“Food Pricey and Average” 3 of 5 stars

949-234-3318
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Stonehill Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 111 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Californian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
San Antonio, TX
“Food Pricey and Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I ate here twice during my stay at the St. Regis. The first night I had the black cod. It was ok. It would have been better without the sauce. The second night I had the halibut. A much better choice. It was good. The bread served with the meals was excellent! Overall, I would have prefered a different place for the price.

Visited November 2012

Los Angeles, CA
“Great food with great views.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We enjoyed the tasting menu with wine. Since there were two of us, we got one of each so we could try more things. It made for a very fun and tasty evening!

Visited June 2012
“Wow! Beautiful restaurant & great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

It was a complete dining experience! Great food. Lovely atmosphere. Fabulous, gracious service. Wine list is to die for!

Visited October 2012
Los Angeles
“Very good food. Atmosphere and service not quite up to par”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Ok, first the "not so good" (there wasn't really anything bad about Stonehill). The kitchen literally forgot to cook our dinner, so we sat for about 45 minutes with no food, until we said something. Just when I was starting to get upset, the server comped us three drinks, two deserts, and apologized multiple times. So, I thought they did a wonderful job making up for the mistake. Our server was very good and knowledgable, but overworked. I don't think they have enough servers. The atmosphere is decent, but the music (not a live band) was played WAY to loud, causing people to have loud conversations. So for the good, I thought was the food was VERY good. Michael Mina's classic lobster pot pie is a MUST. It really is very good and original. Overall a very good restauant, but not as good as the original in San Francisco.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kamuela, HI
“Not in keeping with what you expect from Michael Mina”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We have dined at Stonehill Tavern several times over the years and my opinion is that it has never been one of Michael Mina's super stars. However, our most recent visit will likely keep me from coming back. I will happily pay the price at Michael Mina's in San Francisco or at the Bellagio in Las Vegas - both are knock your socks off over the top great experiences - consistently. Stonehill does not deliver the same and seems to be sliding down hill rather than the other way. We of course did the whole deal from appetizers to desert and the only thing I can say that was worthy of Michael Mina's name was the Ahi Tartar which is his signature dish and can be found at every restaurant he owns. Everything else was uninspired and not worthy of the Michael Mina name. Very disappointing.

• Visited September 2012