“Great little hotel on the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Del Mar Motel on the Beach
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1702 Coast Blvd., Del Mar, CA 92014   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
Lincoln, Illinois
“Great little hotel on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Del Mar on the beach. We thought the hotel was great. I have stayed in a lot of high name hotels and thought this was better than a lot of them. It was quiet and clean and we would definetly go back. My daughter goes to school at ucsd and we will certaintly stay here each time we come to visit. It is not a hotel for young couples with children but for the 50 and over group it is a great little find. In all the service was great and we had a nice relaxing week on the beach without the high price. There are plenty of superb restaurants within walking distance. Again it is definetly worth the visit to this quaint little hotel on the beach.

• Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2006

$225 a night for this dump.But hey, you do walk out of your door and within steps have your feet on the sand.I would not cook ANYTHING on the dirty grills outside.The carpet was stained and very old.Bedspread had holes in it and old.Ceiling fan looked like and sounded like it was going to fall out of the ceiling.Wall unit for aircondtioner had broken knob so you got only one speed, one temp.Shower was like a shower on the beach but older and dirty,towels stunk, bathroom was the pitts.Furniture looked 20 years old.We booked a double bed room early that day and paid for by credit card!(I was with my daughter and new son-in-law)and got a king bed.They said all the others were rented.It was late and we had no choice.I got a roll-a-way bed that they had the nerve to try and get $50 out of me when the room I paid for was now not available.If you want the sand stay here,otherwise go some place else.Look harder for a hotel on the beach.Who ever said this place was great has no eyesight, no sense of smell, lives in a tent and does not mind old filthy dirty rooms for $225 a night!PLUS I got a ticket for parking on the road because the FREE parking was full, when they TOLD me to park on the road.

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2005

We booked several rooms for a family vacation and were treated like crap. The manager changed the rates on us after we had checked in and had no manners at all. The grounds were dirty, and were not clean for a party that we had reserved for on the main deck (4 months before). The second floor balcony was not up to code for children (they can easily fall through onto the pavement). Our room fan was missing a blade so it had a strange sound. Stains on the walls, carpets, and tile. The shower burned you everytime someone in the Motel flushed. The train and the guard station is extremley loud. Our TV did not work, tiles were missing from the floor in the bathroom and the bedding had holes in them (our comforter also had a blood stain right in the middle). The carpet always seemed to be wet. There were no sheets for our childs crib that we reserved. It was not clean at all. There were no clocks in the room. We were really dissapointed and left early to another Hotel in San Diego and took a shower. Although the beach and location is great, it felt like we were in a cheap hotel in Mexico. New management is a must (people skills and someone who actually wants to help you) and they need to do something with their rooms. Yuck.

• Stayed October 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

My family will never return to this motel! The location is great, right on the beach, but the rooms are awful! My child's feet were black after playing barefoot in the room. I looked under the bed, and to my disgust, I found a used cotton swab, dirty tissues, more trash, and lots of dust bunnies. The bathroom seemed like a moldy public restroom, including hair from previous occupants. The television could only receive one channel, and it was fuzzy. There was no clock. We paid $239.00 a night for this! Camping would be cleaner!

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Del Mar Motel on the Beach and had one of the worst hotel experiences ever. All we had wanted was a restful nights sleep and what we got was an awful motel. I booked the hotel online and paid 90 USD for one night. After a day at the beach all I wanted was a nice bath and a nice nap before going out for the night. We got to the motel and got into our rooms only to realize there was no bath and the shower resembled the public showers at beaches. The towels were clean, but very scratchy and cheap. We tried to take a nap but it is somewhat hard when there is a train running by every hour that is so loud I felt my bed shake. When we got back from the bars that night we were angry to see that the FREE parking was all taken and we had to hunt for a spot on the street. In the morning I woke up to our neighbors loud noises, Corn blasting from a radio outside, and the train running by at 7:30 AM!!! The hotel gave me a sore back, no sleep, and no bath.

• Stayed May 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2004

We almost missed a great weekend by reading the other reviews. Since we were there last weekend, let me tell you how it really is!

1. There was no funky smell. In fact, the room smelled clean and fresh.
2. The lamp shades were not cracked and melted.
3. The space heater was new and very legal, and not even needed.
4. There is an ocean view from the window in some of the rooms. They never advertised all of the rooms have an ocean view from the window. Just open the door and look down the corridor like the photos show.
5. The water in the shower never fluctuated when I was in the shower.
6. The towels were bright white and smelled fresh and clean.
7. There was no ants in the room anywhere.
8. The parking was no problem at all and there are wheelchair ramps.
9. The train stops by 10pm or so and doesn't start up again until around 8am. If you are a light sleeper like I am, just turn on the fan on the air conditioner unit and it will drown out the train whistle.
10. The room is huge and the king sized bed was way good.
11. There is 2 excellent restaurants right next door that are also ocean front. You can sit at a table outside and watch the surf or eat inside with a beautiful, lighted view of the surf. Very romantic!
12. Like who cares if there is cable or not. We came there to see the ocean, not watch TV, and this is one of very few hotels/motels that are right on the sand. Clearly this motel is the best price for an ocean front room, and all the amenities listed are exactly true. And for all those who come to watch TV, a new satellite system is being installed.

The manager and staff were so friendly and accomodating. We loved it so much we're going back in December.

Phoenix, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2004

This was to be our first real vacation in 17 years 5 days on the beach. We were out of there in 20 min. The only heat was a portable space heater you plugged in (are those even legal), cracked and melted lamp shades, a funky smell, no cable and the only ocean view was if you leaned as far as you could to look out the corner of your window. At $116.00 a night I expected so much more. I was delighted I could get in BW.

• Stayed December 2003

Been to Del Mar Motel on the Beach? Share your experiences!