“Smelly and dirty” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Davis
Davis Bed & Breakfast Inn
422 A Street, Davis, CA 95616   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Davis B&B and Inns
Boston
“Smelly and dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

I arrived after the front lobby is closed (8 pm) and upon entering my assigned room found that it smells like urine. The chair and area rugs in the room were stained beyond belief, as were the breadspreads and a skirt around the sink. I actually trekked to a convenience store to buy air-freshener sprays, which were not very helpful. I asked for a different room the next morning, and it was slightly better but still musty smelling. The sheets were still dirty.

The breakfast was cooked to order and was good, and the staff courteous.

If you're going on UC Davis business search for "conference housing" on the university website. It's miles better and much cheaper.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Very dirty and smelly
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
San diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

This is a fairly basic bed and breakfast. My room was comfortable, but could stand some TLC. The sink was in the main room and the bathroom was rather small. Bed was comfortable and even with the cold weather, the small portable radiator was adequate to heat the room.

By far the best thing was the breakfast. A friendly college student was there to make to order whatever I liked and it was excellent. A small but nice selection of fruits and pastries along with coffee and juice was available also.

I admit that when I travel I don't put too much emphasis on the accomodations as I am there to visit the city and not the B&B. I would stay there again if visiting the university as it was sufficient to fulfill my needs.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bay Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

I just got back from my first trip to Davis - took my daughter there for a college tour. The web site looked so lovely, but this place is really disgusting. When you walk into the house, it smells like gas and mold - really musty. I asked to use the bathroom, which was tiny and dirty. It was right behind the kitchen, which was unkempt. I knew right then I wouldn't eat the breakfast - I'm sure it's not up to health codes. Then we went to our room, which looked okay, though very tired and worn. There was dust on all the furniture, stains on the comforter, blood stains on the bathroom floor, and - no joke - the decorated pillows had pubic hairs all over them. I was nauseated. The only reason we didn't change hotels is that it was late and we were exhausted, but we should have left. I got 2 hrs of sleep because I was so wigged out by the filth. I called the owner today and told her she should be ashamed that she actually charges people to stay there. The only good feature is that there's parking in the back, and it's impossible to find parking in Davis!

Stayed October 2007

Travelers are raving about these Davis hotels

Clovis, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

I wrote an earlier review covering a quite pleasent stay at the Davis Inn, but have since stayed there twice more and had problems both times.

I booked two large upstairs rooms for Memorial Day weekend, making the booking in December. I chatted with the woman on the phone about the date, talking about how we needed to make the reservation so early in order to secure the date for the holiday weekend. They don't send email or hard-copy confirmations, so the only proof I had of the rate I was quoted was the note I wrote in my PDA.

I was traveling with my two teenage daughters, and arrived on Friday to find the shower/tub combo in their room didn't work. We talked to the staff immediately, but it wasn't repaired until Sunday morning, just before we left. Luckily they were able to shower in my room.

There were a number of younger (10-12) aged children there with parents for a soccer tournament. All seemed rather well behaved, yet two fo the staff members made it abundantly clear they were irritated with the children's presence. Tea and cookies are offered in the lobby in the afternoon, and evidently they ran out of cookies. I know this because there was a large note to the owner from the staff member posted prominently on the stairway railing that read "Dear Jennifer, We need more cookies. Our LOVELY CHILD GUESTS have eaten them all up." I found that quite rude.

Upon checking out I was floored to find my bill was several hundred dollars higher than what I have been quoted. The young man who completed the transaction had no idea why, so I contacted the owner by email. She told me the person who took the reservation didn't realize it was Memorial Day weekend (despite our conversation about just that) and that she had quoted me last year's non-holiday rate because they had not yet set up their 2007 ledger book when I called. I pointed out that was a staff issue, and not my problem as a guest. The rate I was charged was almost $100 a night higher for two nights in two rooms. It was an unpleasant surprise. The owner refunded the difference, but it took several emails and several weeks.

We booked the Terrace Room for a weekend in late July, purposely asking several times about the correct rate for the room. Despite that, when we arrived for that weekend and went to check in, the staff member quoted me a room cost that was $50 higher than when I reserved the room, telling me the rate I was quoted (which was written in their ledger by my name) was the weekday rate and did not include the third person in my room. I was furious and walked out the back door to find another hotel. After a moment she followed me to say the owner said to charge me the rate I was quoted. When I questioned the $25 a night charge for the third person in a room bedded for four, she simply said that was their policy. I accepted the discount only because it was a busy weekend and I could not find another hotel room in Davis or Dixon. Had one been availabe I would have left and not checked in.

Also, as noted in several other reviews, the downstairs rooms are not nice. My stays before had always been upstairs in the quaint and well decorated rooms. The downstairs rooms are dark and look like someone's guest room in 1974. Sure, funky is fine, but the room rates in this inn have risen almost 30% in the past year and Grandma's funky 70's room is not worth the cost. The lobby was always quite cute but the owner, who used to live upstairs, recently moved out and took most of the furniture with her. Now it's just rather empty and a little sad. There is nothing to encourage sitting and relaxing. Of course, this probably saves them on cookies.

I gave them a second chance after my Memorial Day experience because I have always been happy with my stays there before, but I won't stay again. Same bad service, same misquote of rates twice in a row is not coincidence, it is a pattern.

If you do stay, reserve an upstairs room and insist they send you an email or hard copy confirmation of your rate, then bring it with you.

• Liked — The location is great.
  • Disliked — Repeated poor service.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vashon Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed in the back room (terrace?)on the alley and I was happy with it. Smelled fine, was clean, bed was comfortable. Yes there were a few stains and smudges on the walls and comforter but only noticeable if you look hard enough. It had all been washed. Bathroom was tiny but bathtub was big and had hot water. Quiet at night. Had a car. EZ and free parking in back of Inn.Didn't have breakfast there. Ate over at the Best Western where the dinner and breakfast, which my son and I split, was plentiful, good, and inexpensive. Great location to walk around the small town. I would stay in that room again. Kinda like visiting an old Aunty in Yakima. Funky, eccentric, small town feel. The innkeeper was pleasant and told us about things to check out around town. Nice student checked us out the next day. Felt the price was fair.

We stayed to take a look at UCDavis the next morning. Tour was at 10:30 AM so we checked out and took car to other side of campus for the tour. And in response to earlier reviewer, walking across the campus from the Davis Inn would have been no big deal unless you are out of shape or infirmed. Tour was interesting and I recommend it to prospective applicants and even just for a nice campus walk for those who aren't.

So if you are nostalgic, romantic, artistic, laid back, or like quaintness and something off the beaten path, with a neighborhood feel, I highly recommend the Davis Inn.

• Liked — Comfort, location, the alley walk behind and the walk thru the neighborhood
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2007

We stayed at the Davis Inn for 2 nights in January 2007.
I was travelling with my 15 year old nephew so asked for a room with two beds. We were housed in the rear of the Inn - I think the double rooms in the house might be nicer. Our room was okay but certainly lacked the "cottage charm" I had expected. The bathroom was tiny - thankfully, the hand basin was in the room. The breakfast was very nice and the service friendly. Location is not bad but I agree with one of the earlier posts that the Best Western might be a better location/choice for my next visit. The Best Western also has an excellent restaurant/cafe on the ground level that has great coffee and meals.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Standard/style of room and tiny bathroom
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2007

I am afraid I have several complaints.

The top complaint is that the beds were very uncomfortable. We slept in a room with two beds and both of us had back aches the next morning.

I blew a circuit breaker using my hair dryer. A standing heater was plugged in to a nearby outlet and I guess this was too much for the wiring in the house. The next day I was told the house is old and that does happen sometimes.

The room was clean but the Inn does not look nearly as pretty in real life as it does in the photos on the website.

The light fixture in the bathroom did not work well and there was not much water pressure for the shower. The sink and mirror were located in the room and the sink worked just fine.

At breakfast bagels and danishes were on the table,along with fruit, coffee and tasty orange juice. A very nice college student hired by the Inn offered to cook us pancakes, french toast, and some other tasty dishes but I was in a hurry so I declined. I suspect the cooked-to-order breakfast would have been good though, and the Inn will also cook your breakfast and bring it to your room.

This Inn is right across the street from UC Davis...true... however it is right across the street from the athletic stadium and you can stay at the Best Western in town which is a couple of blocks from UC Davis and actually be closer to the main quad area of the University.

If I ever come to Davis again I will stay somewhere else, especially because of the uncomfortable beds.

Stayed February 2007

Been to Davis Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!