“Lovely Hilton” 5 of 5 stars

Experience the Track!
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
“Lovely Hilton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My husband's company recently hosted their kick off conference at the Del Mar Hilton. We were really impressed with the makeover this Hilton has received. The rooms are really pleasant and nicely furnished. Our room overlooked the pool area and was very large. We were particularly impressed with the lobby area. Beautiful carpeting and a great stylish look. Good value for money.

Breakfast was beautifully presented. Really great!

The most impressive part of the Hilton Del Mar are the staff. Everyone is incredibly helpful and can't do enough for the guests. I shouldn't have favourites BUT Michael on the valet staff was absolutely exceptional. I travel a lot and rarely have I met such an eloquent, hardworking and professional young man. In fact, I noticed that many staff members in more senior roles looked to Michael to help them when they didn't know the answer to something! I am genuinely impressed with Michael and think he should be promoted immediately - or be given a pay raise if that isn't possible!

Nowhere is without fault and I think my only criticism of the hotel was that somehow the bar area lacked ambience. It could be so much nicer - the decor and everything is fine, just lacking somehow. Also, it sometimes was hard to find a bar staff member and i think that area should be staffed at all times for the guests.

I will look forward to my visit next year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
mims florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

After the Hilton Auckland, Conrad Hong Kong, Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu we were back to USA reality. When we first started coming to USA 50 years ago service was all but the airlines in USA gave that up 20 years ago (we flew with 5 airlines last 2 months, all were excellent except the one USA one, American). Now I fear US hotels are losing service as well, compared with other countries. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom small, only one hot tub working, and the Executive Lounge had limited breakfast and canapes although a nice patio.Car parking was $17. The main restaurant was closed. The bar served a reasonable meal but ambience?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott S, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your response about your stay with us. As a very seasoned international traveler, your comments are especially welcome. I read our guest surveys and online posts each morning and take the comments and feedback very seriously. We are continuing our upgardes in the hotel, including elevating the ambience of the lounge as you point out. I welcome any additional thoughts you may have, as well as what you might like to see different from the food in our Club Lounge.

I appreciate your time and your valuable business. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist with any of the services here at the Hilton San Diego / Del Mar.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Everything about the Hilton Del Mar was perfect. I would stay there again and again and would recommend it to others. The facilities, staff and rooms were beautiful, clean and had a very warm feel. I felt so comfortable, safe and taken care of while at the Hilton Del Mar starting the second we were greeted at the valet.

• Stayed January 2013
Scott S, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind response about your stay with us. I am very pleased you enjoyed your time with us here in Del Mar. I read our guest surveys and online posts each morning and take the comments and feedback very seriously. And you even did the survey from your phone?!

The team works hard to ensure our guests are indeed welcomed and have that warm sense of home while here. We want everyone to come to our hotel and relax - we will take care of every need.

Ventura, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

On a quick trip down to Solano Beach,CA for business I grabbed a room reservation at this Hilton. We just leased major office space and needed a place where we can put people on a regular basis. This is not it. Upon arrival it seemed very nice. Close to the Del Mar Race Track with a very large open central area. Nice waterfalls, seating etc. What is not so nice is its proximity to the interstate. The first room assigned was on the second floor in the back on the outside. It is a long walk all the way to the back only to realize your room is as close to the interstate freeway as 50 feet. Not good. I trudged all the way back to the desk and asked if the hotel was very full. No, was the answer. Why place me so far away and so close to the noise? Almost all the king rooms are in the back facing out away from the beautiful landscaping, pool and peaceful quiet. The face the most well traveled freeway in the world. Nope. Not me. The clerk was a very nice young man and found a second room that was not in the back. It turned out to be a handicap room, possibly part of a two room suite. Very large and open. Minimal furniture (one chair) plus a desk and furnishings on the wall. OK it is one night. The rugs had some stains and a connecting doorway confirming my thoughts of a part of a suite. It overlooked a trailer parking lot for the racetrack. Lovely. The air was off so the fan blew warm air. If you open the window the freeway noise and trailer park noise was massive. I chose the fan which clattered and banged all night.

Maybe the rooms on the inside are nicer. I will never know as after a long night with little sleep, I wont be back.

Room Tip: Give up on the king and take an interior facing queen
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Scott S, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for your response about your stay with us. I read our guest surveys and online posts each morning and take the comments and feedback very seriously. I apologize for the challenges and noise issues you faced during your stay. We actually have many king rooms as well as queen rooms facing our beautiful interior courtyard and pool. During high occupancy it can be difficult to meet the many view requests and I know that our proxiomity to the interstate can be a double edged sword: easy access to and from but occasionally loud during peak traffic.

I am glad you found the hotel nice and our service friendly. Please do try us again, especially later in the year after we complete Phase 2 of our renoavtion, where we will place all new furniture in the rooms, update the guest bathrooms and really elevate the landscaping. All room views will be nicely improved.

Carbondale, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Beautiful hotel with updated and clean accommodations. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. A great way to start the day! Food at the bar was excellent. Thank you Hilton Del Mar for upholding the Hilton brand.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the courtyard with pool is a nice view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Scott S, General Manager at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Rebecca,

Chatsworth, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I came down to San Diego from Los Angeles for a weekend get-a-way and was pleasantly surprised by comfort, amenities, and decor of Hilton Del Mar. The staff was great, the rooms were VERY NICE and much more spacious than most Hilton locations. I highly recommend this location for travelers visiting the area.

Room Tip: Corner suites with pool view are best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Curtis,

Thank you for your kind response about your stay with us. I am very pleased you enjoyed your time with us here in Del Mar. I read our guest surveys and online posts each morning and take the comments and feedback very seriously. You are right - our pool view suites are pretty terrific.

Columbus, Oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My sister got married on the beach in Del Mar so we stayed in the Hilton the night before because it was 8 minutes away from the sight. The receptionist helped us book our room over the phone when we were driving from the base (my sister is a marine). When we got to the hotel they showed us how to access the hotel from where we parked our car and were very helpful. Later on in the evening, I called the front desk to ask for a late check-out because we were getting ready in the room and the wedding was not till 1:30pm. No problem they told me. I asked how much a roll-a-way bed cost and they give it to us for free. This was perfect because everyone in the room was able to have their own bed. A little later they sent complimentary champagne.The next day I took pictures of my sister around the hotel (which is gorgeous by the way) and the staff was lovely. Overall, the Hilton was AMAZING and helped to make my sister's day even that much better. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind response about your stay with us. I am very pleased you enjoyed your time with us here in Del Mar. I read our guest surveys and online posts each morning and take the comments and feedback very seriously. What a special treat for us to host family for your sister's wedding. Your comments regarding our service and our staff are very appreciated.

Scott Sloan

Been to Hilton San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!