“Enchanting 5 Star Property!” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast!
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Del Mar
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas
“Enchanting 5 Star Property!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

L'Auberge Del Mar Resort & Spa redefines the California coastal resort experience. It marries luxurious accomodations with the tranquile, comfort, and relaxation of the sea. Almost every corner of the hotel offers panoramic coastal views so you can catch the sunrise and sunset each and every day. The decor is exquiset California casual elegance that envelopes you and instantly puts you at ease when you arrive. The personalized service, attentive staff and oustanding concierge go well out of their way to make sure that you are happy and attended to - truly service like no other!

This is the perfect property for a romantic weekend getaway, social occasion or corporate meeting. We stayed here over a 3-day weekend to celebrate our 10th Anniversary and it could not have been more perfect. It feels like a personal retreat - you'll never want to leave.

It's a fairly small hotel, estate-style, in the shape of a 'U', so views are maximized from the center of the property which houses the lobby, bar, outdoor patio eating areas and pool. Everything is very open and scenic with the fresh ocean breeze traveling through the lobby at all times.

We had a regular resort room with a King bed. The decor was breathtaking and comfortable. We could leave our patio door open at all times and hear the sound of the ocean. Truly magical!

The property is ideally located only 20 minutes north of the San Diego airport, and Del Mar village is easily walkable once you arrive. There are many great restaurants, shops, galleries, parks and the beach all within a 2-3 minute walk.

Our visit was simply heaven sent. No problems, complications or issues.

My only complaint would be that the spa seems as if it was an afterthought. The treatments were wonderful, but the spa facility (hut) itself was only a 2 star facility. Very small, not private at all (ladies and men share a small waiting area), and the lockerooms were barren and unaccomodating when it came to supplies, showers, etc. No luxury feeling or zen qualities here.

Room Tip: Do book your travel early during key travel times as this is a small boutique property and they fill...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

393 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Alberta, CANADA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My husband, daughter and I booked a standard room, but decided to upgrade it at check in. We paid an extra $40/night and got a very disappointing room. The view was not of the lovely courtyard, or the pool, or even the ocean...but of the side of the roof and the bar across the way. The topper was that the room had double beds. DOUBLE beds!? Who puts two adults in a double bed, and calls it an upgrade!? Yes, we were 3 people so we needed 2 beds, but surely they could've put us in a room with 2 queens or a king and rollaway bed for our daughter? To give us this room, and take our money for the upgrade made us feel very duped indeed.

Yes, the property is lovely, staff were fine, and food was fine. Clearly, none of the rave reviewers below stayed in our room.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't have a room with double beds. :(
Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
LAubergeDelMar, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear MTVandendooren,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us here at L'Auberge. The room you upgraded to was in our Resort Room category. These rooms are located primarily on the second and third floor of L'Auberge's exterior, overlooking the gardens and the village of Del Mar. The configuration of our rooms are either a king bed or two double beds. We also offer several connecting room options and seven suites if extra space is needed. I apologize that the room you stayed in was not to your liking, however please know that our team is always happy to assist in finding the right room to fit your needs. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in Del Mar and we will find the perfect room for you!

Best,

Scott Wall
Front Office Manager
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I spent the weekend of April 20-22nd at this lovely hotel as a member of a small wedding party. The wedding planner, Chrissy, was fantastic and very involved in every step of the ceremony and reception. Early in the weekend she mentioned that she would validate parking for the members of the wedding party. We were so busy that I never had the chance to get her to put a signature on my parking ticket. When I went to check out there were $120 in parking charges on my bill. There were charges for my car and the cars of other members of the wedding party. I explained to the desk clerk that Chrissy had said she would validate the parking. At that time the clerk kindly removed the charges. Imagine my surprise when I checked my credit card bill a week later and found that two days after I'd left the hotel they had charged my credit card $120! They never called or emailed me to say they were going to put the charge on, they just did it without my knowledge or consent. I immediately called the hotel to request that the charges be reversed and they refused. The woman on the phone, Diana, said it would be "impossible" to reverse the charges since they were for parking fees included in the hotel contract. I explained everything about the wedding, Chrissy the wedding planner, and the validation but Diana continued to refuse. I asked to speak with a manager and was sent to a voice-mail box. I am so disappointed that such an elegant hotel would charge a guest's credit card without notification and then argue about it on the phone. I imagined that when I called they simply would have said, "We are sorry about the confusion and we'll reverse the charges right away". I am still awaiting a reply from the hotel manager and my credit card company will be disputing the charges. Honestly the hotel is beautiful, the staff are friendly, and my dear friend's wedding was a gorgeous success. It is such a shame that due to this unpleasant situation I will never recommend this hotel to any other family or friends for a wedding or even a weekend stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
LAubergeDelMar, Manager at L'Auberge Del Mar, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Ms. Trageser,

We are happy that you enjoyed our beautiful property and indeed it our mission to provide exceptional service. As you are aware, our resort offers valet parking to insure our guests have the best possible arrival experience. When guests arrive and check into the resort we disclose our parking rates to them and we confirm these rates by having all of our guests sign a registration card outlining the overnight per vehicle parking charges. Our wedding coordinators assist with all things in conjunction with the wedding, however, they do not waive and or validate valet parking charges.

This we understand that you were indeed aware of and is in direct conflict with what you originally relayed to our accounting representative when trying to dispute your parking charges. You mentioned to accounting that the bride and groom were going to pay for your parking and therefore you wanted us to bill your parking to their account. It is not our practice to bill other guests accounts for someone else’s charges and we do not think this would be an ethical practice.

This posting is in direct conflict with what you first explained to us was the reason you wanted the parking validated and further more is in direct conflict with the fact that Krissie did not at any time represent that she would indeed validate your parking nor does she play a role in the resorts room charges.

Trese Bernier, CMP | Director of Catering and Conference Management
L’AUBERGE DEL MAR | 1540 Camino Del Mar | Del Mar, CA 92014
p. 858.793.6432 | f. 858.793.6484
tbernier@destinationhotels.com
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

L'Auberge is amazing. The accommodations are impeccable and the staff is attentive. Top notch all the way around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, you'll get an ocean view with it!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ipswich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

This has been one of the best places I have visited in recent times. I spent four nights at L'Auberge Del Mar and each night my stay was fantastic. The staff are incredibly helpful (I had a couple of staff members go above and beyond for me) and I didn't come across anybody that didn't appear to love what they do there.

My room was made up for me daily, soaps and shampoos were replenished as required and everything in the room itself was in immaculate condition. This was as comfortable as I've felt outside my own home.

If I'm ever in Del Mar again, I'll certainly look up L'Auberge again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Lovely hotel in a wonderful setting. A very pleasant and comfortable stay. Booked two rooms 2nd floor, South wing - great views of the sunset. Shame about the train noise!

Room Tip: Choose a 2nd or 3rd floor overlooking the pool area.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stay in this hotel with a corporate rate in early February for a business meeting.

When compared with downtown San Diego, the main attraction here is that it is more peaceful and there are more spaces for you to enjoy the perfect sea view, together with sun-set and sun-rise.

Though it is not a large resort, there are almost everything (including services and amenities) here. I have tried the spa (indeed facial) and indeed it is very good. There is also a gym at the baseband that contains all necessary weighing and fitness equipments.

The room is of standard size and the only [minor] disappointment is that my room is facing the carpark and the main road, rather than the sea. Nevertheless, there is plenty of chances for on to enjoy the sea view around the hotel. The room service here is good and efficient. I specially like the chicken that is very tasty :)

The main service that makes me feel impressed is the concierge. A few days before my check-in, the staff has already contacted me and provided me all necessary services, including the request of early check-in and the reservation of spa service. What it is different from the pre-check-in services provided by the other hotels is that they do it not via an automated email, but really a one-to-one personal email that makes you feel good.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to L'Auberge Del Mar? Share your experiences!