“Motel 6, Davis, CA” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Davis
Reno, Nevada
“Motel 6, Davis, CA”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I chose Motel 6 in Davis during a visit to UC Davis, Veterinary Medical Teaching College with my dog. I live in Reno & UC Davis (past Sacramento) is approximately a 3 hour drive one way. My Golden Retriever was referred to UC Davis to see an ophthalmologist on a Monday. A CT Scan was scheduled & I needed to drop off my pet the next afternoon. I called several pet friendly motels listed with UC Davis. Three hotels were in the $70 per night range & charged either $15 or $20 extra for a pet. Motel 6, with a discount (AARP) quoted around $41 per night, no charge for pets. There is a charge for wifi of $2.99 per 24 hours.
If you are looking for amenities, this is not your motel. I’ve had more amenities on a cattle drive but the motel was well suited for my needs! The room and bathroom were very clean, no complaints. The room was average, one queen bed (my choice), TV, phone, shower stall in bathroom, four plastic cups & ice bucket, no hair dryer, no Kleenex, no alarm clock. There is coffee in the lobby in the morning, no breakfast. There is also a pool & the surrounding area of the pool appeared to be clean.
The desk clerk on afternoon duty was extremely pleasant and helpful & everyone I met was very nice to both me & my dog. The clerk even suggested a more quiet room away from the interstate (which is in back of the motel). The desk clerk also recommended a park where I could take my dog (its location is next to an elementary school and a nice housing development) less than half a mile away where I could walk my dog. I took my dog there that afternoon & the next morning. The park has an area where dogs are allowed off leash. There is also a dog park a couple miles away but I do not do dog parks. At night, I walked my dog around the motel—not charming, just some bushes lining the curbs around the parking light but the area was lighted.
There is a Subway across the street, also a Valero gas station. I do not recommend buying hot beverages at that Valero--their coffee was barely warm so I traded it for hot water & a tea bag (water not really hot enough either). Next door to the motel is “Cindy’s Kitchen”, a small restaurant where I had breakfast. Next to that is a Taco Bell. I seem to remember a small shopping center at the corner where I turned around when I missed the motel on arrival but I did not really focus on what was there.
There is no restaurant at the motel (only vending machines) so assigned the lowest rating for that reason. Since I only stayed one night, I could not accurately rate services & basically assigned average ratings for everything else. Would I stay here during a vacation? No. However, the motel met my needs for the night, the price was right & I had no complaints. I will, unfortunately, and sadly, be going back to UC Davis with my pet again next week as they found he has a tumor. It will be necessary to stay the night again & I will be calling Motel 6. Once the tumor is identified and he is able to begin 3 weeks of radiation, I will need to be spending more time than I would like at Motel 6 but I’m sure when I call they will say “we’ll leave the light on for you.”

Room Tip: A busy interstate (I-80) is directly behind the back of the motel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

the desk staff and employees are very, very nice and professional. they are also helpful with any problems you might have. the problem is that this is still a sad, icky motel. although i'm sure the linens on my bed were all clean, my flannel blanket had several holes in it that were clearly burned by cigarettes (certain rooms allow smoking). it's fine if all you need a bed for a night or two and are looking for the lowest cost option, but it's a motel and motels just have that certain . . . element. everything was tidy and the carpet looked relatively new but just really understand the type of establishment a motel 6 is. also, the wifi (which is $2.99 per day) was super annoying--it keeps asking you to re-enter the password every 5 minutes.

Room Tip: For a good wifi signal, apparently rooms 212, 226, and 228 are better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tracy ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Thanks for your reviews I haven't laughed that hard in days.
I had to change rooms a couple of times.
The first room was like an inferno with a filthy carpet.
The second room you guessed it filthy carpet but at least it wasn't blazing hot.
And after I cover the blinking smoke detector I was able to get to sleep.
Don't I repeat don't drink the coffee unless you like tolit water it will ruin your day.
Oh ya and I am not sure you should be drinking that ice cube water lol
But besides that it was great.
Cheers

Room Tip: Away from the freeway and pool
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
sav260
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

What do people expect from a Motel 6. For our needs it was a perfect location. We stayed in room 102 which is away from the noise of I-80 which really helps. When we got to our room it had a smell as if the carpet had just been cleaned and it wasn't dry or the room hadn't been used after it had been clean. Other then that it your typical Motel 6 room two full beds, a tv, a night stand and your bathroom. The only draw back we had in our room was the A/C in low it seemed that the fan of the bathroom was on all night and once I turned it to high it seemed that we had a washing maching top lodding one. If you get chance and stay here make sure you go to Guadalajaras which is just down the street on Mace ave. in the shopping center were Burger King is located. Their Burrito grande can feed a family of five. Just to tell you we had burrito for dinner and lunch the next day. We well stay again when we came back.

Room Tip: The closer you are to Chiles Rd the better!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for three nights while attending our son's graduation. As others have mentioned, this is a no-frills hotel. Our room was clean and had a new shower. There are no hairdryers in the room, but I was cherrily provided one at the front desk. There is a coin laundry on site that came in handy for some wet hiking clothes. Our room faced the highway, but that wasn't a problem. One night some people were very noisy in the pool at 3 am, but some things you can't do much about. The price was VERY reasonable, and we'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

I stayed here one night before visiting UC Davis the next day. The room itself wasn't the cleanest Motel 6 I've ever stayed in: namely, it smelled slightly of smoke and dogs, even though it was labeled a non-smoking room. I could not tell whether the smell was coming from my room or wafting in through the vents. On the other hand, the sheets, towels, and bathroom seemed clean, which is, of course, what's most important. The room was just large enough to fit the two full-sized beds and desk.

I was given a room facing the pool, away from the freeway, so noise wasn't an issue. This may not be the case on the other side of the building. The receptionists were wonderful. Wifi costs money.

Because the rates here were so much cheaper than nearby motels, I only expected the basics and that's what I got. Recommended for budget travelers.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2007

I don't mind staying in budget motels but I expect a certain level of cleanliness that this Motel 6 didn't provide. I arrived late and wasn't in the mood to complain to the front desk or ask for housekeeping. But there were insects and spiders in the room, the bathroom wasn't very clean, the carpet was dirty and stained, and the furniture had sticky spots. There was no shampoo - just a bar of soap. However, I just needed to crash for one night and checked out early. Will not be staying there again!

• Liked — Location, right off highway
  • Disliked — Cleanliness (lack thereof)
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Motel 6 Davis? Share your experiences!