“Great area,great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Experience the Track!
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Del Mar
“Great area,great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011 via mobile

We spent 2 nights @ the hilton. The hotel is really in a great location.the beach is within walking distance,so are many places to eat. The only draw back is the fees,parking is 17 bucks a day, dining in house was to costly,you would be better off walking elsewhere. Rooms are nice and big.bathroom is also very spacious. We did get the room on priceline for less then 60% of normal rate. Wouldn't pay full price,but any discounted amount is fair

• Stayed June 2011
ChrisLott, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I will make sure that you comments are brought to our management. In the meantime we do also provide packaged rates that include parking and internet for your convenience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Del Mar, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Del Mar the night of my wedding. I ordered a suite so that my bridesmaids and I could get ready at the hotel before the wedding. From the moment I arrived to the moment I left I felt so incredibly special. At least 5 staff members knew me by name and there was no task (brides are a lot of work) that they didn't take on with genuine enthusiasm. They helped me move rooms, checked me in early, emergency champagne, etc.. When my groom arrived in the room that evening there were chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. The next morning we ordered breakfast in bed and the food was delicious. I would be honored to be a guest at this hotel again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ChrisLott, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Melrene,

It was an honor to be apart of your special day! As crazy as a wedding days can get, you and everyone from your party were a joy to serve. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

The quality of the accommodations, the staff and the food was outstanding. I am not sure why the previous reviewers indicated the hotel needs refurbishing. It sppears to be in excellent shape to me. Yes, it is unpleasant to have to pay for parking. But really, given its location, it is a bargain

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
ChrisLott, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
MichaelInSF,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

I just finished a one day stay at the Hilton Del Mar while doing a business meeting nearby.

Like all the other reviews, I have to report back that this Hilton seems to have a balance of good and semi-annoying.

My guess is that the hotel was probably built in the late 80's or early 90's. The overall architecture reminds me of a gated community (not that this is a criticism… there are many access doors and gates that require hotel keycard access 24 hours a day and that probably adds to the secure feeling of the place).

There's a bit of a nickel & dime-ing factor going on here. The $17 per day self-parking charge was annoying. Does it really need to be that high even for guests who are already paying for an overnight stay? Internet isn't free (unless one is HHonors Gold or Diamond). That same HHonors elite status guarantees access to the "club lounge", which is open certain hours of the day (I didn't have the required status to get in, so I'm not sure how nice or well stocked it was). The only "free" thing that can be done in the business center is perhaps to print out a boarding pass; everything else is 50 cents per minute of use.

The rooms were pretty standard, for standard rooms. A room safe hidden in the closet along with an ironing board, iron and luggage stand. The maintenance issues in my room included a bathtub drain that took about 30 minutes to actually drain and a loose sink faucet that wasn't securely fastened to the sink. I reported these issues to the front desk (where they appeared to have a lengthly checklist of problems like these already filled out on their clipboard). Another room I spent some time in, an impressively small "Junior Suite", had an inoperable TV and the thermostat had clipped/cut off wires underneath the plastic cover, making the temperature uncontrollable during my hot & stuffy meeting. I have to wonder if there are maintenance issues to be found in every room? Hearing the news there's an upcoming renovation scheduled for the end of 2011 is definitely a welcome development. If you're traveling with Netflix DVD's and want to plug your computer into the TV to watch them, the TV's take standard component in cables, HDMI and SVideo inputs. There was a very nice looking & well stocked (weights, exercise balls, etc.) Precor-equipped fitness center across the hallway from the club lounge.

The pools in the center courtyard look very inviting and comfortable and I wish I had time to try them out. I didn't think the restaurant prices were all that unreasonable for a hotel. I did a quick lunch in the "Polo Lounge" (bar area) and the Mediterranean Salad was surprisingly well presented and delicious. I believe the Breakfast Buffet is $15 + tax (and probably also free for Hilton Gold & Diamond members), so if you see a rate where included breakfast is any more than $15 (per person) higher than the room rate without breakfast, you're better off going ala carte.

The front desk staff and the restaurant staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room rate of $149 seemed to be a decent deal until the extras (taxes, tourism fees, parking, etc.) got added up to create a stay of over $200 for the night.

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
ChrisLott, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
MichaelInSF,

Thank you for your comments, constructive criticism and for posting pictures of our property. You nailed the date of construction as we were built in 1989. We strive to improve every day and perform routine daily maintenance inspections to catch issues and improve our guest’s time with us. We will definitely look into the issues with the bathroom and thermostat but it would be helpful to know what room you stayed in to speed up the process of correcting the issue. If you would contact me directly I would greatly appreciate it. chris.lott@delmarhilton.com 858-764-6037

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

I agree with many of the other guests about the hotel not living up to the Hilton standard. I think it needs a major renovation, specifically in the guest rooms. We stayed on the first floor with a patio overlooking the pool, and it was nice, but the interior of the room furnishings and wall coverings are very dated and a bit on the shoddy side. In our room we had a lampshade that had seen better days. It had been knocked over at some point and was dented and dirty looking. The shower smelled like mold and I could see it in the corner of the shower stall, I could also see the remnants of the previous occupant's soap bar in the soap dish which had extremely rusted wall screws holding it to the wall. The shower head is movable and someone had pushed it back against the wall. I had to actually grab the shower head and pull it out to the proper angle; as I did so I could see the plumbing pipe moving, not good. The dinner I had in the bar area was okay. The breakfast was okay. We paid $159 per night plus $17 per day parking and think for those prices just outside of San Diego it was a decent deal. If you are traveling with your children/family to see San Diego it has enormous space where the kids can use the pool and the parents would have plenty of places outside and inside to sit and chat. If it had been cleaner and modernized I would have loved it for the sheer space, location, outside gardens and beauty. I bet in its heyday that this was a real showplace, but not now. The staff does live up to the Hilton standard. Everyone I encountered was extremely nice and helpful and made me very comfortable in my stay. If it had it been more modern, and definitely been cleaner I would have loved it, but maybe they will work on renovating and cleaning.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
ChrisLott, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
LivetoTravel1066,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We strive to improve every day and perform routine daily maintenance and cleaning inspections to catch issues and improve our guest’s time with us. We will definitely look into the issues with the lamp shade and bathroom but it would be helpful to know what room you stayed in to speed up the process of correcting the issues. We are scheduled for a renovation at the end of 2011 and we look forward to welcoming you back!

chris.lott@delmarhilton.com
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Hotel was nice enough, clean enough, pretty enough, but given it's location, the $17 parking charge is an annoyance that I would avoid. This isn't an urban area and feels like another tax. Be thankful you have tourists. When 99% arrive of them arrive in a car and are unfamiliar with the area, ripping them off cannot be a lasting strategy. Hilton, please include it in your base price. If you like suggestions, there's one for you to implement! Please run with it. Otherwise, it was a comfortable, pleasant place to stay with friendly staff and a not too distant highway drive from San Diego. An easy fix would go along way. Not interested in a parking package either...

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
ChrisLott, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear Uniballer,

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your feedback on parking. Although we are not located in downtown it is a common practice in our area to charge for parking due to the proximity to the Del Mar fairgrounds and Event Center. The fee maintains a safe, controlled and convenient parking area for our guests. However, we will consider your thoughts because in no way do we want our guests to feel taxed by this incidental fee. Although you mentioned that you are not interested in a package deal it is a very cost effective way to handle these charges.

Vail, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

This Hotel does not equate with the name "Hilton" this could be an older "Best Western". Although, they accept dogs, the one redeeming factor. Parking is $17.00, internet is $10.00, in a world of free WIFI....give me a break!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ChrisLott, Director of Sales at Hilton San Diego/Del Mar, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Cooperblue,

Thank you for your constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better. We truly appreciate the increased rating on our cleanliness as we strive to provide a clean and safe environment for every guest with every stay. We also provide packaged rates that include parking and internet for your convenience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chris Lott

Been to Hilton San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!