“We loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Davis
Carlsbad, CA
“We loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for two nights when we brought our daughter up to UC Davis. It was the only hotel with rooms available, and after reading reviews here I was not expecting much. Boy were we surprised! We loved it here. The staff was friendly, the beds were comfortable, and the location was very convenient. There were many places to eat within walking distance, and there is a movie theater directly across the street. We enjoyed the evening happy hour and the breakfast in the morning. We thought the whole experience was enjoyable and comfortable. We will be back!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

I stayed at this hotel 2 nights for a meeting I had on the UC Davis campus. My room was large, included a fridge and plasma TV, and had a very comfortable bed (and I am very picky about beds!). The hotel was clean, and is centrally located. The free breakfast is about what you would expect (some cereal, toast, omelettes made to order) but was fine. I have no complaints.

• Liked — Beds were very comfortable, and the location was great
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Avon, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

We stayed at the Hallmark Inn for two nights, June 26-27, 2008. The room was quiet and comfortable with nice amenities. The location in the center of Davis is very convenient to shopping and restaurants. Next to the hotel is Seasons Restaurant and we had great cocktails and dinner there - everything was very fresh and creative with outstanding service. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was good, but crowded both days we were there. There was an omelet station in addition to the waffles. Hotel staff was friendly, housekeeper was efficient - room was made up quickly. All in all a nice stay and a good choice when visiting Davis.

• Liked — location in center of Davis
  • Disliked — no room safes
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
San Jose, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

This place is so overpriced its ridiculous. We're paying $177/night, and it's such a dump. There are stains on the carpet, it smells funny, the paint is peeling, there are water stains everywhere. It's 90 degrees here and the room is sweltering- the air conditioner sucks. This was literally the only hotel in Davis where we could find a room, and I am not surprised now that I see the place.
The staff are nice, and there is parking at least. Other than that, I feel so ripped off.

• Liked — The nice woman at check-in.
  • Disliked — The room.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

We stayed at the Hallmark Inn for one night. We had a junior suite on the third floor. It was spacious and clean; the carpet had some spots. The bed was comfortable. The train tracks are right behind the hotel, I only heard a train once during the night and it did not bother us. We heard it multiple times in the morning when we were up. I like the sound of trains, :-)
We went to the reception in the evening and had a drink. Nice touch.
We had breakfast at the hotel and it was good.
The staff was friendly and nice. Parking was no problem. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

I had to go to Davis on business including meetings held at this hotel. The place smells moldy both in the hallways and the sleeping rooms. The staff seems to be all college kids who are pleasant but have no idea what hotel service should be.
I carry a water tester with me as I travel world-wide. Suffice it to say after testing it I would not drink the hotel water or brush my teeth with it. Our meeting room was also moldy/mildew smelling with an uneven floor.
Completely unsatisfactory.

Stayed November 2007
Roseville, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

we had a group reservation at this hotel for my wedding party, and experienced problem after problem before and now still after the wedding. They lost our contract for the group, threatened to drop all of our reservations less than a month before the wedding, and then wrote up a new contract with different rules. The staff was horribly rude, my new husband and I were trying to ask questions about checkout and the lady never made eye contact and even went into their back room and shut the door when I was in mid-question, then when she came back we got to enjoy a nice lecture about how we should not be late for checkout. Now more than a month later they have sent us a bill charging us for two extra nights that we did not stay. This hotel is like a bad disease that just won't go away. Take my advise and stay somewhere else in Davis ... if there isn't anything else just drive the 6 miles in either direction ... to west sacramento or dixon and avoid a nightmare.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HallmarkInn, General Manager at Hallmark Inn at UC Davis, responded to this review, July 27, 2007
Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay at the Hallmark Inn, Davis. From your account the experience was unacceptable and definitely not our standard. I would like to have the opportunity to address your concerns.
Please feel free to contact me directly at #800-753-0035 Monday through Friday at your convenience.
Marisa Schaffer, General Manager

Been to Hallmark Inn at UC Davis? Share your experiences!