“Great Food, Amazing Service” 5 of 5 stars

949-234-3318
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Stonehill Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 111 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Californian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Los Angeles, California
“Great Food, Amazing Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We had eaten at a few Michael Mina restaurants in Los Angeles and San Francisco in the past, so when we heard Stonehill Tavern was his Orange County restaurant, we figured this was a good time to try it. We did not make reservations, but didn't have any problems walking up to the bar to get a seat. And we're glad we did because we had the most amazing, attentive service.

We brought our own bottle of wine with us and when we sat down, our bartender/server immediately opened it to let it breathe. We offered him a glass and that seemed to set the tone for the evening. A few minutes later, and before we had even ordered anything, we had courses of appetizers brought out to sample - ahi tuna tartare, kona kanpachi, kale chips, handmade saffron fusilli and a couple other things I can't remember. They were all delicious!!

For dinner, we ordered the Cape Cod Sea Scallops and Filet Mignon. The scallops were amazing and melted in your mouth. The filet was a little disappointing, actually, quite disappointing for the hefty price tag.

One of the best things about the service is that as we were getting ready to leave, our server handed us an envelope and on it it read "thank you for spending your evening with me. here's a little something for you to remember your night." and inside, he had laminated the wine labels of the 2 wines we had that evening. It was a classy touch.

Visited March 2014

“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Excellent service. We were staying at a neighboring hotel and decided to try for the first time. The wine menu was fairly extensive (for Utah), and one of the waiters at the restaurant Marc, I believe, was very helpful in negotiating this list. Amongst our group, we sampled a little of everything off the menu and from the creative appetizers to main courses for the entire table were all outstanding. I would have to say however, with my husbands lamb, I think the fat cap could be trimmed just a hair, and still leave all the flavor, giving a nicer "perception" but other than that, superb meal. The desserts were very whimsical and intricate, their is obviously a world class pastry chef here. I definitely recommend the doughnuts and lemon lime tart with currant glaze. I would, however like to see a little more extensive single malt scotch list, it was fairly lacking considering the extensive wine menu, so we passed on after dinner cordials. Might I recommend a nice Auchentoshan? We will definitely be back next winter, great job to all, and thanks for the wonderful experience.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“great onsite dinner dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

tasteful setting and tasteful food, presentation and service were great!. This place was packed for hotel fine dinning, but understandable so, with the great food & ambiance.

Visited July 2013
Anaheim Hills, California
“Thanksgiving dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Dinner at the St Regis in Dana Point. Very expensive but also very beautiful. Our table looked out over the ocean at sunset. Oysters, lobster fritters (outstanding), Caesar salad (okay), foie gras and scallops (great), and lobster pot pie (very good). Our waiter was great and he paired wines with the different courses. Valet parked for free (tipped). Meal with cocktails and wine cost $342.00.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Terrible service! ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I went to the Stonehill Tavern on our honeymoon. When I made reservations I mentioned it was our honeymoon and they told us they'd give us a great table. When we arrived they seated us in a not so great seat, when we asked for a booth they turned us down. We ordered our drinks and waited a long time for our server to return. We ordered our food, my husband ordered the steak, I ordered the scallops. The food was actually pretty good but they brought my husband the wrong potatoes. The server never came back to check on us! I notified the restaurant manager and all she offered was to take care of us the next time we return. Return? I don't think so!