“Just O.K.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Davis
Portland, Oregon
“Just O.K.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel itself is pretty nice with a nice lobby, modern room and comfortable bedding, but my experience there was not great. At 2 a.m., the fire alarm went off and I exited the hotel. I stood outside with some other guests, but there was no hotel employee to let us know what was happening. After a few minutes, the alarm was silent and we returned to our rooms- no employee was ever seen during this time. At breakfast the next morning, the space was chaotic. You have to order your breakfast at the counter and there was a long line. There was nowhere to sit for the first 5 minutes after I had ordered. Also, not all of the offerings are included and they were selling the other items (drinks, pastries, etc.). I waited for about 30 minutes and finally asked to have my breakfast wrapped to go, since I had to leave. So, not a bad hotel, but not one that I would be excited about a return visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HallmarkInn, General Manager at Hallmark Inn at UC Davis, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
On behalf of the team at the Hallmark Inn I must apologize that you were not informed that the alarm was a false one as one of our International Guests thought the "Pull Station" would bring an attendant to her room....of course it did much more. By the time the Security walked the area after being given the all clear most guests had returned to their rooms. We have transitioned to an independent owner of the Cafe 110 so you will be finding a new variety has been added to our selections with coffee and juice included for our overnight guests. I hope you give us an opportunity of a future stay-
Sincerely, Marisa Schaffer

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Yuba City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I happened to stay at the Hallmark Inn on a night when they were having some sort of annual wine tasting event. There was free beer and wine, incredible hors d'oeuvres, and a really fun atmosphere. The room my wife and I were in was clean and comfortable. The hotel is situated in the heart of downtown Davis so we were within walking distance of many fine restaurants (in case the free food didn't fill us up). Another plus is that there is a movie theater situated directly across the street. We took advantage of that and caught a flick before retiring to a pleasant and quiet slumber. Free breakfast in the morning was the icing on the cake!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hallmark Inn during our Fall Welcome Reception held annually in conjunction with the September 2nd Friday ArtAbout in Davis. We like to showcase to visitors and community the wonderful creations that local artists, wineries and chefs have created to enhance our hotel. The wine and beer you sampled that evening was all produced in the Yolo County region which we also offer each evening in our lounge along with some incredible hors d' oeuvres from Seasons Restaurant located right here on our property. I am glad you enjoyed the party and accommodations.....we hope to have you visit us again soon! Sincerely, Marisa Schaffer
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Loved this cool little inn where I stayed with my three kids on our recent visit to tour UC Davis with my oldest son. Complimentary bikes an awesome perk that kicked off a great afternoon biking through town and on path through the University area. Capped that off with great happy hour --wine and sodas, plus munchies -- and easy walk to a bazillion choices of ethnic fare and adventurous dinner. Staff was always gracious and accommodating. Complimentary breakfast lovely and generous. This would be my regular stay if UC Davis is in our future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Our location is a great place to park and then run, bike or walk around to experience the Davis Community....thank you for sharing! I am glad you found the staff, breakfast, lounge services and accommodations to your liking. There are some wonderful galleries as well so you have something new to view should you have the chance to visit us again- Sincerely, Marisa Schaffer
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our daughter has just started an Internship at Davis University and we stayed at Hallmark Inn in Davis. Our stay was for 5 nights and it was most enjoyable. The location is right down town so you can walk to many of the outdoor coffee shops and restaurants. Also the Market that is held twice a week is just a few blocks away. The inn was very nice with a pool and included breakfast and complimentary evening drinks at the bar. The staff was always very helpful, and we will be staying there again when ever we go to visit our daughter. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Stay away from the train tracks if possible but not a big problem.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of the team at the Hallmark Inn Davis, Thank you for sharing your experience. Be sure to take advantage of our UC Davis Family rate when you come back to visit your daughter!! We look forward to seeing you in the future- Sincerely, Marisa Schaffer
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I had to travel to Davis as my Portuguese Water Dog required surgery at the UC Davis Vet Center. From the moment we arrived, everyone at the hotel was wonderful to us and to our dog. A gift basket from the hotel management awaited her arrival and they went out of their way to accomodate us. I was under a great deal of stress as this was a high risk surgery (hence the trip from Burbank to Davis), but Marissa and her staff did everything to make it as comfortable as possible for me while my dog was in the vet hospital. She had an employee move me to a non dog friendly room when Duffy was admitted to Davis; everyone of her staff signed a card for Duffy, and more gifts for my dog and a bottle of wine for me were extra special treats.
The rooms were very clean, and this is a critique coming from a very germ phobic person. The bedding was exceptionally clean and comfortable, and they actually use fitted sheets which is a nice change from the usual flat sheet that pulls out from the mattress in the middle of the night. I cannot comment on the pillows as I travel with my own chiro pillow, but I didn't notice them being particularly flattened out. The hotel is right smack downtown, so it has the advantage of shops, restaurants, and movie theaters. One draw back is that it is right across the street from the railroad depot, so the first night the train whistles were disturbing, but by the 2nd night I didn't even hear them. I am not a big breakfast eater; usually a toasted bagel and coffee do the trick. The cafe had wonderful coffee, but no bread products, only sweet rolls. I understand that the cafe is undergoing revisions of the menu this week, so this may be resolved as of this writing.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room in the newer building on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool. It is away from...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
On behalf of the entire team at the Hallmark Inn Davis I want to thank you for sharing your experience while staying with us. We are all very happy that Duffy made it through a successful surgery and recovery. A few of our team are a part of the UC Davis Vet Med program so they were especially pleased that Duffy did so well. I am also happy to report that with the transition of the Cafe 110 to an independent establishment they are now offering additional selections that also accommodates your request for bread items. We look forward to the opportunity of future stay where you and Duffy can explore the wonderful parks here in Davis- Sincerely Marisa Schaffer
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is centrally located which makes it perfect! Close to shops, restaurants etc. The staff was nice. As for the overall stay, the rooms were nice, comfortable beds, fluffy pillows. The breakfast is so-so, there isn't a big variety to really choose from for entrees. And you can only select certain foods.
If you travel with certain medications that need to be refrigerated or have to warm up a formula or reheat your meals. You are out of luck as this hotel does not have these type of amenities. Some people complain about the train whistle, but others such as myself enjoy hearing it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for selecting the Hallmark Inn Davis for your overnight accommodations. Our location is wonderful for walking &/or bicycling around. We have recently made a change that will enhance our breakfast options to add more variety. Some of our rooms are equipped with microwave and mini refrigerators so please let us know in advance if you require these so we can make the necessary arrangements. We look forward to the opportunity of a future stay- Sincerely Marisa Schaffer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

New pool mural is huge and reflects Davis' tradition of art for everyone's enjoyment. Clean, nicely appointed lobby. Ample and delicious breakfast which was free. Plus they loan you bikes and helmets so you can move around Davis like a native.

• Stayed August 2013
On behalf of the Hallmark Inn Davis team I would like to say Thank you for selecting us for your overnight accommodations. The mural you referenced was created by local artist Stephanie Taylor showcasing her vision of Yolo County from Davis towards Winters. If you are looking for a great all day trip on bicycles, the town of Winters would be a wonderful excursion. We look forward to your continued patronage- Sincerely, Marisa Schaffer

Been to Hallmark Inn at UC Davis? Share your experiences!