“Okay for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 25%
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Davis
“Okay for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

If you're looking for a quick and inexpensive place to stay, this is it. The hotel property is ample for a quick stay, but it's very simple and seems old, so this is not a place you'd want to hang around all day. Room and bathroom is okay, beds seemed old like the springs were shot, and we had a laugh over the pillows- they look like tiny square baby pillows- asked if they had regular or king sized pillows and they did not. Have never seen a place use these types of pillows! This place is cheap, compared to other places right in the downtown area, but it is very basic so don't expect a lot. Parking is a plus, since it is very hard to find any free parking in town. It was also very quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevator, as elevators are old and noisy
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Quick overnight to Davis for a college visit. Room was worn and smaller than expected. We requested the largest room available and it was tight for three people. Breakfast was minimal and not well stocked. I would stay again for one night if needed. The price was lower than other hotels in the immediate area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thousand Oaks, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Will NEVER stay here again. When we arrived, there was a bucket with a string hanging from the ceiling due to a leak. Not very classy. When you own a business, sometimes you have to pay to have repairs made - even if it's a Saturday. After we left, my husband confessed that he found a HUGE cockroach in the bathroom at 2am. We used to live in the south-eastern US so we've seen big roaches. He said it was the biggest one he had ever seen. He tried to squish it with tissues, but alas, he failed and it got away. If I would have found it, I would have screamed and immediately checked out. Next trip to Davis, we will NOT be staying at La Quinta Inn.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Tustin, Calif
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We were up in Davis to tour the university for my son. We wanted a relatively inexpensive hotel with basic amenities, close to campus, and something clean & quiet. We were very satisfied here and would definitely stay here the next time. The price was reasonable with our AAA discount (about $81/night before taxes off the LaQuinta site). The room was clean and quiet. (We did not stay on the freeway side!!!!) The free breakfast was okay - waffles, various bagels & pastries, juice, (tasty) coffee, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs. (At the price I paid, I had no expectations to a hot buffet table.) One day I really wanted some fresh cooked eggs & bacon, so I ran over to the nearby Del Taco and picked up a couple breakfast burritos. (There is also an Applebees nearly next door.)

The hotel staff was friendly. The service staff was excellent. The location was excellent. Close to downtown and the university (still both a short drive away). It's next to the freeway so getting on the freeway was a dream - and an inexpensive Chevron gas station is at the corner.
We rented a king room with a couch/sofa bed. Our son stayed on the sofa bed and we stayed in the king bed. He complained a bit about the sofa bed being slightly uncomfortable. (But what do you expect from an inexpensive & small sofa bed?) With that many people in the room (3), we were very comfortable when the bed was folded up into a couch. Honestly, if you have 4 people, the room is going to be very crowded.

I agree with other reviewers that the internet was very, very slow. It seemed to be only wi-fi (no direct Ethernet cable) so I felt less secure doing any kind of real password-protected work. So the slow internet wasn't a big deal for me. I ended up using my data phone's connection for email and other stuff.

By the way. I'm starting to be in the habit now of leaving a small tip ($5 in my case) on the first day I'm there (we were there 2 nights) with a note to the cleaning staff. (Make sure if you leave a tip to add a note so there is no question in their mind that the tip is for them.) I wanted to make sure I had an extra set of towels and such for our 3rd person. Worked like a charm. Remember the staff is often overworked and usually underpaid. Leaving a tip seems to be appreciated (and deserved). And if you leave it on the first day - rather than when you leave, I think you'll see better service while you are there.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Temecula, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I was in town for an annual Car show in Davis and the enjoyed the stay along with a number of our club members. The parking lot was ample enough to hold a number of other cars being entered in the car show along with the hotel guests. There's a couple of reataurants nearby and a gas station as well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

tahoe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Our daughter lives and teaches school at Davis and we visited her for her 25th birthday. Dog friendly is the key here. You get what you pay for. The hotel is old but clean. The breakfast is not special but adequate. The pool and hot tub are there for looks as you can't use it until after eleven A.M. The staff was pleasant. Nothing to note to make it special. The price was in line for Davis. If it were in West Sacramento it would be twenty dollars cheaper for location. The internet is very slow. The shower was hot.

Room Tip: Our room was near the elevator and I kept thinking that I had a message on my cell phone until I rea...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

This hotel has a great proximity to the UC Davis campus. The staff was very helpful. The internet needs upgrading. If you need high speed internet for working this may not be the location. The rooms were clean and the hotel was quiet.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business