“Company of Integrity” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SkySurfer Balloon Co.

SkySurfer Balloon Co.
2658 Del Mar Heights Road #198, Del Mar, CA 92014
(858) 481-6800
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: A Hot Air Balloon Company doing sunrise trips in Temecula and sunset trips in Del Mar
memphis, tennessee
4 attraction reviews
“Company of Integrity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Something that often goes unnoticed or unappreciated in the world of consumer business and especially the business of travel and tourism.

I'm planning a trip for my wife and me to Southern California and was making specific plans when I cam across SkySurfer Co. My wife is pregnant so I thought it was a good idea to email them and ask if it's okay for her to fly.

The company responded with a pleasant but urgent email asking me to reconsider - it's not advisable. The respondent then went into a brief explanation about why.

For all intents and purposes, there was no reason for this. They could easily have dismissed any concern or downplayed it's importance, simply to make money. Sadly, I'm afraid there are fewer and fewer companies like this.

So while I can't specifically recommend SkySurfer Balloon Co. based on experience, I certainly recommend this company based on integrity - and when you're flying through the air in a balloon...I'd say that's a pretty important thing!

Visited February 2014

Newport Beach, California
“Anniversary Ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I surprised my wife of 51 years with a Balloon ride over Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe. The trip was as good as it gets. The Balloon crew was very personal and professional. I would recommend this ride to any of my friends.

Clearwater, Florida
56 attraction reviews
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a beyond awesome first time hot air balloon experience! Our pilot Tim was great and very knowledgeable about ballooning. The basket has little foot holes in the side to act as a ladder, which was good. For some reason, the procedure for getting into the basket never crossed my mind! The initial ascent was a little unnerving, but once we were at our cruising altitude of about 3000 feet, it wasn’t as scary. The views were phenomenal and extremely beautiful. We were in the air for about 90 minutes, through sunset (time in the air depends very much on the wind). For not having any way to steer the balloon, we landed on a dime (very gently, I might add) at the end of our tour. It was an incredibly impressive experience and I would recommend it to anyone.

*I would recommend bringing a hat to shield the top of your head from the heat. The "hot air" part of the balloon is very, very warm and right above your head.
*Also make sure you stop for a bathroom before you leave. The total tour (from set up to tear down) can be about 3 hours!

San Diego
35 attraction reviews
“Wonderful anniversary experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We just went on the Del Mar sunset flight and used a groupon.. We had to rebook this flight three times as the company informed us they look for near perfect weather conditions before going up.We thought this is a good sign! You are requested to provide your weight as this indicates how many individuals can go in the "basket" that day.They request you call the office for a weather update the day of your flight, about 3-4 hours before the scheduled flight time which varies throughout the year for sunrise and sunset flights. Then they give you a meeting spot in a convenient and well marked location where you leave your vehicle, they check you in and bring you to the take off location.Prior to leaving for the flight location, they direct you to a bathroom and the surface crew go over details in advance and you meet the pilot.We then met other flight companions and off we went in a clean ,comfortable van with balloon and passenger basket in tow.
You arrive at a pretty open and desolate location where a test helium balloon is released to watch for wind conditions. The balloon is filled by the land crew while the pilot goes over safety issues.He explains how you have to climb in and out of the basket and offered to lay the basket down if you feel you are unable to climb in. The basket had foot steps to get over the appox'ly 4 foot high climb. They offered water and soda throughout the time. The champagne was saved for the flight. A sign was hung on the basket for those celebrating birthdays or anniversary occasions with plenty of photo opps..
Off we went with other balloons over the Del Mar Fairbanks ranch area overlooking gorgeous mansions and private lush green golf courses.Our pilot pointed out several sites along the way.The sun sets behind us as we made our way north. You are in the air about 50 minutes.Total time from start to finish as you have to wait for the ground crew to collect the now deflated balloon was about 3 hours as you land in a different location from the start point but not far from your dropped off car location..It was peaceful and mostly quiet. The only negative was it was a warm day and the heat from the burners( you have to heat the air in the massive balloon to get loft) was intense, thus encouraged to drink a lot of water offered throughout the flight.Our pilot told us stories on the history of balloning while the crew collected and loaded the equipment
Having been our first flight, we found the crew efficient, thorough,accomodating and I would go again in a heart beat!

NJ
14 attraction reviews
“A great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

So we were coming to the San Diego area for a short vacation for my boyfriend's birthday and asked him what he would want to do while we were there. He saw some videos on youtube and picked this. After some research we picked this company. We did the Del Mar Sunset ride.

Along with my boyfriend and I, we were almost at full capacity in their largest basket (could hold up to 16 people + the pilot) at 14 people + the pilot. The group that went on with us were nice and everyone enjoyed the pretty relaxing trip. The only shaky parts were of course take off and landing.
It was much hotter than I thought it would be (due to the "hot air" part of the ballooning experience) so I'm glad I left my cardigan in the van we came in.
Other than that it felt like "nothing" and it was a surreal experience to be that high and see everything below us.
They give complementary champagne, soda, or water while up there and if you brought wine, they'll serve that to you also.

Had a lot of fun and my boyfriend was very happy with his birthday experience.

Visited September 2012