“The owners were mean but now they don't answer the phone so it's ok.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kokomo's Pizza

Kokomo's Pizza
33495 Del Obispo St, Dana Point, CA 92629-1502
+1 949-488-0404
Improve this listing
Ranked #73 of 115 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Italian, Sandwiches, Pizza & Pasta, Chicken Wings
orange county
“The owners were mean but now they don't answer the phone so it's ok.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stopped eating at Kokomos 4 years ago because the owner was rude to me as I was placing an order. I recently ordered pizza and now they have someone else (maybe new ownership?) running the phone lines. The pizza was good, so now I'm back. I just hope the old owner doesn't take to the phones anytime soon.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Western Hemisphere
“Kokomo is a Bummer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

KOKOMO CAN KISS MY POPOMO!
by Eddie WannaBee (7 reviews)
August 12, 2011 - Doesn't like it
Pizza crust: Oily, chewy. Ingredients: Cheese that can not be categorized but when it goes cold you can tell how poor in quality it is, truly one of the worst there is. Bell Peppers, Onions, Black Olives, Mushrooms not be blamed, they were fresh and al Dente. Sauce: can not figure out from what can it comes from but probably one that is not very expensive.
I ordered the Thin Crust but was given the regular. When I pointed out this I was met with silence, kind of like the owner saying to himself it is too late to change it so I was told that was their thin crust.
First time in the place and was lured by the kind remarks of a few customers. Saying things like it was out of the ordinary, that the owner remember their names, that this and that, all good lured me in like a fresh trout into the fisherman's net. Their Lasagna is a concoction that should not dare call itself lasagna but it seems to happen everywhere: they already have the sauce that goes in about 95% of their menu so why not add a classy dish like Lasagna. When I called in my order I asked the owner how good was his lasagna, his reply: Awesome! Left no room for doubt. Their garlic bread far better than the gooey mess KoKoMo calls lasagna. My female companion simply said after a couple of bites: "disgusting". The point is that when a person has already tasted a great lasagna all others will be measured against the best they had. Sadly lasagna in pizza places is more like an afterthought than a true symbol of culinary excellence. My pizza sucked big lemons, the lasagna was tomato in a can (no home made marinara in this place) with the cheapest form of beef one can buy. I understand cutting cost is imperative but go tell that to In-And-Out as lines of cars and people buy their stuff.
I passed by this place many times until today I finally decided to Google it and believing the hype I spent my hard earned money in the place. Comments like charitable with the community, patrons remembered by their names caught our attention so we ordered. The owner is a cocky fellow, certainly arrogant and since it is his place and I had already placed the order what else to do but wait. No! This pizza is no better no worst than your basic dull, uneventful pizza. Arrogance can only justify its reason for being when a truly excellent product is being served. The place is basically deserted here in Dana Point in Del Obispo by Albertson's. I rate it very low because already people have given it many glowing reviews. Maybe they gave me different food and the high praisers get the real good food, I do not know and couldn't care less at this point. Too arrogant, Kokomo, to be serving such a mediocre fare. 2 Stars at most!

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“The best owner ever! Great pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

Small place, always seems empty, but the service is fast and the pizza great. Went once to order, and didn't have cash. They can't take credit for less than $10 (large pepperoni only $6.99!!) so I said I'll be back, I'm going across the street to the ATM. The owner says no problem, just pay me next time! I insist on going so when I come back, he tells me he 1/2 cooked my pizza and put it back in the oven when I pulled up, so it would be tasty and fresh! Just a great place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere