“This place will be sorely missed.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of University Inn Bed and Breakfast

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Davis
University Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added University Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
340 A St, Davis, CA 95616   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Davis B&B and Inns
Lompoc, CA
“This place will be sorely missed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

I read your only review on this inn and expected the worst, but it was all that was available. Instead, I found it to be a wonderful little place. The innkeeper assisted me with directions to shopping, real estate management and restaurants and was readily available whenever I needed him. My room was clean, comfortable and convenient to everything at UC-Davis and Downtown Davis. Whoever wrote the April, 2005 review must've been a negative Nelly.

I found out, upon my departure, that the inn was being closed by the owners after more than 20 years of operation. From my viewpoint, it will be sadly missed. I stay in Davis for business occasionally, and this was the only pleasant stay I've had there. Kudos to the Yanchers for what were probably many years of great service.

• Liked — The innkeeper and the location
  • Disliked — It was closing after 20+ years in business
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay in Davis...this was the only place in town where I didn't have to wear tennis shoes in the shower!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Couples
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2005

This establishment does not deserve to call itelf a B&B - the "breakfast" is the same continental fare you'd find at any Econo Lodge. Actually, it's worse because the croissants are stale, and there are no bagels, toast, etc. Seemingly the proprieters of the University Inn thought owning a Bed and Breakfast would be a great way to make a quick buck, and have put as little effort into the venture as possible. The room we were assigned (the Dean's Quarters) has the exact same style and feel as staying in your Grandmother's guest room, only with a slightly larger bathroom. Absolutely no thought was put into the decor (cheap linens, stuffed animals on the beds, hideously out-of-date furniture) and the owners simply threw in the cheapest items they could find. The room was clean however, so that was not a problem. Breakfast was laughable. There was a small fridge in the room (which is always nice in hotel rooms, so I will give them that) that contained, upon arrival, a flask of orange juice (which tasted terrible) and two plates of sliced oranges and grapefruit. On a TV tray next to the bed were the abovementioned stale croissants and two muffins of varying size (the muffins tasted fine, thankfully). Apparently it would be far too much trouble for the owners of this place to prepare breakfast themselves or even so much as deliver it in the mornings, so they simply leave it for you a day ahead of time and have a coffee maker in the hallway that is set to brew at a pre-determined time every morning. This is not what I am expecting when I stay in a Bed and Breakfast. Incidentally, we never so much as saw the owners the entire weekend we stayed there, when generally at a B&B the proprieters won't leave you alone. Also, the room was freezing cold at all hours of the day with no way to control the heat. The only really saving grace of the University Inn is that it is literally across the street from UC Davis and within walking distance to the downtown area. Oh, and it has DirecTV. Which you can watch on the 12 inch television.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to University Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!