with two bathrooms and plenty of room for two roll away beds. The view was spectacular and just a short walk to the beach. We didn't know about the train running so close to the property but that wasn't even a bother. We'd go back in a heart beat. Great staff!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!