“Small Hotel, Great Value!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Breakfast & WIFI
Ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Davis
Los angeles
“Small Hotel, Great Value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

My son and I stayed here for two nights visiting UC Davis recently. We had a great experience. When I was comparing all the nearby hotels listed on the college's website, I was wonderfully surprised by the Hyatt's convenient location. It sits right on campus next door to the visitor's welcoming center! For less than $150 a night, we had a spacious room with complementary breakfasts, free shuttle to anywhere in Davis at anytime. The room is well-furnished. The bathroom is a little small, but with the sink positioned outside the bathroom door, the shortcoming is easily overcome. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. The lobby is cozy and has a nice flow. My son even spent a couple of quiet hours down there and got some study done. I would recommend it to anyone visiting UC Davis.

Room Tip: You would have a view no matter which direction your room faces, as there is no tall buildings surro...

180 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

This is a good, clean updated motel that is right on the UC Davis campus. We chose this place because it is pet friendly -- we had an appointment with a specialist at the UC Davis Vet School the next morning. We stayed one night with our golden retriever, for whom we paid an extra $100.00. The staff was friendly, very helpful and attentive. The front desk is open 24/7. There is a gym if you have the time for a workout. Breakfast included. No amenities like bellmen or room service, but that is to be expected. Would recommend for anyone who needs a room close to the campus.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

This was a very nice property located in the heart of the Davis Campus. It was clean and comfortable. We had a Jr suite. It had a sectional with a hassock , so watching the flat screen Tv was comfortable. Free breakfast was good. They have a complimentary shuttle to take you to the downtown area, which we did for dinner. This was a nice quiet stop for us as we were traveling north on I 5, and did not want to drive through the busy Sacramento area. On our way there we stopped at the Bogle Winery which is about a half hour away. I would recommend that as well.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Southern CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Similar to a recent reviewer, I also wanted to like this hotel better than I did. I had called in advance to request a room on the top floor; on a previous stay there was noise from people walking in the room above. When we arrived, the front desk clerk asked if we wanted a room on the first or second floor, so there was no record of my request. I said the second floor, thinking it was the top floor (my mistake--there are actually 4 floors--but it was dark and late). So when someone in the room above me was walking at 5:00 a.m., I heard every step. Items in my room were slightly vibrating from the movement. The staff is very nice, but that is not enough--they must also be competent.
The breakfast has many choices. The quality of the items I chose was not very high: the french toast was good but was slightly hard--it had been sitting out awhile. The fruit was not very good and the coffee was dreadful (visit Peets in town). Breakfast was not that busy, but the staff was unable to keep up: they ran out of glasses, silverware and water.
However, there are many things to like about the hotel. If you have business at UC Davis, its location on the campus is ideal. The lobby and breakfast area are lovely--open and well-lit. They have a shuttle that will take guests into town that runs until 10 pm. Guests can stow their luggage after checking out--very convenient if you are touring the campus. The rooms are spacious with a nice living room area that has comfortable couches and a lot of light for reading.
We had a better stay when we visited in 2012. The Hyatt has the potential to be a great hotel but isn't there yet.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I really wanted to like this place because it's my daughter's first choice on our tour of college campuses. I did everything I could. I told them I was a senior writer for tripadvisor and I booked our rooms well in advance. I asked for adjourning rooms. I didn't know about the train track. We didn't get the adjourning rooms. Our daughter got the quieter side (the even numbered rooms face away from the train track). My husband and I have a deal that he will agree to turn off the air conditioning at night if I agree to have the windows open. I wear earplugs because he snores but he does not wear earplugs,too (I know, not fair). So, the outside needs to be quiet in order for our deal to work. To make matters worse, this hotel puts a low wall air conditioners two feet from the bed (and in the case of this room, it was the left side which is my side). The management was great and moved us to a much quieter room (farther away from our daughter :( and the bed in our new room was a bit saggy. We slept ok and woke up to the smell of cigarette smoke outside our window. Breakfast was a bit crazy as they were not used to the volume of guests and ran out of bowls, forks, knifes, OJ, oatmeal and... The staff worked so hard, multitasking between waiter, concierge and check out. It's an odd set up. But the lobby is beautiful...I think this could work if I just choose an even number for a room. My daughter loves UC Davis and I really do want this to work out.

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

It's rare that I come across a PERFECT hotel stay. The Hyatt Place at UCD is it. The hotel backs up to the arboretum. There are free bikes to use if you are a guest & the most wonderful paths to bike on throughout town. I'd highly recommend checking out a map of the "greenbelt" (bike paths) prior to visiting.

The best part of the visit was how incredibly helpful & caring all the members of staff are. I stayed awake late one night working & Pang was wonderful at the front desk. Kerry is an absolute joy as are Jessica, Lisa & the whole group. I can't believe I actually remember so many people working at the hotel.

It's a very new hotel, so everything feels crisp & clean.

My only (slight) gripe is the seemingly excessive use of butter or mayo on the delicious hot breakfast sandwiches. Oh yeah, did I mention the incredible breakfast every morning???

In any case, we are actually heading back again this weekend because we had so much fun last time.

P.S. Get a to-go order of dumplings & potstickers from the Dumpling House & eat it while sitting on a bench overlooking the water on the UC Davis campus (not far from the hotel). An excellent picnic.

Stayed March 2014
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I was visiting my alma mater and needed a last minute room. We got a great deal on a hotel site and the room was perfect. We were away from the noise and had a great view. There was plenty of space and amenities. If you forgot your travel items such as a razor or brush, the hotel would get you one easily. The futon was a great surprise when we had an extra guest. Great place to stay if you want to explore Davis and not deal with university or downtown traffic.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Place UC Davis? Share your experiences!